“Really enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

You added Courtyard Newark Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   858 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newark
London, Canada
“Really enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My adult daughter and I stayed two nights at the hotel before going on a cruise from Cape Liberty NJ. We were glad to have the convenience of the shuttle from the airport, the walk to Penn Station so short, and the few restaurants around the corner by the Prudential building so friendly. We were out during the day and felt safe. All the hotel staff were very helpful, the food in the cafe in the hotel very good. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street. There were sirens during the night but we have the same at home.
Green Features: Good practices were in place at the hotel. I am told this needs to be 50 characters long so I will keep on typing till I am there. I think when a hotel implements good environmentally-friendly practices they sometimes go unnoticed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've stayed at plenty of 5 stars hotels before, as well as some last minute dive like hotels, so I am well versed in proper hotel communication and customer service.

It was about noon and i was waiting for my hubby to meet me at the hotel to check in as the room was in his name n he was paying. I was using the free computer in the lobby for guests to kill time waiting for my hubby. The security guard approached me asking if I was a guest and I told him we were checking in shortly once my hubby came. He asked his name and I kindly gave it to him. After about 10 minutes he approached me again stating the PC was for guests only and since the room was under my husbands name I was technically not a guest.

I was asked to get off the computer and had 5 min to do so. I was disgraced!! Even if my name is not the name on the res I am still a guest and should b treated with the the same respect. It was quite embarrassing and just turned me off from wanting to even stay there. How could they not allow a guest who is paying to stay for 1 week at $200/night denied free computer use while waiting to check in.

I'd rather spend my money elsewhere instead of paying all that to stay in a poverty stricken area where I hear gun shots n sirens at all hours!!

• Stayed May 2014
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey of our hotel LadyD81. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced when using our business center computers. All guests of our hotel have the right to use our complimentary business center and I will be sure to review your posting with our security team.

Respectfully,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The hotel was great if you look at it in a vacuum - standard Courtyard Marriott offering with great amenities. Gym, airport shuttle, 24 hr market place, free internet, lounge and bar etc. Rooms, beds, toilets etc are extremely clean. We were glad to come back to it every night! Just be mindful of the locality - it's situated (in my opinion) in a very depressed neighborhood with police sirens wailing all the time. If you're a person who is sensitive to loud sirens all through the night, this is NOT the place for you. Luckily for us, we are a bunch of heavy sleepers; but we still woke up with loud sirens 3-4 times through the 2 nights that we stayed. Parking is convenient although not attached. If you're planning to return late night to Newark Penn station, I recommend a $7 taxi ride to the hotel. Morning walks to the station from the hotel are fine. Lots of parking around the area; 1 or 2 decent places to eat although (again) its NOT a place to go out 'fine dining' in the evening!

Room Tip: Pick a room AWAY from Broad street. Rooms are spacious; we had the one with 2 queen.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for posting a review of our hotel Monish S. While I'm glad you enjoyed the many complimentary amenities the hotel offers I apologize for any disturbance the city noise may have caused you during your stay. I would also be happy to personally recommend some excellent fine dining restaurants that are just a short cab ride away. We hope to see you again.

Best wishes,

Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Right next to Prudential center, this place was perfect for a graduation overnight stay last week. Was very impressed by the size of the room - very large and spacious room, two queen beds with plenty of room to move around. Beds were comfortable, bathroom decent - overall a very comfortable stay.

There was a parking garage just around the corner. And Prudential Center was less than 1 block away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Ten minutes from the train and a ten minute train ride to new York
Where the hotel is situated isn't the best but on the corner there is joes crab shack mmm foods awesome
Jersey gardens mall fantastic for shopping and only about 15 minutes away
Also Hoboken is a short car or train ride away and you can visit Carlos bakery if you know the show

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dieppe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Newark always gets a bad rap. So that being said I will give the positives about this hotel. Airport shuttle from Newark liberty, and to Penn Station. Hotel is only about 2 years old and is in great shape. Rooms very nice and clean, breakfast in the morning was good too. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Location of the hotel is ok. Good thing is that it's only about 10 minute walk to Penn Station. Had no trouble with the reservation, or check in or check out. I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: higher rooms for better view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Very nice, clean, updated hotel. Some of the reviews may have you concerned with the area. I never felt unsafe during my stay here. However, for this location this place definitely stands out. The area is up and coming.

The check-in area is very new, has an open lobby that includes a bar, TV's, plenty of couches, seats, lounging area. The bar was out a few things (wines) which seemed weird because it was not a busy night. Food was good though.

Rooms are very large, very clean. The bathroom is clean and spacious. Bring your own bath supplies, soap, etc., as the supplies here are very basic and small. Beds are not very comfortable which was weird because I've been to other, older Courtyards and this was never a problem. (Courtyard Meadowlands in fact).

Parking is not free, which is typical around here. Only gripe was the location of the parking which is not the hotels fault. Also, you have to go up 4 floors in the garage to park which makes things a bit more difficult. At least cut the parking price down to $10.

I would have given 4 stars but had to knock it down to 3 for the current parking situation. I know, at $21, you are getting relatively cheaper parking during the games or events at Prudential, but it still doesn't feel like a deal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Hello Shaun G,

Thank you so much for providing your detailed feedback on your recent stay with us. Any of your concerns I will be sure to address with the appropriate departments. In regards to parking, unfortunately it is now owned by the hotel and we are subject to their rates. Their rates, however, are very comparable with that of other hotels' parking garages in downtown Newark. Thank you again for your leaving your review.

Fondly,

Assistant General Manager

Been to Courtyard Newark Downtown? Share your experiences!