“Ya, no thanks!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Newark
Hartford, Connecticut
“Ya, no thanks!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Hallway is dark, room smells of an old ladies house, sprayed most of my perfume to air it out. Bathroom counter is cracked, like in half with HAIR still in it. As I type the smell is just awful.... LOL good luck trying to locate the parking garage... I circled the place 4 times, down every one way street there is... anyway, I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Just not room 419!

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Warwick, NY, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel for my Birthday because we were going to NYC. It was perfect, the PATH train was walkable from the hotel. The room was a nice size for me and my sister. It was clean, the hotel staff was friendly and made sure our needs were taken care of. The Bar and Bartender was very nice and the drinks were delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Disclaimer: I am not the pickiest traveler. If a hotel is clean, comfortable, convenient, reasonably priced and has good service, I'm happy. The Newark Penn Hilton was all these things.

Although Newark Penn station is a bit dirty and run down, I was pleasantly surprised when I went over the walkway from the station to the hotel and found a nice shopping area with the hotel, a starbucks, and newsstand. We liked having the trains right there so we could travel into nyc or to the airport (although we found out the hotel has a very convenient and fast and free airport shuttle).

Our room was nice and comfy. Not sure if it was exhaustion from a busy day running around the city, but my first night there I slept great, something I rarely can do while traveling. We had the concierge package and our room was nice but not spectacular. We did get complimentary breakfast and on weekends that means a hot breakfast in the grille downstairs. Very nice! Food good, service exceptional. On Monday morning our breakfast was on 9th floor lounge and that was ok. Cold cereal, fruit, bagels, yogurt, coffee, tea. Attendant there was very nice and helpful. Enjoyed talking with her.

Checking in and out was good. People polite, friendly and helpful.

Will stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Jerry L, General Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Newark Penn Station. We are happy that we lived up to your expectations and your stay with us was outstanding.
We pride ourselves on our professional and friendly staff and we are glad we were able to assist you.
Thank you again and we look forward to your stay with us in the future.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice for a conference. I found the hallways to be dark. It seems that rooms were not designed for business women who are traveling. Doorway does not allow the desk chair to be moved into the bathroom, so you must stand to dry and style hair and apply makeup. The lighting is O.K. Road construction is occurring AT NIGHT on the street below. Jackhammers are used throughout the night and into the morning.

N IRELAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel so many times & really loved it

Returned for 3 nights this month arrived at 10 AM after a long flight had to wait in the foyer until 2 40 PM I know check in is 3 pm but did wonder if 1 room could have been ready earlier than that

Then was told no executive lounge now for Gold only Diamond . Was given a voucher for $10 to buy breakfast ( yes Hilton are now giving food vouchers) but coffee is $5 + tax+ 15% service charge so there is not a lot left over from the $10. I just returned the next 2 day vouchers to the reception bought all my food out

Left the hotel to stay at a Hilton Doubletree in Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights what a difference in the welcome there

Not sure if this is a just bad management now in the Hilton Penn Station but it certainly in my opinion has changed for the worse

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had really (really) been worried about this place the first night I was here - was put on the side of the hotel that faces busy Raymond Avenue and felt like the traffic noise was really out of control. I'm a light sleeper and could hear sirens, etc. even with ear plugs in and the A/C turned up high. Requested a room change and was put on the other side of the hotel, where luckily the traffic noise and hubbub is much reduced.

Some great things about this hotel:

1.) The staff. Had uniformly terrific interactions with everyone on the front desk, the bell staff, and the restaurant servers. "Free" (don't have exact spelling of her name) behaved in a very professional manner when confronted by a grumpy person who hadn't had much sleep and took care of the noise issue with minimum hassle. Had been told my bags would be moved for me but it took minutes to accomplish that when I got back from the city later so it was really no big deal.

2.) Comfy, awesome beds, good ventilation, room darkening shades worked great. Not much noise after my room move.

3.) This place is just right on top of the NJ Transit line that takes you into the city. It's a little confusing - NJ Transit is not called "light rail" and it behooves one to take a look at the station map helpfully posted near the entrance to Newark Penn. Be aware you don't have to go into the main waiting room to buy NJ Transit tickets and that most of the trains to New York Penn depart from Track 1. There's a ticket vending machine right on the platform and I'd say you can be from your room onto the train within 20 minutes if you're traveling off peak. It's only 2 stops to New York Penn and again, it's only about 15 minutes. So this option, IMO is comparable to staying in Manhattan and paying double or triple their inflated hotel prices to get to tourism locations like Central Park-area hotels. If you need to travel during morning or evening rush, I'd allow double those times, but I can't imagine it would take more than an hour to get into the city ever, barring major unforeseen transit disruptions.

Speaking of - having been to NYC many times and stayed in hotels: the rooms at HNP are twice the size of what you'll get in Manhattan and you'll pay dramatically less to stay here. Due to the timing of my arriving flight I decided not to wait for the hotel shuttle from the airport (which arrives every hour on the half hour - 12:30, 1:30 etc) and the cost was only about $20 even with bags. Had a great time talking to the cab driver, another good experience.

The trip back out to Newark Int'l Airport (served by Southwest Airlines, among others) is a piece of cake from the hotel, another advantage over staying on Manhattan - rather than having to haul your luggage on public transit to get back out to the airport, you can simply have the HNP staff give you a ride on the shuttle - free, easy, nothing bad to say about it at all. Be sure to bring some dollar bills, you'll want to tip the busmen and such for their genuinely excellent service.

All this being said, a couple things to know. For we Hilton Diamond members - there's a great lounge on the 9th floor staffed by another of Hilton's crazy-friendly employees, but it's only open during the week - no supper on Friday night or any service over the weekend. A good option for weekday travel but there wasn't much to eat when I got back from the city a little before 10 PM on a Friday night, as the hotel restaurant had stopped serving by the time I called around 11 PM. Room service ends at 11 as well. There are some restaurants and such in the 500-yard or so covered bridge to Newark Penn (which is carpeted, well lit, lovely, and not at all scary) but they all close at 7 PM. Just be sure you plan for this and don't wash up super-late starving hungry and expect to find a lot of late-night options. Of course, you could always step over to Penn Station and grab a bite, but as others have mentioned the tunnel to/from the hotel closes at 10:30. It's literally across the street so no issues but possibly worth mentioning in case of bad weather.

Breakfast is no problem - great service in the Executive Lounge or in the restaurant. There's a Starbucks right outside the hotel's front door for your coffee needs.

One minor quibble - I love New York's Channel 1, which features local news and a lot of weather updates. Couldn't find it on the TV package, was a little disappointed, but all of the national news channels and such were available.

Generally, though, just can't say enough about the great experience I had here. I visited NYC from Nashville, TN to visit friends and to see a 3-part art exhibition ("Audubon's Aviary" at the New York Historical Society - John Audubon's watercolor studies for epic masterpiece "Birds of New York" - go go go. The first portion of the exhibit was spring 2013, but there are two more in 2014 and 15. I'll be staying at HNP for all of them.)

Honestly, all things considered? Great service, late checkout when I asked for it since I had a little time to kill before my flight? Super-easy transportation? Good ventilation, water pressure, local services? This place gets a full five stars. I'll definitely be back, and recommend this property to everyone I know - I really think this is just unbeatable for the location and value. Thanks for an outstanding experience.

Room Tip: If you have any noise issues, ask to be away from Raymond Avenue. It's MUCH quieter higher up...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry L, General Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive and insightful response about your stay at the Hilton Penn Station! We sincerely appreciated you taking the time to provide feedback and I can assure you it will be shared with the staff. We will look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

East Hampton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Not knowing what to expect, it was a decent experience. Restaurant ambiance is mediocre, but chef is very good as were servers. Security was fine. Bed was good. HVAC worked. Pleasant staff. Good hotel for business in Newark -- would return.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind words about he Hilton Penn Station and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Jerry Lord

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!