“Very good, solid Iberian food with a modern twist.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Catas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 471 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Jackson St.
Description: Resume editing Catas is the perfect place to come to dine and wine. The architecture of the building is inspired by the famous architect Guadi. Our cuisine is Iberian influence with modern cooking styles and touches. We also offer an extensive wine and cocktail menu.
Holmdel, New Jersey
“Very good, solid Iberian food with a modern twist.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you are someone who enjoys Iberian (Spanish/Portuguese) food, I highly recommend giving Catas a shot.

The entire restaurant is done in a Gaudi theme with intricate tiling, marblework, and lighting. Very good design.

The food is excellent. Do not expect to get a traditional heaping plate as is the case at most Ironbound restaurants, but you will be filled up.

• Visited December 2012

new jersey
“Consitently good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've eaten here a few times (dinners) and have never had a bad meal.
Unique layout as it is very narrow by the bar, but opens up in the back and also has a second floor. Some outdoor seating is also available.
Bartenders are the cutest in the Ironbound (if that is important to you).
Two cavaets: Lunch menu is disappointingly very limited and no Spanish/Portugeuase options--except the fried manchego cheese.
Also on NY Red Bull's gameday, this is the meeting place for one of the supporter's groups (Viking Army)---definitly worth a visit before a game as it gets very festive with signing and drinking--closest bar in the Ironbound to Red Bull arena--short walk over the bridge.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Fabulous! Delicious! Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Celebrated my brother in law's 50th birthday with my family at Catas yesterday. What a great Spanish restaurant. I loved their food, the ambiance, the decor, the prices, everything!! Worth going to. The food is the BEST there! Variety of Cold and Hot Tapas as well as Entrees. Their Sangria is off the hook. Being from Spain I must say their food is top notch there and their friendly service staff are great! They put a smile on everyone's face and cater to your every need. They have a very nice bar and big screens for the games as well as a second floor lounge and a DJ booth. The back room is great for large parties. Here's to the owners! Great job on Catas. Will definitely return and refer!! Thanks for a memorable time! :0)

• Visited August 2012
Staten Island, New York
“Great atmosphere and great food to match”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend purchased a Groupon deal for this restaurant. We went there together and were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious. I ordered octopus tapas and salmon wrapped in phylo dough for my main course and I couldn't out my fork down. I was stuffed by the end of the meal! We didn't pay much for the groupon, but I would most definitely go back.

New Jersey
“Slow service and the place was empty!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Since it was so hot out, we decided to use one of my many living social coupons for Catas. The reviews were good so off we went. We ate there today. There was one other couple seated in the dining room. When we left two hours later there were no other couples in the dining room. He had the grilled pawns. I had the seafood salad tapas. Both were good. No lemon with it. Then we noticed that a group of ladies came in the visit the chef.we know this because they spoke loudly about how they knew the chef and wanted to surprise him. He came out and visited with them for several minutes. I guess that is why our entrees took an hour from the time we got there. In fact, the service was so slow that we could have left the dining room and no one would have noticed. He had the steak. I had the salmon in phyllo dough. Although the waiter apologized for the wait, the whole dining experience was a bust.They were quick to tack on a 20% tip even though the did not include an automatic tip fee,. The waiters and even the guy who parked cars were very chatty and attentive to everyone and everything else. The meal was not worth it even with the coupon. We will not be visiting them again. If you still have your living social voucher. Sit at the bar, get 40 dollars worth of drinks and leave. You will expire waiting for your food.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to Catas? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Catas, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.