“Glad I took a chance........” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport

You added Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Routes 1&9 South, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Glad I took a chance........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was reluctant to stay here after reading some of the reviews but the park and stay rate was very attractive and there were enough good reviews to sway me. I printed MapQuest directions and followed our nav and found the hotel with no issues. Easy and fast check in. Room was a great size and very comfortable. I felt very safe there but, foolishly, took a drive to find a restaurant for dinner. Should have listened better to the staff as we found ourselves in Newark in areas that didn't look very safe. Then we had trouble finding our way back to the right Marriot. Call to the staff guided us in. They are clearly used to this activity. :) Morning shuttle service was prompt and just a few minutes to EWR. The return trip was equally easy but I needed to call the hotel to find out how to connect with the shuttle. Staff was, again, most helpful!
I would stay here again without hesitation!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you so much for this great review, I am delighted that the team went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable, I will be sure to commend the team accordingly. Indeed this area is a challenge to drive with so many highways merging and the infamous New Jersey, U-Turns and Jug Handles but nice pre-planning on your behalf.
We will continue our building improvements in 2013, with new carpets, fridges, bathroom upgrades and closet doors in EVERY room. Happy traveling.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Sterling Heights, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is a very nice choice. I took the Friday evening 5:03 train from Manhattan Penn. The free hotel shuttle picks up at 15 minutes and 45 minutes after the hour (at Newark Liberty's AirTrain station, stop P4). The hotel staff is very courteous and the rooms are clean. Although there is a lot of road noise, there was a contractor constructing a brand new fence while I visited. I believe that will block some of the road noise. The downstairs bistro is open even on the weekends, and the front desk will place an order for you and then call you when your order is ready.

When I got to the Airtrain station, I called the wrong Courtyard (there's one in Edison that also has a hotel shuttle). I realized my mistake just as the front desk operator was asking for my name. It's clear the hotels have encountered this before, and the great shuttle driver from the Courtyard EWR verified that I was registered at the one closest to the airport. It's nice that the hotels work together to make sure guests don't get mixed up.

I stayed on business in between two trips (to avoid going home on Friday night and then having to fly back to Newark on Sunday). On Saturday morning, there was no hot water. I asked at the bistro and the clerks told me there had been a brief boiler problem but that it was already fixed and I should find the water hot by the time I got back to my room. They were correct. I also liked that the bistro clerks worked together (one rang my order and one made my coffee - the service was courteous and cheerful).

The only suggestion I would make is that it would be nice if the room had a refrigerator and microwave. I was surprised mine didn't have one (I'm a Marriott Elite member). It's a minor issue, though. I probably could have asked for a different room (I had asked the front desk staff to concentrate on quiet, not amenities). Several times during the night, I heard a car alarm or security alarm go off. It may have been related to a vehicle parked by a hotel guest or some other issue - I'm not sure the hotel could have done anything about it.

Room Tip: Because it's close to one of the nation's busiest airports, it's going to be noisy. As w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for this awesome review, it is really appreciated, I am so lucky to work with an outstanding team and delighted to hear about them over communicating with each other to make the guest experience so much better. I will be sure to commend all the staff working this past weekend for providing excellent service.

You will be delighted to know that in early 2013, we will complete the following building improvements, fridges, upgrading the bathrooms, new closet doors and changing the carpet, in every single room.
Once again thank you and happy traveling.
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I didn't really want to stay here but my flights didn't work out so great, so I booked into this hotel.

First problem is the confusion over two Courtyard hotels, one closer to Newark Airport than the other.

For the room rate it's a poor value, the lobby looks like a Ikea mated with a motel - and that would be OK, but as you go up to the room it shows more wear and becomes less clean.

The room reeked of chemicals when I checked in, I phoned down they said that was they were full and it was just room spray. A ton of that horrid room spray they use to remove odour and cover up that someone was smoking in there or worse...it was a hell of a lot of chemical. What I found out however is that by morning, as the room spray had been soaked up by my lungs, the odour it was hiding sprung through, rotten wet carpet with that sweaty 'off' smell.

I mentioned this on the way out, they said they would mention to the manager and kept calling it room spray, but apart from being a health hazard, it was an attempt to get room revenue out of a room that needed deep cleaning... The bed sheets were so wrinkled up I couldn't help think that someone had been in there already, so I slept on top of the bed. It was either that or the sheets just get thrown in a ball and trampled on before they put them on the bed...

The staff seemed OK although the lobby is a social club for them at night.

Otherwise this is a blah hotel, it has a coffee shop in the lobby, I didn't bother and just took the shuttle to the airport so I could breathe cleaner air.

Others on here question the cleanliness and I would agree. It doesn't meet the standards of other Courtyard-Marriots and you feel like you have been robbed when you leave and you realize what you paid for... I am not even sure if the sheets were clean.

I hate hotels like that and you should avoid them like the plague. This one is now firmly on that list. Please don't add a note from the management saying feedback helps, you robbed me blind and assaulted my lungs and I don't want others to fall for that...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your candid review, please accept my sincere apologies for you not enjoying your stay, we truly appreciate this personal feedback and will most certainly learn and grow from it. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may resolve any issues you may have encountered.

As you can see from the many positive reviews that we have and I can personally attest to many more wonderful reviews and comments on the various web forums; including our own internal surveys, your experience is not typical of the service or experience that we strive to achieve. Happy traveling.
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here on a two day visit to New York. absolute nightmare to find, after two hours was about to give up and book elsewhere. Satnav could not locate it.
When finally we did arrive the room was lovely and clean. Pool facility nice but freezing water in the pool, hot tub brilliant. Transfer to airport super, driver very good. Able to leave our bags before our evening dept to Uk so we could go sightseeing in NYC. Food ok but fairly expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you so much for this nice review, I am delighted that the team were able to make your stay comfortable and productive.
Indeed there is a challenge locating most of the businesses on this stretch of highway due to it's unique name and the merge of so many roads for Newark Airport.
We do have some great tips on our website or I would recommend calling the hotel prior to arrival, so that we can answer any questions that one might have. Happy traveling. GB
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed there for the weekend, while touring NYC. Hotel overall gives overall impression of being a great clean place ... far from it though. Only good thing was the food, breakfast and dinner were great, but other than that ... hotel overall is just not that clean. From bloodied towels, to dirty bed sheets, to a broken sofa bed, a shuttle bus every half hour where every other hotel/motel ran every 15 mins ... definitely would not stay there again, and would recommend to others to avoid if possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your candid review and I am sorry that you did not have the experience that we strive to provide, as you can see from the many previous reviews your experience is not typical.
We take all comments on this awesome forum seriously and your review will assist greatly on our journey to provide great experiences to every guest every day.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty during a hotel stay so that the business has every opportunity to make a great impression. Happy traveling.
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. It's a convenient location to Newark Airport, and the shuttle runs every half hour to the airport. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is great. However, the housekeeping in this hotel has got to be the worst I have ever seen!!! To start off the bed sheets for the sofa bed were dirty (dried bodily fluids), but was folded nicely for use. We called them to get new sheets and that arrived about 15 minutes later. The next day, used towels were just hung back up again in the bathrooms..again we called, and got new towels. The ice box was not emptied, and the chair for the desk was not returned to it's place after they vacuumed (did a lousy job at it too). The chair was left a good metre away from the desk. The sheets and covers for the sofabed were literally thrown over, not folded, on the sofa. Dirty and used glasses were not replaced. Even though the lobby looked great, the rooms were in good condition, the housekeeping was worse than a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SGB68, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
D R: thank you for taking time out to review your experience with us, as you no doubt read from the many surveys previous to yours, what you experienced is not typical of the service, care or quality that we aspire to.
We truly appreciate all comments on this great forum as they all serve to make our service better, please never hesitate to ask to speak with the Manager on Duty during one's stay to express concerns or to offer commendations. This will greatly benefit the business and service to all guests; current and yet to arrive. Happy traveling.
phoenix, az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Rooms are clean ( advance purchase of $119 plus tax ). Pool and jacuzzi were PERFECT!! The shuttle to the airport was right on time with George getting us there safely. Like others have mentioned there are no place to eat within walking distance. However there are a number of delivery options. I chose Tony's pizza, hit the spot. They have info on this at the check-in. Don't hesitate to stay here

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for this awesome review, indeed George is an outstanding associate; he enjoys taking care of our guests every single day with a huge smile, he is a credit to us and I will be sure to commend him accordingly. Happy traveling.

Been to Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!