“This is a good one” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Newark
Sydney, Australia
“This is a good one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for fiver days, at first we thought it was to far away from New York, But its only a 20 minute train ride with one stop. Tip for people out there if you stay at this hotel buy a weekly ticket into New york as you will save heaps of money doing it this way. Well the hotel itself does not look much on the outside but inside is a different story, room are comfortable and very clean, the staff are very helpful, the restaurant is excellent. All in all we gave it a ten out of ten. We swtayed for 6 days at the begining of our holiday and seven days at the end. And guess what they remembered us and it was three weeks between each stay. Well done Hilton.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms. No matter where you stay in New York or Newark you will always hear police...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have never had a positive impression on Newark, NJ by my recent stay in this hotel changed my mind. The hotel was clean, the staff very helpful, attentive and polite. Even though the hotel was almost fully occupied (a newspaper outside every single room on my floor) the lobby was never crowded with long lines. My room was neat, and quite adequate to my needs. I had meeting in the hotel and in Manhattan, so the proximity of the train station, which is reachable through a neat, clean and very handy tunnel/bridge was one of the best features of the location. Trains were fast and frequent and I never waited more than a few minutes for a NYC bound train. The immediate area around the hotel seemed quite safe although I did not go out at night - I was just too tired after long days in meeting rooms. The Ironbound district seemed interesting, according to the brochures and from what I could see when I drove back home, but again, I had no time to explore it.

The hotel's restaurant tried hard, but it's neither a family-type restaurant nor a fine cuisine eatery. There is a bar and the menu is quite nice. The ribeye steak I had was very good the first night, not bad the second time and tasted like sawdust the last time. I had room service, which was very fast and very good.

All in all, a very nice stay. I just might select the hotel as a base for exploring Manhattan in the future. It's less expensive and the short train ride into NY Penn Station takes you to a very central location.

Room Tip: I have no tips. The traffic noise tended to be a bit much at times but it was only bothersome the fi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Shreveport, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

This hotel is a great place to stay while visiting New York City. Hotel is connected to Newark Penn Station. NJ Transit to NY Penn Station is $5. Path train to World Trade Center is $3.50. Hotel rates are a lot less than in Manhattan. Hotel has a shuttle to EWR.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Location is realy excellent for airport and onward travel.

Easy connnections from Newark Airport via air train and short $8 ten minute ride on local train.

Hotel linked via walkway to Penn Station.

Staff on reception super friendly and welcoming.

Well decorated, spacious rooms well up to standards.

Only dissapointment the small bar / restaurant off the lobby - good service but a little souless although I guess a little exploring may have found something else nearby.

Recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

The reason we decided to stay here is b/c we had tickets to see a Broadway show and we didn't want to drive into the city. This hotel is connected to Newark Penn Station via a skywalk. Basically you can just park at the hotel take the train in and back, then spend the night at the hotel. The price of the hotel was reasonable, however, parking is pretty pricy. Expect to spend $21 to park overnight (in addition to your hotel fee). The hotel staff was very accomodating (let us check in early) and the rooms were nice. The bathroom was extremely small though (but updated quite nicely). There also isn't an option for microwaves or mini fridges in your rooms either. Since it's actually located in a business building, you can only access the elevator for the rooms if you have a key card (i appreciate the extra security). There aren't many amenities to the hotel that i could see and the restaurant/bar is quite small. You have to pay additional for your breakfast although there is a Starbucks attached. However, the Starbucks doesn't appear to be open on Sundays. The main complaint i have is the beds are HORRIBLY firm and very uncomfortable. Other than this, it's an average hotel with easy access to the city.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I hated this hotel and would never return. I stayed here after getting in on a late flight to Newark, thinking that it would be easier than travelling into NY city that late. As it turned out, I could have made it into the city in less time than it took me to get to the hotel, however. From the terminal, you have to take a bus to get to a station where the Hilton hotel shuttle picks you up. That took a while, as there was a wait for the bus. Once there, I called the "Hilton" # on the phone list. After about 20 minutes, a Hilton shuttle arrived. Luckily, as I was boarding, I asked the driver, Hilton Newark Penn Station? It turned out the shuttle was for the other Hilton Newark in Elizabeth Town. The driver explained to me that the Hilton Penn has no phone connection at the shuttle pick up station, and I'd have to get the hotel number and call on a cell phone (which I didn't have). He suggested I could call his Hilton and have them connect me through to the other Hilton. When all of that was worked out and a shuttle finally came, it had taken over an hour and half to get to the hotel.

Second: The room was run down and dirty. I've never been in a Hilton before where the bathroom had hair on the wall, stains on the tub, a poorly cleaned toilet. If it hadn't been 2:00 A.M., I would certainly have asked to move.

Third: It is SO, SO, SO noisy. Outside the hotel is a very busy street: you can hear trucks, lots of honking, and almost non-stop heavy traffic. Off to the left is Penn Station, and you can plainly hear train sounds, etc. coming from the station for most of the night. The hotel is not well sound proofed. Starting in the early A.M., you can also hear room doors slamming along the corridor.

This was a terrible stay for me. I decided to try the Marriott Newark later that week, and while when I had stayed there before, it had struck me as average, nothing very special, it seemed like heaven--clean, quiet, well maintained--in comparison with the Hilton Newark Penn. Station.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Brendan M, General Manager at Hilton Newark Penn Station, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear literatureprof,

I want to thank you for bringing to our attention the problems encountered by you during your stay as this will help us in our endeavor to improve our services for all our valued guests. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you faced on arrival with the delayed shuttle service, the noise disturbances and the lack of attention to detail with regards the cleanliness of your room. Although we failed in our endeavor to exceed your expectations, I want to assure you that corrective action is being taken based on your feedback as we want all our guest to experience quality, variety & value in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Please let us know if there is anything further we can do for you as there is nothing more important for us than winning back your loyalty and trust.

Brendan Moraes
Sherborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

We used this hotel as part of a post cruise package, the service was excellent , the staff so helpful.
L Garrett , from England

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Hilton Newark Penn Station? Share your experiences!