“Great Beds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Routes 1&9 South, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 21 hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersGold level
Alta Loma, California
“Great Beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel and received very good service. They have a small bar in the nicely decorated lobby that serves a limited breakfast and dinner menus. The pizza was very good. The clerk set up a taxi pick-up for the following morning for us and told us what we would have to pay ahead of time. The beds were sooo comfortable we slept like babies!

Room Tip: This was a good location for us - we flew into Newark Liberty Airport and we were leaving on a cruis...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
We truly appreciate this great review, in the past year we have invested a lot in the building and will continue this year with some great upgrades to our rooms and public space, however a building is only 4 walls and roof, it is the people that make a difference.
I am so lucky to have an outstanding team with me who just want to take care of each and every guest to the best of their ability.
I will share this great experience with them and I have no doubt that it will spur to even higher levels of great service.

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Troy, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night to catch an early flight out of Newark. Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. The one disappointed part of the hotel is the lack of places to eat near the property for those that don't have a car. However, the Bistro in the lobby was adequate for such a short stay. The bed was very comfortable and the suite was very spacious. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place near the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Scott:
Many thanks for this very nice review; I will be sure to share it with the team, who will be delighted with your nice comments. 2013 is a big year for us at this hotel; we have started a $700k renovation, that will include all new carpet, bathroom upgrades, closets and fridges in every guest room.
We have already upgraded our complimentary business center with 4 awesome new computers and will be adding new gym equipment in early March.
Happy traveling.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Had an unexpected 2-night stay here as a consequence of Snowstorm Nemo (thank you Mother Nature.) All travel in the Northeast was locked down ... air, rail, roads. So I was resigned to my fate, and I was far from alone.

The good: easy access to EWR and rail service (which came in handy), good shuttle service, friendly and accommodating staff, clean room, The Bistro, free coffee. Hey, I could do worse! This is your standard Courtyard we've come to know and love. Reception was very flexible with my stay as I didn't know when I could get out, offering late checkout and holding a room for me. Much appreciated.

The not-so-good: look at a map. This and its two sister hotels are surrounded by highways. If there wasn't 18" of snow on the ground, no place to walk for food alternatives. I guess I could have taken the hotel shuttle, but Advanced Cabin Fever Syndrome (ACFS) had not set in yet. TV channel selection was fair, with a number of "dead" channels. How many Law & Order reruns can one watch? Also, you are at the airport, so don't be surprised if you hear some jet noise (that is when they're actually flying.)

All taken, I was happy to not be sleeping on a cot at EWR and was pleased with the service at this Courtyard.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
JK: Thank you for this great review as you noted it was a tough time in the area for all; I am delighted that my staff stepped up a little higher on the plate to ensure your comfort. I am very lucky to have a great team who always go out of their way to make our guest happy.
You will be delighted to know that we are currently updating our TV channel options and will have more HD available, this along with new business center computers, guest room carpets and bathroom upgrades. Happy travelling.
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

After a delay at EWR Airport due to bad weather, airline gave us a coupon for this hotel, of course we were upset about having to stay at an airport hotel, one expects the in and out treatment but WOW. From the moment we met the shuttle bus driver, they knocked our socks off, the young lady who checked us in was ever so nice and kind to us, asking if we needed any toiletries and stuff to freshen up (remember the airline had our bags). The rooms were so nice and well appointed, the housekeeping lady was very pleasant. Next morning we had breakfast and it was deliousious, they even had Starbucks, whoo hoo. I don't ever want to be stuck at airports but if it happens and it is Newark I am coming back to this nice hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they were true to their word, I think it was room 330.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for this very kind review, I am so sorry that you were stuck at the airport with a delayed flight; however delighted that the team made a difficult time for you, so much better.

I will be sure to share your comments with the team, it is great to see that their hard work and dedication to great customer service is paying off.
Happy traveling.
New Bedford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard this weekend 01/11/13-01/13/14 with a number of family members and we rented a total of 7 rooms. All rooms smelt musty or like mold and in one of the rooms a bug was found dead and appeared to be a bed bug. They did report this to front desk and after the front desk took the bug about 30 minutes later the people in the room were offered a new room. The room I was in nobody was able to sleep and both of my young children ended up sick and we now believe it was do to the air quality in our room after taking our children to the doctors when we got home. The service was ok and everything was overpriced. ( snacks, drinks, and food ).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your candid review, please accept my sincere apologies for you not enjoying your stay, we truly appreciate this personal feedback and will most certainly learn and grow from it.

As you can see from the many positive reviews that we have and I can personally attest to many more wonderful reviews and comments on the various web forums; including our own internal surveys, your experience is not typical of the service or experience that we strive to achieve. Happy traveling.
Eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I wanted to like this hotel very much - it was convenient as we were flying out of Newark the next day and I generally find the Courtyard brand comfortable and priced right. Check-in was quick and efficient. Getting bags into the hotel was time-consuming as they allow cars to pile up outside the door for extended periods, but we did finally get our things inside (it was raining/snowing so we wanted to do that under cover). The parking lot is gated and requires a room key to enter and exit - a nice safety feature in that area. The lobby area was newly renovated and is comfortable and clean. Now for the cons:
(1) The room had an odor - somewhere between musty, moldy and chemical.
(2) I was supposed to get a room with no feathers (foam pillows only). After a night without sleep I realized that some of the pillows on the bed were feather. I've never had that mixup at a Courtyard before now.
(3) The king bed was the most uncomfortable I've slept in at a hotel in a long time.
(4) The walls are paper-thin (at least in 354). We listened to the family next door until almost 1:00am, and I could tell that they were using "normal" voices. When they opened or closed their drapes it sounded like it was right in our room.
(5) The elevator ride from the 3rd floor to the first was consistently accompanied by a "thunk" as we passed the 2nd floor. Staff were continually on and off the elevator so I assume they are aware of the issue.

There wasn't a lot of bedding on the bed, but we were promptly provided with an extra blanket when we asked. As I said earlier, all of the staff was friendly and accommodating throughout our stay.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms that are "quieter" than others when you book, if that's importa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time out to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted that the team was responsive to your needs.
We have invested a lot of time in team training and we are all committed to making our guests comfortable. I will be sure to share your nice comments with them.
You will be delighted to know that we have just begun a $700,000 reinvestment in the facility that will only make the entire guest experience better. Happy traveling.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I've had a hard time finding a good hotel in Newark, but this goes to the to the top of the list. I saw no cleanliness problems. The lobby is interesting - it seemed that more guests were hanging out there than at a typical hotel. They had sports on a big screen in front if a comfortable couch, and their walk-up computers worked well.

The room was good - I can't remember the bed or pillows, which is a good sign. The TV was nice and the wireless worked.

• Stayed December 2012
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We truly appreciate this great review; we have invested a lot in our staff and facility in the past two years and delighted to let everyone know that building improvements will continue in 2013.

We have just received approval for a further $700K investment, to include, new carpets, upgraded bathrooms and fridges in all guest rooms, this along with some behind the scenes projects making the guest experience even better. Happy traveling.

Been to Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!