“An Old, Friendly Tavern with Great Food(period)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Krug's Tavern

Krug's Tavern
118 Wilson Ave, Newark, NJ 07105-3325 (North Ironbound)
973-465-9795
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Bars & Pubs in Newark
Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Coimbatore, India
“An Old, Friendly Tavern with Great Food(period)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I originally found Krugs from reading reviews like this one. I was hooked by some writing "burgers as big as your head". Everybody at some point is in the mood for a good burger and Krugs does not disappoint. They are big and they only use quality meat and yes, they are big, juicy and come in several different ways. But... after I tried their cheese steak... that's what I'm hooked on. When I first went to try Krugs I almost made the mistake of judging them by their old Newark tavern look from the outside. I had my kids with me and I really wondered if I should bring them into what looked like an old bar. I decided to be brave. Krugs has become one of my favorite places to go when I want a burger (or in my case a cheese steak) and a beer or two. They have lots of other stuff on their menu (my oldest daughter is hooked on the burger with Taylor ham) but I am hooked on the cheese steak. It has quality meat without fat and gristle so that you don't pull the whole thing out of the bun with your first bite. I have noticed now that every time I say "let's go to Krugs" my whole family, instead of whining and suggesting other places to go, says "Yeah! Let's go!" Easy choice. Without exception, the staff is friendly, the food is good and you don't feel ripped off when the bill comes. I love this place.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Waytoomuchjoy

Lexington, South Carolina
“A fortress of good food in the ghetto!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

It's almost like the diversity and gentrification passed this gem over 45 years ago, yet the burgers are the best you'll find, the beer is cold and the prices are almost cheap. Quaint? Not quite the word. For those still believing in the American blue collar dream however, this is the place for a cold beer or two and some great grill work. It's dark, probably not as clean as your kitchen at home and often a little loud (think Bon Jovi era rock music). Plus, there's always the chance of a discussion breaking out on plumbing, roofing or bricklaying, making for the perfect back drop for what it is, Krug's - great service and good, quick food, in a perfect fit atmosphere!!!

• Visited July 2012
Syracuse, New York
“Don't be fooled by outside appearance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

On Friday 9/7, took 4 trips around the block to find a place to park and almost gave up...very happy I didn't. Great atmosphere and really good food and drink. Personally, I thought the burger could have used a few additives...a little onion...bbq sauce prior to grilling...but overall realllly good food. I thought the wings were quite good as well. Great people and good time....gorgeous bar too....dates back many many years. Service was a touch slow but then again, there were only 2 people working both the bar and tables...and we weren't there for a quick in and out so no big deal at all. They were quite courteous so it was barely noticed.

• Visited September 2012
Union, New Jersey
“Excellent Burgers, Fries and Onion Rings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

In fact, almost everything is great. My last visit was with two friends. I had their soup-of-the-day and a giant cheese burger. I like my burger well-done and it has cooked just right. Well-done but not dry. One friend had a chicken parm sandwich and the other the special-of-the-day which was roast beef served with french fries. We all made fast work of our food. Everything was very good.

I have been visiting this place for 10 years or so. Since my last visit, they have spruced up a bit. It used to have the old fashioned 50's look of Philippine mahogany with pool tables in the back room. It now has brickface walls, new floor covering and new bar stools . . . . The long bar is still there but the pool tables are gone. Food is the same and plenty of it. A good value.

From the outside it looks like a real dive but don't let that throw you. It's worth the visit. They have a small parking lot in the rear and you can usually find street parking within a half block.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank ilivennj
Newark, NJ
“Favorite bar / restaurant in the Ironbound section of Newark”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Krugs is my favorite place to go enjoy a bacon cheeseburger, chicken parm, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, and so many other items on the menu. I personally don't like seafood but everyone I know loves their shrimp and calamari. My husband loves their buffalo wings and burgers of course. Their sweet, medium, and hot sauces are delicious!
They recently renovated the front of the bar giving it a whole new atmosphere and feel. They are currently working on the back room. The bar tenders are all really nice and friendly. They have the best bar tenders in newark!! Forget about going to a Portuguese restaurant if you are in Newark. Head to Krugs which has been voted best burger in county by the star ledger many times!!! You will thank me!!!

1 Thank tarabeans

Been to Krug's Tavern? Share your experiences!