“Perfect for an event at the Prudential center” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

You added Courtyard Newark Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   858 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Newark
“Perfect for an event at the Prudential center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for the Taylor Swift concert and it was perfect. We just walked next door to the show and got to walk home afterwards. The parking is expensive, but not when you don't have to park for the show!
The food options are very limited, not quite what I expected based on the website, but overall a nice hotel for a stay in Newark.

Room Tip: ask for a high room in the back--less street noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hello Michele F,

Thank you so much for staying with us when you visited the Prudential Center. Please contact me if you are back in the area so I can help accommodate any of your food and beverage needs.

Warm Regards,
Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed the week of July 4th on business. Hotel is clean, clearly new. Reception was nice.

The amenities are lacking. Gym is terribly small. Food options are a joke (and ridiculously expensive). No pool. The garage is on the other side of the city block so you will be walking to your car. It was 21.00$ a day for parking in addition to your other room charges. The area is not nice. I frequent Brooklyn and Bronx regularly but I definitely wouldn't walk around this area of Newark after dark.

All in all, it's okay for business. I didn't have a say as to my hotel
Because my company chose it for me - so I'm not upset. For Newark I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't bring children here at all though.

I'll be back next week on business again. Thanks for a comfortable stay, Courtyard Newark at Broad Street!

• Stayed July 2013
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here last night while in town for some business at the courthouse. The hotel was very clean and quiet. I was impressed by the service, too - we received very helpful information via the staff a few days before our arrival, which included information on Prudential Center events, parking directions, and more. It was very valuable.

NOTE you should check about Prudential Center events before you book.

Also, note that there is not a "driveway" or any sort of real pull-in off the street. That was fine for us when we arrived at midnight (there is a security guard at the front door) but I don't know how easy it would be to park out front and unload your car if you arrived mid-day. Luckily the parking lot is just around the corner.

The streets of Newark were not that nice, but the hotel itself was nice and clean and the staff were all very helpful and accomodating.

Room Tip: All seemed fine. Maybe ask to be facing the back of the building if traffic noise bothers you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Newark_CY_AGM, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. In reference to the driveway, we do have a cut-out in front of the hotel for pick-up and drop-off to make it easier to drop your luggage before parking, if that is your preference. Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to have you back in the future!

Nicholas Pappagallo ~ General Manager
ncallaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is just like any other Courtyard with the exception of its horrible service. The rooms were appointed with the usual Courtyard fare. Rooms were spacious and it even had a refrigerator. The hotel is near Newark Penn Station which is major transportation hub and gives you access to the Newark Airport Airtrain.If staying at the hotel one has access to the shuttle service that will take you to the airport/ or train station. The hotel would serve as an excellent alternative to staying in NYC. The hotel is about 20 minutes away by train from NYC. The reason why I didn't rate it higher was the poor service and attitude that the staff have. After reading several reviews on tripadvisor concerning the staff so I was a little prepared for what was in store. However when I arrived at the hotel I was greeted with attitude as I tried to check-in but was told that check-in isn't until 3pm. As I was telling the clerk I had arranged an for an early check-in through my reservation she interrupted me and said that check-in was at 3pm and she didn't even try to bother looking up my reservation. I had arrived at 11am and had plans to freshen up/ change and head to the outlet mall that is near the airport. However I had to wait with several other people until 3pm so we could check-in. Also the Bistro staff tried to over charge me for food that was to be included in my meal price and the food is OVERPRICED! If I hadn't had a good rate and the transportation to NYC wasn't available then I would have headed to another Marriott hotel (I'm a marriott rewards member). Also the hotel is in an up/coming neighbor w/ alot of cheap, junky yet eclectic shops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hello ncallaha,

I appreciate your feedback on our hotel. I am very disappointed to hear about the service you experienced here. I invite you to please reach out to me at matt.garber@marriott.com so we can discuss this further. Thanks again.

Regards,

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager
San Jose, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you are looking for a moderately priced hotel within walking distance to Newark Penn Station in New Jersey then this is your place. No bells or whistles here just nice clean rooms. The service was ok and pleasant enough. One thing to know is if you plan on parking a car here it will cost you $22.00 per day. I picked this hotel because of its proximity to NYC and the 10 min walk to the train was not a hassle. It is only a 15 min train ride away with trains running all through the night. This is a less expensive way to get the most of your NYC trip without paying those NYC Hotel prices. This hotel does have free wifi which was nice. All in all I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Remember U need your key card to use the elevator!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Newark Downtown. I am happy to see you found the amenities and location of the hotel useful and I hope you were also able to utilize our complimentary shuttle to and from Newark Penn Station.

Nicholas Pappagallo ~ General Manager
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

In Newark for work. This was the only hotel room I could find other than at the airport. Was a bit worried from the reviews, but this hotel is really nice. Nice part of town by newark standards, although I still would not want to wander around after dark. Hotel seems new. Room is clean, well laid out, great AC, and a super comfortable bed (and I am hard to please on this last one). I can see where parking would be a problem if there is an event at the prudential center, but not an issue this week. BTW the prudential center is impressive. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Stoughton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was in town for a friend's birthday celebration. I needed a cheap place to stay near the city. This hotel was everything that I was looking for: clean, new, free wifi, and close to Newark Penn Station. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are clean. The staff could be friendlier but everything I needed I received. I would recommend for anyone who is looking to visit NYC and stay someplace close and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard Newark Downtown? Share your experiences!