“Great Hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Newark Downtown

You added Courtyard Newark Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Newark Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   858 Broad Street, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Enjoy Great Summer Rates!
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Toronto
“Great Hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had the pleasure in staying at the new "Coutyard" hotel in Downtown Newark. The Hotel is well laid out, very nice spacious room, and a wonderful staff. I checked in Friday afternoon. I decided to take the train into NYC. The Front Desk staff told be the route, advised me on where to go, etc. At one point, I left my cell phone charger @ home, and the girl at the Front desk lent me hers!

Room Tip: I would suggest that you ask for a room facing the Prudential Arena. The view won't be great, b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review Canuckwilltravel! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to help you, consistent with the expectations of service we expect at Marriott. We hope to see you soon!

Matt Garber
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Check in was a breeze. The hotel is new and very nice. The rooms are very nice as well. Fridge, coffee maker, and iPod docking station in the room. I placed an order from the Bistro and the server was friendly and accommodating because I needed my smoothie to be non-dairy. One thing to note is you do have to walk out of the parking garage and around the corner to the hotel but it takes about 2 minutes. There is no inside bridge connecting the hotel and parking garage. I called for extra pillows and a blanket and it was delivered right away. Housekeeping staff was very nice as well.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room and not a street view. Newark never sleeps and you will hear outside noise al...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here just one night in mid-January 2013 as a stopover in between flights from Berlin to Vail. The Courtyard offers an airport shuttle to EWR, which I believe runs once an hour, leaving the hotel on the hour. I was lucky and didn't have to wait long for pickup at the airport. Upon arrival at the hotel I was welcomed with a scratch-off card and won a free item from the small food shop and chose a $9 sandwich. The check-in guy was friendly and efficient. My room was spacious, modern and clean and had a coffee maker and free wifi, which worked without a hitch. After a quick nap I walked to Newark Penn Station to take a Path train into Manhattan ($4.50 roundtrip, 45 minutes each way). The station is about six blocks away (12-minute walk). Leaving the hotel I felt like I was the only white guy among about a hundred people on the main street, but after I turned the corner and went towards the sports arena, it was again a different world with a typical city mix. Downtown Newark is kind of boring with a poor selection of retail establishments, but it was nice to be so close to the Path train and not have to pay at least $25 to take the other trains into NYC. There was no free breakfast, but there is free coffee in the lobby as well as Internet. The check-out woman on Sunday wasn't as friendly as the guy, but it was fast and problem-free, just like check-in. I will probably stay here again in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Altoona, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here February 9th. Property is obviously brand new. Staff, not so much. Front desk reception, rude. Guy that sits at the front door had headphones in the whole time and if we tried to ask directions or anything, he said that wasn't his job! Room was clean and simple. No complaints there. Not happy with staff at all. Not staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newark_CY_AGM, Manager at Courtyard Newark Downtown, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for the feedback Kacy D. I can assure you the service you received at our hotel is not the norm and actions will be taken to prevent this from occurring in the future. I hope you give us a second chance so we can become your first choice. Please let me know if you plan on coming back so we can take extra special care of you.

Matt Garber - Assistant General Manager
Pace, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Overall I was pleased by this hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful, good food choices in the Bistro, nice gym layout and equipment.

Only drawbacks are what appear to be some sloppy work from a construction standpoint, tub faucet loose, missing caulk, etc. and one weird anomaly. Intermittently, I could hear phone conversations and music coming from the vent above the bed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Had business in Newark and stayed at this hotel. It was very clean and very nice. I think it's a fairly new hotel and the staff is trying to keep it as beautiful as possible. The only thing I didn't like was that there's really nothing to do around there. Penn Station Newark is close and the hotel runs a shuttle there every hour.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

What a very nice property in the middle of downtown Newark, NJ. Very new, extremely clean, well decorated, pleasant rooms and friendly staff. What more is there to say. If again in this area for business I would definetly stay at this property. If you wanted you can walk to Penn Station Newark, and take the train into NYC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Newark Downtown? Share your experiences!