“A bit of Spain in New Jersey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forno's of Spain Restaurant

Forno's of Spain Restaurant
47 Ferry St, Newark, NJ 07105-1443 (North Ironbound)
973-589-4767
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 450 restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: We are located a two blocks away from Newark Penn Station and New Jersey Transit, which is walking distance.
Ireland
“A bit of Spain in New Jersey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We often eat here when we are taking a flight from Newark Airport - you can get here a few hours before check-in, relax with a great lunch or dinner knowing you're only 10 minutes from the Terminals. The service is excellent, the food is delicious and the portions are enormous. I'd recommend ordering one meal for two people - you'll still have plenty to eat.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
New York City, NY
“Share your entree”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Food was and service was very good, but there were 4 of us and we ordered a couple of delicious appetizers and each of us
ordered an entree......they were huge.....will share next time esp since appetizers are so good!

Rahway, New Jersey
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We ate there on a Sunday afternoon before a show at the Prudential Center. The meal started off with a great salad. That is the end of the positive review. The sangria was awful, the bread was hard, the paella had mushy seafood and my pork was tough. If the service wasn't so slow, we would have sent the meal back. We waited over an hour for our dinner, fearing we would miss the show, we ate it and left.

Maryland
“A great resturant in Newark, NJ--Yes, I'm serious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was visiting relatives in Newark, NJ and was not at all interested when they suggested this place for dinner. I proposed that we eat in Manhattan, but was out voted. My expectations were pretty low and I planned to drown my disappointment in liquor. However, I was totally blown away...and that's a good thing. The service and the food were awesome!! We were a group of six and we each had a different entree. I nibbled from everyone's plate and loved it all. My suckling pig was moist, well seasoned, and the skin was crisp. The wine selection is good (not great), but not at all over priced. The portions are large, so be prepared to get a doogie bag. I was going to get an appetizer, but changed my mind when the salad arrived. Apparently, it's provided to start the meal in the same manner that Mexican eateries provide salsa and chips. The salad arrived on two large "family-style" platters and iincluded an assortment of vegetables. A couple of "family style" sides also were included with the entrees. One side was nicely seasoned potatos and, sorry, but I can't remember the other one. The place was crowded on a Sunday night and everyone appeared to be having a great time.

This place is not far from the Amtrak station in Newark, NJ. So, if you're taking the train to New York City, get off in Newark, eat here, and get back on the train.

This place is so good, I plan to visit my relatives more often just so I can eat here again. The food is totally worth any family drama that may occur and, for a little while, I can forget that I'm in Newark. (Just kidding, who doesn't love Newark?)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cranbury, New Jersey
“Excellent and elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Whenever I go to the Ironbound section of Newark I struggle to decide whether it will be Fornos or the Iberia Tavern. Fornos is more elegant and closer to the Newark train station if going by train. Partly it's a matter of mood. The service at Fornos is attentive and the food choices abundant and good. The appetizer selection is good--the gambas al ajillo (shrimp in garlic sauce) and Boquerones (anchovies) are particularly good. Wines include those from Spain, Portugal, California and other countries. Portuguese wine is what it is, but I like the Vinho Verde--a light, low-alcohol content wine that is good with most everything. With Vinho Verde one does not have to worry too much about the brand--and certainly not the year. (Fornos also has Spanish wines, including a nice selection of Albarino whites.) Fornos has been one of the standards of the Ironbound section for many years. It is suitable for friends, family, and business.

• Visited December 2012