“Beware the Airport Shuttle Service!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

You added SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newark
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bellevue
“Beware the Airport Shuttle Service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2006

I agree with other reviewers that this is a very serviceable hotel. Beds are nice. Rooms are good size. The towels could be better.

But Beware: this hotel has airport shuttle problems!!

On arrival, I called the hotel and was informed that the shuttle bus picks up every 30 minutes (at 15 minutes and 45 minutes of each hour) at P4 Newark Airport. I arrived at P4 at 7:42 pm, and called the hotel again. The gentleman working the front desk said that the shuttle should be there very soon. No shuttle arrived until 8:13 PM. A young man associated with Courtyard Hotel (across the street from SpringHill Suites) jumped off the bus to "welcome" those who were waiting. I asked him why there was no shuttle at 7:45 pm. He did not have an answer.

On board the bus, I asked the young man again why, if the shuttle is supposed to pick up at 45 minutes after the hour, it did not do so. Others heard me complain and the entire bus erupted to join the verbal protest. Others said they had been waiting for 45 minutes for a shuttle! My guess is that the driver decided to go to "lunch" and skip a cycle. Hotel guests were very, very upset, but there was no offer in response. No "please join us for a free beverage in the bar". No offer to "take $5 off your bill for your inconvenience". Nothing. I learned subsequently that the Courtyard runs this shuttle, and the SpringHill Suites morning front desk manager told me that they've had numerous complaints about the service.

Then, the next morning, I fortunately arrived 5 minutes prior to the 5 am shuttle departure time. I was surprised that at that hour, there was an entire busload to the airport. Therefore, because we filled the entire bus, the driver had to skip a pickup at Fairfield Inn.

If you are going to rely on airport shuttle to get to/from this hotel (or Courtyard or Fairfield Inn which all share the shuttle), be advised that the shuttle service is not reliable!

Otherwise, this hotel is just fine for a night stay, and as others have mentioned, breakfast is quite good (especially for the price!).

• Liked — Beds
  • Disliked — Airport Shuttle Service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Las Vegas,NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I was initially very impressed when I went on marriott's website and it gave me the friends and family rate and offered me a pizza 2 liter soda and free in room movie...But, then the staff was just really not very nice or with it. When I checked in, there was a problem with my credit card (not my fault, but funds were unavailable) so I decided I would pay cash for room Woman at desk was flustered and did not understand why I would want to pay cash and continued to run credit card..She looked at me like I was stupid when I told her I would like to pay the nights room plus tax plus a 50 dollar deposit...the manager had to walk her step by step thru the process. Manager initially threw a fit about me paying cash(I am a silver member, so he later decided it was okay).Later during that night, I decided I wanted to order my movie, but the movie was disabled, called staff,said they would fix it, never did until I called the next day and asked. Next day wanted to stay a couple more days and told staff who looked at me like so what and when I tried to pay in cash, got flustered..
So I told to call me back when she understood what she needed to do..never called me back...and later was sent notice from front desk supervisor that I needed to settle balance which very much inferioted me..Finally paid in cash and I still had to walk staff member through process
There was no phone books in room to call and order food or restaurant phone numbers available in room..Location was very inconvenient, although shuttle makes it great to go to airport and then to New York, but overall staff very rude and unapproachable!!

Stayed July 2006
Costa Mesa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

What a great place to stay. The staff was above average. The suites were outstanding and clean as could be. The breakfast was the icing on the cake. We stayed for two days and would recommend this property to anyone.

As far as the location goes, it is a little tricky but using Mapquest we were guided right to the front desk with no problems at all.

It would be nice if they offered a shuttle to the PATH station, 2 miles away, as the cab ride is $18, but for the price of the room, choking down the cab fare wasn't that big of an issue.

• Liked — The rooms were awesome.
  • Disliked — Tricky location but not all that bad
  • Tips/Secrets — Book 2 months in advance, online, and save a bundle.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethlehem, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed one night in this hotel and I was pleased with our room. The room was really clean, the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I had ever slept in. The microwave is a nice touch but having the mini-fridge in the room was great for keeping our drinks cold.

The location for this hotel really stinks. Granted, it is right next to the Newark airport. We had drove into NYC and it was all we could do to get back to the hotel. We could see it but with the way the roads are it was really hard to be able to get near it without medians being in the way. Make sure to ask for their direction sheet as soon as you check in so you can find your way back!!

As others have mentioned, dining near the hotel is extremely lacking, especially if you don't care for McDonald's. The lobby did have a small 'store' that offered beverages, junk food, very hard Uncrustable sandwiches and some microwave food in another corner.

The employees at check-in weren't exactly rude but they didn't really seem to enjoy their job at all.

If you need a place to stay to catch a flight at the airport, I would highly recommend it. If you are staying there for an extended amount of time and don't mind road confusion and McD's being the only option around to eat - this is your place!

• Liked — Really comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to get the direction sheet at check-in so you can return to the hotel without having an anxiety attack!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2006

Hotel staff was very pleasant. We had trouble finding the hotel but staff stayed on our cell phone until we finally found hotel. Rooms were very clean and tidy. Pool was a nice amenity for the kids, also clean. Shuttles didn't run according to schedule, and some of the details regarding hotel, the staff gave wrong or different information from one another. But, this was small details. Going home from airport, we waited about 45 minutes for a shuttle.

• Stayed April 2006
COLORADO SPRINGS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

I asked for a wake up call and never got it. Reply was "sorry about that" and request to have the Manager contact me went without response.

Stayed April 2006
SIOUX FALLS, SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

We stayed at this hotel twice on our trip to NYC area. The staff was great except for a housekeeper one morning that knocked on the door early and woke us up. The rooms are in like new condition and the hotel is very clean and well maintained.

This hotel meets Marriott's high standards of quality.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport? Share your experiences!