“Great after all these years” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Don Pepe Restaurant & Caterers

Don Pepe Restaurant & Caterers
844 Mccarter Hwy, Newark, NJ 07102-5209 (Newark Central Business District)
973-623-4662
Cuisines: European, Spanish, Portuguese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Newark Central Business District
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Great after all these years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I revisited Don Pepe twice in the last 2 months. It's been around forever and prior to my recent visits it'd been many years since I'd gone. The food was delish and you can't ask for better service. The waiters are literally standing within a few feet at your beck and call. The drinks are really good, and the alcohol is not spared. The first time I had the veal chops, and although slightly undercooked (I asked for medium well), it was very good. My friends had the salmon and LOVED it. The second time we dined there we all repeated our selections from our previous visit. My veal chops were PERFECT this time, however, both my friends complained that their salmon was greasy. By the way, the garlic shrimp appetizer is SCRUMPTOUS. I think the value overall is great. Their portions are very large especially the crispy potatoes. I would say the vegetable portions aren't as large but decent. I will definitely be back to try some of the other dishes.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newark, New Jersey
“nice resturant to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I ate at Don pepe awhile ago and the food was great, Please try their srimp scampi enjoy the place is very clean and the servers was very nice as well. good customer service too.

Livingston, NJ
“Family Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great food; great variety; gracious service; interesting specials to compliment the huge menu. We've been going there for many years and have gotten to know the owners; the wait staff and bartenders, who have been there for years as well. It is always personal and gracious. Fun, bustling atmospherewith delicious food. A homerun.

Visited December 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Was not impressed with this place, it needs a major makeover and smelled bad when we walked in. The food was good, although too salty. Portions are huge and value was great. Overall though it just didn't impress me.

New York City, New York
“Classic Spanish restaurant in Ironbound district in Newark, New Jersey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We began with the garlic shrimp and fried calamari which were both delicious. Next, we ordered ribeye steak, seafood paella which were wonderful. We ended the meal with chocolate pecan pie, tartufo and strawberries with real whipped cream and decafe.coffees. Everything was delicious. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere