“Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Routes 1&9 South, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersGold level
Springfield, Illinois
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

After a delay at EWR Airport due to bad weather, airline gave us a coupon for this hotel, of course we were upset about having to stay at an airport hotel, one expects the in and out treatment but WOW. From the moment we met the shuttle bus driver, they knocked our socks off, the young lady who checked us in was ever so nice and kind to us, asking if we needed any toiletries and stuff to freshen up (remember the airline had our bags). The rooms were so nice and well appointed, the housekeeping lady was very pleasant. Next morning we had breakfast and it was deliousious, they even had Starbucks, whoo hoo. I don't ever want to be stuck at airports but if it happens and it is Newark I am coming back to this nice hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they were true to their word, I think it was room 330.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you so much for this very kind review, I am so sorry that you were stuck at the airport with a delayed flight; however delighted that the team made a difficult time for you, so much better.

I will be sure to share your comments with the team, it is great to see that their hard work and dedication to great customer service is paying off.
Happy traveling.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Bedford, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard this weekend 01/11/13-01/13/14 with a number of family members and we rented a total of 7 rooms. All rooms smelt musty or like mold and in one of the rooms a bug was found dead and appeared to be a bed bug. They did report this to front desk and after the front desk took the bug about 30 minutes later the people in the room were offered a new room. The room I was in nobody was able to sleep and both of my young children ended up sick and we now believe it was do to the air quality in our room after taking our children to the doctors when we got home. The service was ok and everything was overpriced. ( snacks, drinks, and food ).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

As you can see from the many positive reviews that we have and I can personally attest to many more wonderful reviews and comments on the various web forums; including our own internal surveys, your experience is not typical of the service or experience that we strive to achieve. Happy traveling.
Eastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I wanted to like this hotel very much - it was convenient as we were flying out of Newark the next day and I generally find the Courtyard brand comfortable and priced right. Check-in was quick and efficient. Getting bags into the hotel was time-consuming as they allow cars to pile up outside the door for extended periods, but we did finally get our things inside (it was raining/snowing so we wanted to do that under cover). The parking lot is gated and requires a room key to enter and exit - a nice safety feature in that area. The lobby area was newly renovated and is comfortable and clean. Now for the cons:
(1) The room had an odor - somewhere between musty, moldy and chemical.
(2) I was supposed to get a room with no feathers (foam pillows only). After a night without sleep I realized that some of the pillows on the bed were feather. I've never had that mixup at a Courtyard before now.
(3) The king bed was the most uncomfortable I've slept in at a hotel in a long time.
(4) The walls are paper-thin (at least in 354). We listened to the family next door until almost 1:00am, and I could tell that they were using "normal" voices. When they opened or closed their drapes it sounded like it was right in our room.
(5) The elevator ride from the 3rd floor to the first was consistently accompanied by a "thunk" as we passed the 2nd floor. Staff were continually on and off the elevator so I assume they are aware of the issue.

There wasn't a lot of bedding on the bed, but we were promptly provided with an extra blanket when we asked. As I said earlier, all of the staff was friendly and accommodating throughout our stay.

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms that are "quieter" than others when you book, if that's importa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time out to review your recent stay with us, I am delighted that the team was responsive to your needs.
We have invested a lot of time in team training and we are all committed to making our guests comfortable. I will be sure to share your nice comments with them.
You will be delighted to know that we have just begun a $700,000 reinvestment in the facility that will only make the entire guest experience better. Happy traveling.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I've had a hard time finding a good hotel in Newark, but this goes to the to the top of the list. I saw no cleanliness problems. The lobby is interesting - it seemed that more guests were hanging out there than at a typical hotel. They had sports on a big screen in front if a comfortable couch, and their walk-up computers worked well.

The room was good - I can't remember the bed or pillows, which is a good sign. The TV was nice and the wireless worked.

• Stayed December 2012
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
We truly appreciate this great review; we have invested a lot in our staff and facility in the past two years and delighted to let everyone know that building improvements will continue in 2013.

We have just received approval for a further $700K investment, to include, new carpets, upgraded bathrooms and fridges in all guest rooms, this along with some behind the scenes projects making the guest experience even better. Happy traveling.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was reluctant to stay here after reading some of the reviews but the park and stay rate was very attractive and there were enough good reviews to sway me. I printed MapQuest directions and followed our nav and found the hotel with no issues. Easy and fast check in. Room was a great size and very comfortable. I felt very safe there but, foolishly, took a drive to find a restaurant for dinner. Should have listened better to the staff as we found ourselves in Newark in areas that didn't look very safe. Then we had trouble finding our way back to the right Marriot. Call to the staff guided us in. They are clearly used to this activity. :) Morning shuttle service was prompt and just a few minutes to EWR. The return trip was equally easy but I needed to call the hotel to find out how to connect with the shuttle. Staff was, again, most helpful!
I would stay here again without hesitation!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you so much for this great review, I am delighted that the team went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable, I will be sure to commend the team accordingly. Indeed this area is a challenge to drive with so many highways merging and the infamous New Jersey, U-Turns and Jug Handles but nice pre-planning on your behalf.
We will continue our building improvements in 2013, with new carpets, fridges, bathroom upgrades and closet doors in EVERY room. Happy traveling.
Sterling Heights, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is a very nice choice. I took the Friday evening 5:03 train from Manhattan Penn. The free hotel shuttle picks up at 15 minutes and 45 minutes after the hour (at Newark Liberty's AirTrain station, stop P4). The hotel staff is very courteous and the rooms are clean. Although there is a lot of road noise, there was a contractor constructing a brand new fence while I visited. I believe that will block some of the road noise. The downstairs bistro is open even on the weekends, and the front desk will place an order for you and then call you when your order is ready.

When I got to the Airtrain station, I called the wrong Courtyard (there's one in Edison that also has a hotel shuttle). I realized my mistake just as the front desk operator was asking for my name. It's clear the hotels have encountered this before, and the great shuttle driver from the Courtyard EWR verified that I was registered at the one closest to the airport. It's nice that the hotels work together to make sure guests don't get mixed up.

I stayed on business in between two trips (to avoid going home on Friday night and then having to fly back to Newark on Sunday). On Saturday morning, there was no hot water. I asked at the bistro and the clerks told me there had been a brief boiler problem but that it was already fixed and I should find the water hot by the time I got back to my room. They were correct. I also liked that the bistro clerks worked together (one rang my order and one made my coffee - the service was courteous and cheerful).

The only suggestion I would make is that it would be nice if the room had a refrigerator and microwave. I was surprised mine didn't have one (I'm a Marriott Elite member). It's a minor issue, though. I probably could have asked for a different room (I had asked the front desk staff to concentrate on quiet, not amenities). Several times during the night, I heard a car alarm or security alarm go off. It may have been related to a vehicle parked by a hotel guest or some other issue - I'm not sure the hotel could have done anything about it.

Room Tip: Because it's close to one of the nation's busiest airports, it's going to be noisy. As w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for this awesome review, it is really appreciated, I am so lucky to work with an outstanding team and delighted to hear about them over communicating with each other to make the guest experience so much better. I will be sure to commend all the staff working this past weekend for providing excellent service.

You will be delighted to know that in early 2013, we will complete the following building improvements, fridges, upgrading the bathrooms, new closet doors and changing the carpet, in every single room.
Once again thank you and happy traveling.
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I didn't really want to stay here but my flights didn't work out so great, so I booked into this hotel.

First problem is the confusion over two Courtyard hotels, one closer to Newark Airport than the other.

For the room rate it's a poor value, the lobby looks like a Ikea mated with a motel - and that would be OK, but as you go up to the room it shows more wear and becomes less clean.

The room reeked of chemicals when I checked in, I phoned down they said that was they were full and it was just room spray. A ton of that horrid room spray they use to remove odour and cover up that someone was smoking in there or worse...it was a hell of a lot of chemical. What I found out however is that by morning, as the room spray had been soaked up by my lungs, the odour it was hiding sprung through, rotten wet carpet with that sweaty 'off' smell.

I mentioned this on the way out, they said they would mention to the manager and kept calling it room spray, but apart from being a health hazard, it was an attempt to get room revenue out of a room that needed deep cleaning... The bed sheets were so wrinkled up I couldn't help think that someone had been in there already, so I slept on top of the bed. It was either that or the sheets just get thrown in a ball and trampled on before they put them on the bed...

The staff seemed OK although the lobby is a social club for them at night.

Otherwise this is a blah hotel, it has a coffee shop in the lobby, I didn't bother and just took the shuttle to the airport so I could breathe cleaner air.

Others on here question the cleanliness and I would agree. It doesn't meet the standards of other Courtyard-Marriots and you feel like you have been robbed when you leave and you realize what you paid for... I am not even sure if the sheets were clean.

I hate hotels like that and you should avoid them like the plague. This one is now firmly on that list. Please don't add a note from the management saying feedback helps, you robbed me blind and assaulted my lungs and I don't want others to fall for that...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your candid review, please accept my sincere apologies for you not enjoying your stay, we truly appreciate this personal feedback and will most certainly learn and grow from it. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may resolve any issues you may have encountered.

Been to Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!