“Another good Portuguese Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol-Mar Restaurtant

Sol-Mar Restaurtant
267 Ferry St, Newark, NJ 07105 (North Ironbound)
973 344 3041
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 471 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Doing business, Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
New Jersey
“Another good Portuguese Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I met a girlfriend for dinner there during the week. We made a dinner reservation since I had a groupon(if you see a pattern here you are right I am a big coupon user when it comes to restaurants). We each had a glass of the white house wine. Very cold and crisp. We shared the grilled shrimp appetizer that was delicious. The bread was good for dipping. I had the rack of lamb. It was good although it could ahve been just a little more done. I had ordered it medium rare. My girl friend had the veal scallopini. Our plates were clean when we were done so I guess the food was good. They also served us a side dish of fried potato slices and rice. If you are used to very crispy potatoes with your portuguese food these are not the crispy type but okay. There are other portuguese restaurants in the area that served them more like potato chips. I got the fellgin that these were not hand made, but they were still good. I would definitely eat here again. The service was great. there is plenty of parking across the street.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

California
“Great reviews from Tripadvisor led us to Sol Mar - They were right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I am of Portuguese descent and recently learned that Newark NJ had a large and flourishing Portuguese community. So during our recent trip to New Jersey I wanted to find a good restaurant that would satisfy my hunger for the foods I had been raised eating. TripAdvisor came through big time. The minute we walked into Sol Mar it felt like home. Even though the restaurant was full to near standing room only we were warmly greeted and escorted to the table we had reserved right away. The restaurant was filled sound of Portuguese language and laughter mixed with the rich aromas from the kitchen. It was great seeing that many large families had gathered there that night and their shared love palpable. At the superb bar individuals sat, talked of sports, relationships and many other subjects both in english and portuguese.

To start off we ordered a big plate of steamed clams"Ameijoas A Bohao Pato" and another of Portugues Chirizo "Chourico Assado" as appetizers. A long with the appetizers that we ordered the restaurant also brought us a large loaf of bread with sizable chunks of sausage baked inside. The appetizers and bread alone would have made for a wonderful meal. But we were out to do some real damage to our waistlines.For the main course I had planned to have "Bacalhau" a salt cod stew that was regular fare at our house as a child. But how often does one see oven roasted goat "Cabrito" on a menu these days, so thats what I ordered. It came with vegetables roasted in the pan with the cabrito and rice. Another of our party ordered the Sea food combination plate "Paelha A Valenciana", a giant plate filled with fish, lobster,crab,shrimp and shell fish on a bed of rice. The food was fabulous. After dinner we sat and drank good Portuguese red and white wines, talked and watched people. We were never hurried and had a great time. The owners walked us out the door hugged us and thanked us for our patronage. Just like we were guests in their home. We will be back.

There seem to be many great Portuguese restaurants in Newark and we will try others, but we got it right the first time. Thanks again TripAdvisor

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Very Good but there is better in the Ironbound”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Ate here recently with an out of town client. Decided to give it a try because they had offered a coupon through Groupon. Very nice menu. The place is split between a very casual bar side and a more elegant restaurant. We ate in the restaurant portion and it was very nice. All the choices you would expect to find in an Ironbound Portuguese place. The location is way down Ferry Street so it is nowhere near The Rock. The service was excellent, the food was very good, but even with the coupon it turned out to be an expensive meal. For the price I've had much better in the Ironbound (Forno's, Mompou). So since there was nothing that really stood out, I doubt I would go back except that I heard they offer a free shuttle to the Red Bulls games. If that's true it would be worth it. Also if the prices are better on the bar side I would also go back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Consistently Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Grilled sea bass is the best, sangria-tasty, desserts-delectable!

Highly recommend to try goat cheese for appetizers.

Nice place for a romantic date or a friends get together

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Restaurant not recommended!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I decided to take my family to Newark and try this restaurant. What a mistake! The waiter decided to bring bread and cheese to the table on his own accord and later charged $7.00 additional on bill. When I asked why I was charged the waiter had an attitude. The ribs had little flavor and the paella was all rice short on seafood for $39.00.. Run and try another restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere