“We loved it here!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Utah
“We loved it here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

So I realize that my perception might be skewed by the fact that I'm young and don't stay in alot of nice hotels, but my husband and I loved it here. We booked over a weekend, friday to tuesday, and we paid $130 a night (including taxes and fees), an INSANE deal for the new york area! It was super cheap, we loved the room, the renovating looks great, the sheets were soft, they even let us check in at 10am since we requested early check in and they had a room available! We of course loved how convenient the hotel is to the train station, only a 15 minute ride on PATH to Manhattan. AND, if you take PATH clear to the World Trade Center stop, the last couple minutes of the ride is down in the actual construction, a better view than most people get!

• Liked — Price, Location
  • Disliked — the cups were usually gone at their complementary beverage station at the front dest
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

I have stayed at the Hilton Family of hotels on several trips before and always like to try and stay at one when I travel. For this trip to NYC with my two girlfriends, we found that the hotel was hundreds more affordable than staying in Manhattan and even Brooklyn. The hotel was right at the station where we were to take a nice 17 minute subway ride into midtown. Not so much. The trains come about every 30 minutes and then stop at each station for at least another 5-10 minutes to allow passengers on and off. The two places within NYC that the PATH train lets off are inconvenient and aren't located to any major subway train line. Upon on our arrival to the hotel, the front desk service let us know that our room was booked for the wrong nights even after confirming our reservation earlier that morning. The lady at the desk, Valerie, stopped helping us to help a guy call a car. After finally situating our rooms, we decided to schedule a car service to take us back into the city. We were told that the front desk would call and let us know when our car was available. 5 minutes after our scheduled time for pick up; we had still not received a call and went downstairs where Valerie was nowhere to be found. The bell desk called her and only then did she call the car service. She said it would take 5 minutes because they were right around the corner. 15 minutes later the bell desk decided to call their own car service since the one Valerie had scheduled had not shown up yet. 45 minutes after we were supposed to have a car, two showed up. We took the car into the city (I don't suggest this on a Friday night, it took an hour and 15 minutes) we found out that the car would not be charged to the room and we would have to pay cash. After returning back to the hotel, the entrance from Penn Station was closed so we had to go onto the streets and walk back to the hotel. The entrance supposedly closes at 11 pm, however anytime after 9 pm when we arrived, they were already locked. The beds were comfortable at least and there are nice flat panel televisions in the room. But we didn't go to stay in the hotel, which had horrible service and never once apologized for it. This hotel is not worth the amount you pay or deserving of the repuation that Hilton hotels have.

• Liked — The beds, the bath products
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

The Hilton's location is excellent if you are arriving or departing by train. The property is reasonably clean. The staff was unfailingly polite and helpful. The lobby staff was on duty well into the wee hours which adds to the feeling of security. Internet access was fast and easy, though I continue to feel robbed by internet fees in high-priced hotels when mid-range ones provide it free. Grrr.

On the downside, hotel services and nearby ameneties have a smaller range of hours. The adjacent starbucks is closed on weekends for example. Room service exists but ends at midnight. The guest phone system is dated and at times not fully functional. My room was generally clean but not fully serviced -- used razor in the tub, all the soaps unwrapped and used, hair dryer out in the bed area, etc.

On a second night during my return leg, I had the same experience but the room was completely serviced. All hotels have occaisional oversights.

Overall I feel the price was high for the value, but Hilton does provide a safe and secure hotel in a great location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Howell, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

My teenaged son and I stayed at the Hilton Newark for 4 nights in June '08. Overall, I was satisfied with my stay. My satisfaction had more to do with the hotel location than with the hotel itself. We stayed in the double bed guest room. The room was nice - a tad bit small, but most NY area hotel rooms tend to be a little small. The big screen t.v. is nice and so are the granite counters in the room and bathroom. Cons: The telephones in my room did not work and a call to the front desk using my cellphone did not remedy it. I was only able to receive a dial tone - none of the in-house buttons worked. Also, the bathroom is very, very small. The hotel restaurant is also small but they do serve breakfast through dinner up to midnight so that was convenient. Pros: Location, price, location. Easy access to Newark Penn to catch the train and be in NY in 20 minutes. Hotel savings and easy access to NY were enough to outweigh the minor problems in the room. Overall, I am satisfied with my stay and I would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Extra Small Bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

I got to the hotel only to learn that Hilton, unlike most other hotels in the free world, does not permit free internet access. Charging $9.95/day for access ranks somewhere between leech and bloodsucker. NEVER AGAIN!

Ted

• Liked — Next to Penn Square
  • Disliked — Charging for every amenity
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

Hilton Newark penn is one of the best hotel to stay if you visit New York. Hotel has skywalk to train station which is very convenient to travel to NYC. Rooms are very neat and it has everything except Microwave & Refrigerator. Rates for the weekend is also btwn $130-$150 per night. It was fun staying at Hilton, in fact this was our first stay at Hilton and we enjoyed a lot.
They have shuttle service to & from airport every 1 hr.

• Liked — The Location and Cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
SALTCOATS, AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Hi everyone

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night as we were flying to Las Vegas the next morning, we wanted a hotel close to the airport and a hotel where we could go into the city.

We arrrived at Newark airport and made our way to P4 to call to get the bus to the hotel, we had to wait about 15 minutes for the bus to arrive.

We arrived at the hotel, and to get to reception you have to go up the esculator, we had 3 bags and a baby buggy so it was quite a struggle for us but we managed, there was bell boy taking peoples luggage on a trolley so I image there is a service elevator but nothing I could see for guests and we have stayed at this hotel before, so I would check this out first if you need a wheelchair.

I checked in and there was no line and it was a very quick process, there was some juice at reception, some water with ice and lemons, it was really refreshing.

I made my way to the lift you need to use your room key to make the elevator work.

We had 2 double beds in the room, as we had an infant it helped us out.

We got changed and headed out to the station that is joined onto the hotel. We bought a Metrocard and got off at the World Trade Centre.

The next morning we got some food at the shops next to the hotel, our friends ate at the hotel for breakfast and enjoyed it. We never ate dinneer in the hotel either as we ate in manhattan so I cant comment on the food at the hotel.

As I mentioned before we have stayed at this hotel before, it was in December 2007.

We never used the gym, or pool, or any business facilities so im sorry I can't comment on that, we only stayed 1 night and the hotel suited our needs.

There was a hairdryer and shampoo and conditioner in the room, and my husband enjoyed the coffee he made as well.

After our 7 and a half hour flight from Glasgow we all slept great and found the bed so comfy and relaxing.

We would stay at this hotel again. We booked through the Hilton website and paid about £66 for 1 night which we were happy paying. That could be $115.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• Liked — The comfy bed
  • Disliked — taking 3 cases and a buggy up an escalator
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!