“dated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

on arrival we had a lovely greating of the staff, went to our room , very spacious and very clean. and very comfortable. the hotel its self needs a massive update its well behind the times needs a fresh look, staff very good info very good the local metro and trains bit scary in the evening not that friendl,, outside of hotel looks very tired the worn look. trains roughly 10 dollars to nyc and back does not take long 15mins. the bar is nice gluten free food for those in need of gluten free.. stop was ok but pick somewhere else next time not impressed overall

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Atlanta, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Regarding the specific issue that I mentioned: On arrival, I checked in and the desk associate took a moment to step back and speak with a manager about which room to bring back "on-line". This did not click with me at the time that there would be an issue requiring the room to not be on-line in the first place. Then the manager informed me that it was "one of the best rooms" they have because it was a corner and had an out-of-the-bathroom sink. I was alone, so this quality alone was not a bonus for me. I then went up to my room to find it a normal room on the 7th floor. It appeared adequate at that time. I went to the business function I was in town for and arrived back to my room very late, after midnight. With the early flight that morning, busy day, storms, and late night, I headed straight to bed. I tried closing the curtains only to find there were no blackouts, only sheers. I couldn't imagine what could be done at that hour to correct the situation and already in pajamas for bed, I didn't want to call up hotel staff. I wish I had - apparently my window was facing due east. At the crack of dawn, the room was lit and only got brighter from 5:30 am on. In addition, I was up from 2:00am-3:00am because there were only feather pillows, no non-feather options on the bed or in the closet, which had me sneezing non-stop. Usually there are a mix of pillow options to work with. I wish I had taken the time to complain in the morning, but I had business meetings beginning at 8:00am and I was so tired, I just left. I was really surprised that Hilton would pull this type of charade - I later found out that rooms are usually "off-line" when there is a problem. I can't believe the manager tried to tell me I was getting a better room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Jerry L, General Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We do apologize about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We immediately checked the room and the blackout drapes were in place and functional. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay with us further as your experience is not the norm. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and again, we sincerely apologize for your challenging stay at the Hilton Newark Penn Station.

Jerry Lord
973-645-2055
Peabody, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had to go between Brooklyn and Newark for work and decided to stay at the Newark Hilton due to proximity to train and my office. The place was just dank, exterior to interior. I don't think the springs poking my back through the mattress were orthopedic. THere needs to be a rehab done here, nice staff, but room I had smelled musty, had doors from 1979, and an interesting looking splatter on the curtains...

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Hilton at Newark Penn Station is right across the street from the Newark train station (walk out of the train station and you are there). The location is excellent, and the staff are very helpful and professional. Newark is not the safest city, but the Hilton felt very safe and has security features that prevent any problems for guests (vigilant staff, key cards required in the elevator, etc.). I ordered one meal from room service and it was fine (at the level I expected from a Hilton). The bar is comfortable and serves good local food and has a decent selection of beer on tap or in bottles. The rooms need to be updated physically (this Hilton hasn't been remodelled in a long time) but the staff kept my room very clean and everything worked fine. The bathrooms in the rooms are very small. This hotel is also convenient to the Ironbound district if you like Portuguese food.

Colonial Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I will preface this review by saying that I have been to NYC at least a dozen times and have never stayed in the same hotel twice.

I've stayed in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and in a few places in New Jersey - usually trying to save money since hotels in the city are so expensive.

During my last visit, I settled on this hotel and I have already booked another stay here for later in the year.

The hotel is literally connected to Penn Station as in you don't even have to go outside to get on the train. This was very convenient since it was raining and very cold when I was there last December. It's only about 20 minutes to Manhattan.

The hotel staff was probably the nicest I have ever encountered and I've stayed in a lot of hotels. The rooms are impeccably clean and parking is only $11/night.

There is a bar/restaurant on the floor that is reasonably priced and other shops that are a part of the connecting catwalk to Penn Station are literally footsteps from the hotel elevators. Also, it is very safe.

If you can find a good deal on this hotel, it's the most affordable place to stay while visiting the city.

• Stayed December 2012
Orlando, FLorida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel was great for the conference I recently attended down the street. Convenient free shuttle to the airport, very good service, and although downtown Newark isnt the best, this is a nice respite if you have to be there. I saw lots of families using it as a home base for a NYC trip and it is across the street from Penn Station Newark so it's definitely convenient if you dont mind trains.

Newark new jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent service veto convenient right across fruition the grey hound bus station I hay no problems at all this wad my second time using this hotel!!! Everything I neededed right in the same location.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!