“A cut above” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forno's of Spain Restaurant

Forno's of Spain Restaurant
47 Ferry St, Newark, NJ 07105 (North Ironbound)
+1 973-589-4767
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Forno's of Spain Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 514 Restaurants in Newark
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: We are located a two blocks away from Newark Penn Station and New Jersey Transit, which is walking distance.
Description: Fornos of Spain is an award winning Spanish restaurant located in Newark. For an authentic taste of fine Spanish dining, we welcome you to Fornos!
New Jersey
“A cut above”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Visited Fornos with my wife and mother-in-law, who is handicapped. good accessibility - ramp from the rear parking lot and the restrooms were fine. They started us off as soon as we sat down with a magnificent salad - plenty of greens, red onions, hearts of palm, olives and dressed perfectly. The salad was served family style, with plenty for all of us. The bread was, of course, great with a choice of butter or olive oil.
For her birthday my mother-in-law had a 3 pound lobster, and it was amazing! Sweet, cooked perfectly, she finished the entire thing! My wife had the seafood mariscatta and said that the sauce was a bit much for her - not like the dish she has had many times in other similar restaurants. I had the seafood paella and it also was unlike the dish served in other restaurants - served in a flatter pan so that some of the shell fish were slightly overdone. I am also not used to calamari in this dish and can live without it. The lobster, shrimp and scallops were delicious, though. The rice that came with the dish was outstanding! Moist and flavorful! We had other sides - Spanish potato "chips" and green beans which were simple awesome.
Flan for dessert was very good as was the cappucino, topped with a dollop of freshly shipped cream. Yum!
Service was a bit slow at times (the entrees took a bit to long to be served), although the wait staff was extremely professional and attentive.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Andres R, owner at Forno's of Spain Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2015
Happy to hear you and the family enjoyed your meal with us! Excellent call ordering the paella -- sounds like you were impressed with it. I'm glad you had a chance to try the dessert too. We can't wait to have you back again for a meal! Thank you for this wonderful review!

Warm regards,
Andres, Manager

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good for special occasions (price a bit high - off street parking - too much food)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We went here to celebrate mothers 87 th birthday with two other 80 year old parents.

Reservations accepted, off street partaking, courteous staff, good food.

The salad is 'free' but don't kid yourself the entree prices are high and make up for it.

Cheapest meal at out table was $20,, most expensive was $32.

All the food good, but none of us finished our meals. It is way overdone as a quantity.

Still it was good food and good service.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Andres R, owner at Forno's of Spain Restaurant, responded to this review, March 6, 2015
It sounds like your mother had a great time celebrating at our place! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your meal -- we do like to give you the biggest portions possible. Hope you enjoyed the leftovers! Thank you for leaving us this great review last year. We appreciate it. Hope we'll have another chance to welcome you back for another great meal.

All the best,
Andres, Manager
“Great Food...beware, servings are large!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I visited this restaurant twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner. They provide complementary bread, a salad, and a serving of olives all for the table to share. Be careful not to order too much food as servings can be large and everything else is already included. The location can be misleading when seen from the street. Drive around to the back where the main entrance and free valet parking is located and you will find a very warm restaurant. Service was very good!

Windsor, New Jersey
“gr8 after all these years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

when we want a gr8 meal in the ironbound section of Newark, we go to fornos because we never tire of it. I especially like the yellow rice, paella, fish, chicken dishes. you name it, we've had it and like it. it has been decades since we started going to fornos and they have consistently been serving delicious food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Great family style Meal and with a great Selection of Cigars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My brother took me my wife and my Mother along with his family to this Restaurant. We had wine, Sangria, more wine and Sangria. He and his wife are regulars here so they know him! And treated as such with great service, hugs, slaps on the back and great food. I think we had 6 waiters. I had the pecan encrusted Salmon. On boy boy it melted in my mouth we had so much food we couldn't eat it all! This place is great! Those of you in the North East know that you can go one block and the neighborhood can change from good to bad. This place is in the good area they have outside dining, inside white tabled cloth dining a bar, a cigar lounge ,etc. what ever you desire they even walk you to the rest room. I've only seen that done in Paris..but I think the waiter wanted to flirt with my wife:) as he walked her to the rest room he asked her if she was single or married! We all got a laugh out of that! My oldest niece was graduating from High School so this was a special occasion she will attend Temple University in the fall! Congrats to her! The entire night was a great pleasure and Memorable occasion all the way around. We will visit next year hoping to repeat the evening. If in the area I highly recommend ! BTW if you are a Cigar smoker I highly recommend you go thats all I will Say!

• Visited June 2014