“Modern, New and Excellent Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Newark Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   858 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Newark
South Jersey, USA
“Modern, New and Excellent Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to attend a conference at Rutgers University. The hotel is within walking distance to its Newark campus. Based on the information we gathered, it is safe to walk during the day. But one should avoid walking at night, especially not alone. The hotel is new and everything inside the hotel is nice and clean. Every staff member that we came to contact with, either over the phone or in person, provided excellent service to us. We also received wonderful service through emails before and after the trip from managers that we did not meet. We will definitely recommend this hotel to others and will stay there in the future if we visit the area.
P.S., we did not visit the fitness center nor the swimming pool.

Room Tip: The parking garage is not connected to the hotel so you have to walk a very short distance on the st...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hello fromsouthjersey,

Thanks for your superb review. Our team takes much pride in the service we strive to provide to each guest and I'm glad you had excellent experiences with each staff member you encountered. I hope next time you and your husband are here you find some time to enjoy our large, spacious fitness center.

Warm Regards,

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Harlingen, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I spent 2 nights here with a friend and it was great. The rooms were clean, spacious, and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. The Queen beds were very comfortable, and the restroom was spacious enough for 2 people. The HD TV was cool and the hotel had actual HD channels to show on the HD TV. I was very happy with the room.

I had breakfast at the Bistro and they give you a lot of food, but it was delicious.

The lobby was really nice to look at and there were a great amount of comfortable chairs to sit in. The staff that worked there were very nice and professional.

One caveat though: we shared a room that was facing Broad Street, which got very noisy at night. It disturbed my sleep very much on the first night because there was construction outside. Make sure you get a room facing away from Broad Street. You'll sleep better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side of Broad Street are probably quieter. Try to get those.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback Isabel G. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here with us. I'll be sure to share your glowing review with our staff. If you return to the area please feel free to reach out to me prior to your arrival so I can ensure I reserve you an extra quiet room.

Best Wishes,

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've stayed at the Courtyard a few times when doing an overnight stay to watch the Red Bulls. The hotel is a short walk from Newark Penn train station. It's pretty new with a nice lobby to hang out at night which is ideal as the neighborhood is not really one for strolling after dark. Both service and the rooms are at the upper range for a courtyard and there is a small gym with limited equipment inside the hotel.

Nearby there are a number of food options such as Dinosaur BBQ, and Joe's Crab Shack. It also looks like there will be more casual yet nice options opening in the near future.

Another bonus is the proximity to the Ironbound district with its plethora of spanish, portuguese, and brazilian food and entertainment as well as the Newark museum which is a little gem.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I agree there are many great restaurants located near the hotel, especially in the Ironbound District. We are also thrilled that Joe's Crab Shack recently opened on the ground floor of the hotel.

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Was really liking this hotel until we decided to grab a burger at the Bistro. Ordered a burger which was really pretty good. We ate the burger and decided we wanted coffee. Other hotel guest started coming down for eats. We had to wait until every other person was served until the person attending the counter started on the coffee which was was all of 30 minutes or more.( no exaggerating). I am not blaming the one person in the front and the one person we saw in the back but if Marrriot is going to have a "Bistro Restaurant" it should at least be staffed with more than 2 people. The front person had to bring orders to the tables for each person and make alcoholic drinks etc. - too much for the staff present. We should not have had to wait that long. Other than this incident and the less than desirable neighborhood the hotel itself is a good place to stay if you are attending a Prudential event. We loved hanging out in the lobby lots of seating and TVs. We didn't use the parking and I can understand why the lobby is on the second floor and security on the 1st floor. Rooms modern and fairly clean except for a few hairs on floor in bathroom and floor felt stickey.

• Stayed October 2013
I greatly appreciate your feedback. I am glad to see you enjoyed your dinner in the Bistro and apologize for any delays you experienced getting your coffee. We will be sure to use this as a training tool with the staff.

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Was in Newark for work, great location, clean new safe hotel. Good friendly staff, a pleasant surprise. Quiet solid building was also happy to do my own laundry. Had a comfy lounge & decent exercise room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had been planning a college visit trip with my son to NYC, Brooklyn & Pennsylvania. I figured to fly in to Newark and then take trains to different colleges. I was swayed by the Hotel's proximity to Newark's Penn Station since I thought it to be a 15 to 20 minute walk. Reading past reviews I was a little concerned about the surroundings. I could have not being so wrong, the shuttle form the airport was quick, at the front desk we were immediately greeted with a warm smile and directions to the second floor lobby. Gabrielle was on duty and remembered speaking with me the day prior to arrival. I cannot say enough about how professional and sweet she was. Found my reservations, went over the details of my booking and gave me information about services such as happy hour, restaurant hours, breakfast hours, amenities and shuttle services not only to the airport but to Penn Station as well. Room was clean, comfy and quiet. Every member of hotel staff was amazingly friendly and warm, housekeepers, front desk, shuttle driver, restaurant staff, simply AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!! I travel for my company and this hotel staff has beaten lots of recent stays at other Marriott and Hilton properties. Keep the good work guys.

Room Tip: If you are traveling to the city, know noise will be there and no one can control it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we will be sure to recognize Gabrielle for her efforts.

GM
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I had a chance to stay at the Courtyard at the start of my recent trip to New York. Since it was relatively last minute, the places in the city were crazy expensive and I was getting in pretty late. I was originally going to stay by the Newark airport, but decided since the Courtyard had a free shuttle, and I had to go to the WTC area of lower Manhattan in the morning, being close to Newark Penn and the PATH was my best alternative.

I was a little worried by the neighborhood which despite the pockets (like the hotel) of gentrification, it is still in the heart of Newark. The hotel is relatively new and has all the amenities of the newer Courtyards. The rooms were surprisingly large and spacious and the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to Newark Penn (not horrible during the day, but still a little sketchy).

The workout room also has plenty of new equipment which is always key when away from home.

My only complaint was that my room was on the street side and they were jackhammering for a big part of the night (luckily the building was pretty sound proof so I was able to eventually fall asleep.

One thing I would like to point out was that I realized after leaving (and I didn't have time to come back due to a flight and work I needed to do) that I left something valuable at the hotel. I called right away and spoke to Nick who immediately went up to my room, retrieved the article and kept it safe for me until I could get back a few days later. I thought for sure it was lost but was more than pleasantly surprised by the speed and willingness to look for it and secure it for me. Having lost my share of stuff on planes and at hotels where it never turns up, I was really pleased they could save me from myself! Awesome job!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your posting and it was our pleasure assisitng you with your lost belonging.

Been to Courtyard Newark Downtown? Share your experiences!