“Exceptionally Good Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newark
N IRELAND
“Exceptionally Good Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Stayed 4 nights in the Hilton found it very clean,comfortable & friendly it was very convnvenient to Penn station and the NJ bus station both easy excess into Manhattan
The room was adequate, not as spacious or as good as the Marriott Courtyard at Elizabeth which we usually stay at, but the Hilton wins because it is much easier to travel in and out of Manhattan from it
Not having to wait for the hotel shuttle to pick you up at the end of a tiring day was a bonus just leave the train 5 mins later in your bedroom

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Its a mess. I was almost scared away by the gentleman in the lobby who screamed at me from across the downstairs"Welcome to the Hilton!!!" All is not good at this hotel. Its dirty, stains on the hall carpets, etc. Just old and dingy!! Needs an updue. Lotsa negativity. Kudos to the front desk agents who were attentive and engaging. Nothing else pleasant!! Lazy door staff. I actually saw one of the doorman eating a peach!!! Hole in the wall!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Jersey City, NJ USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I stayed here for one night with a group of friends during the annual Portuguese festival in the Ironbound. The hotel is centrally located directly adjacent to Newark Penn Station. I didn't realize at the time of booking, but there is a covered elevated walkway that you can take directly from inside the train station that will take you right to the front lobby of the hotel - a big plus so you can avoid the weather / traffic outside.

The lobby is very nicely decorated, and check-in couldn't have been simpler. Our room was on the third floor, and was very nicely appointed with a flat screen TV, 2 comfortable beds, a desk and good closet space. The bathroom, while a little small, was very new and clean.

I didn't explore the hotel too much or use any amenities like the business service. However, for our purposes, the hotel met or exceeded all our expectations. The only downside, which was a minor one, was the adjacent gateway area. There were several small shops / Starbucks that were adjacent to the lobby, but they appeared to be closed on the weekend. Other than this, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

A quick tip - if you enjoy good food, take a walk down Ferry Street (2 blocks away from the hotel). They have a great amount of excellent Portuguese and Brazilian cuisine (try Iberia Restaurant, which is my personal favorite) - excellent steaks and seafood!

Pros:

price
location (It's only a 20 min train ride into the NYC financial district .)
style
cleanliness

cons:

lounge + gateway center closed on weekends

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

I stayed here for New years eve, I got a excellent deal on Hotwire for about $70 a night, When I checked in the rooms were running about $200.00 a night and people were fighting to get a room because the hotel was sold out. From the moment we parked the care we knew this hotel was great. It was a group of 4 women and at last minute some other friends wanted to join us so believe it or not it was 5 women and 3 men in one double room, lol. We asked for a roll bed, but dont waste your time it was better sleeping on the floor with a sleeping bag. lol. The room was very clean, room service was excellent and staff was good. One of my friend from Newark came by and she took the train to Penn station and walked right across the street to the hotel. There was alot of places to eat in the area that pricing was good. I enjoyed it alot, we all had a great experience and the hotel staff made it more pleasant

• Stayed December 2006
West Midlands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Hilton Newark Penn station, having chosen this hotel for its proximity to the railway station because we were travelling out on Amtrak.

There is good access to New York City on either New Jersey Transit or PATH. NJ Transit to New York Penn Station is more expensive but quicker, although it is actually 18-19 minutes (timetable) and not the 10 minutes that another reviewer has quoted. Also, NJ Transit trains don't run as often as PATH so when you take waiting time into account, it can take longer.

We caught the free shuttle from Newark Airport to the hotel and were very impressed by the welcome we received from the driver. It's a pity the shuttles only run once an hour though. You have to take the AirTrain to the area where hotel shuttles pick up and there didn't look to be a taxi rank there, so if you missed the shuttle you would either have to wait an hour or get the AirTrain back to where you could get a taxi.

The room was pretty much standard Hilton, very comfortable and well-appointed. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed dinner in the restaurant, but breakfast was the worst meal I've ever been served anywhere in the US – it took a long time to arrive, despite there only being 2 other diners when we arrived, and was inedible, and it takes some doing to mess up breakfast. Fortunately we had been given a breakfast voucher so were not paying for the meal, which I certainly would not have done.

As another reviewer has noted, the concierge lounge is closed on weekends. There is no mention of this on their website, it was not highlighted when I booked a Concierge room on a weekend, and it wasn't even mentioned at check in. I only found out when I walked past the lounge, was puzzled to see it closed, and read the opening hours on the door. I was extremely annoyed about this because I had specifically chosen, and paid for, a Concierge room so we would have access to the lounge when we arrived at the hotel after a long flight on Saturday, and after a long day walking around New York City on Sunday. There is absolutely no difference in the rooms other than lounge access, so I feel I was conned into paying extra for a service that it was known would not available.

Although it wasn't explained as such, I presume the breakfast voucher we were given was in lieu of the continental breakfast which we should have been able to get in the lounge – hence we only had one voucher although we were staying 2 nights (the lounge was open on Monday morning). But, as I've already said, the breakfast was inedible. And even if it had been okay, the cost of one breakfast each didn't cover the difference between a standard room and the Concierge room I had booked, and certainly didn't adequately compensate for the lack of the lounge on Saturday and Sunday.

Overall, I would stay at the hotel again if in the area, I just wouldn't book a Concierge room. And it has adversely affected my opinion of Hilton. I believe the website should clearly state that the lounge is not available on weekends, and it should be highlighted when anyone tries to book a Concierge room on a weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

So, I just got back from staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. I was only there for 2 night as the purpose of my trip was SHOPPING. The staff was okay, but I really must say one of the best parts of my short vacation was Eddy the doorman. He was so helpful to my boyfriend and I. He told about great local places to eat and where the best shopping was, he even told us about how to get a great deal on Broadway tickets. The location of the hotel is fantastic, about 10 minutes from the airport and attached to Penn Station; an added bonus. I booked my trip on hotwire.com for $64. a night and BOY what a deal. A fantastic time was had by all

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hull-Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

The hotel is just across Penn Station Newark (1 minute walk) and one station away from Penn Station New York (10 Minute ride with New Jersey transit-4$ one way). Once at Penn Station New York, it is walking distance to Times Square and is a skip and hop away from Madison Square Garden (on top of station).This hotel is perfect for those who do not mind the transit, who are not in a hurry and want to save their money for the shopping and restaurants rather than spending it on a room in New York. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly and helpful, beds were comfortable, and their is a Starbucks by lobby . We traveled by car from Quebec, Canada and found it easily accessible without the big city traffic driving in and out. Traveling with the NJ Transit was fun and adventurous. Locals were very helpful when we had questions whether on transit or directions. To block out the bustle of traffic in rooms, switch on FAN button on heater-AC.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!