“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Newark
London, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here, the first being two years ago. The lobby has now been improved and there are two computers for free use and wifi is free. This is an airport hotel which operates 24 hours. Breakfast is included and that saves money. Yes, there is plastic cutlery and plates - that saves money and time. Our room was as spacious as we had last time and had coffee-making facilities. There are two vending machines just off the lobby. We had a quick meal of burgers when we arrived and the waiter/barman was very obliging. The shuttle bus picked us up at P4 after our arrival at Terminal B - we used the courtesy phone at P4 to let the hotel know and we did go outside to wait. If you have an early flight there is an express breakfast in the lobby and you will need to book the shuttle bus. Otherwise the bus goes every half an hour and will take you to the terminal you need, to P4 or on to Newark Penn Station. The water was hot and the water pressure was absolutely fine. You do look out on parking lots but this is an airport hotel and does not pretend to be luxury accommodation. We have found this to be good value on both occasions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is so below par, I DO NOT recommend staying at this hotel at all.

Reason #1: Our hotel keys needed to be reset after every use (apparently something to do with the batteries in the door - I've never had this issue anywhere else)
Reason #2: I have never stayed at a hotel that uses disposable plates, cups and cutlery for breakfast meals (which are not properly stocked throughout breakfast time)
Reason #3: Parking lot is too narrow and small
Reason #4: The original room we were assigned to was not even clean (unmade bed), so they gave us a free upgrade to a junior suites, and it STILL had issues (see #6)
Reason #5: Cleaning schedule seems very questionable (checked in the garbage bin on our floor was over-flowing at 10:00 p.m. by 10:30 a.m. the next day, it was still not clean)
Reason #6: Two of the power outlets and one light switch in our room wasn't working

I am not being unreasonable, but these things add up. The manager of this hotel really has some work to do.

Did I mention that someone was smoking pot somewhere in the building, and the awful stench was blown into our bathroom?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was going to be a rating of 4 before I had my morning shower. There was very little water pressure. The price was right, the shuttle service was great. Both to and from airport as well as an evening service that picks up from Pen. Station. Bed was great, as were pillows. I mean, it is not a place to go hang out for a few days. Its in a dingy industrial area close to the airport. A reasonable budget place to get some sleep when you are dealt a hold over in Newark airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I had plans for a one night stay near downtown Newark, and I came across the Best Western's Ad on the Expedia website. The promotional rate was for $109.99 a night for the "Standard King", and after I saw several positive reviews for this hotel I decided to book the room. The package included free wireless internet, and a free breakfast buffet served during the early morning hours. My room had a large flat screen TV, a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffee maker, and a safe, however, it can only be used after you pay a small fee at the front desk. There are rooms here that has a jacuzzi at a higher price. There is a bar, and dining area on the first floor so alcoholic beverages, lunch, and dinner is served all day till about 10:30pm. You can find out more about the hotel's amenities on Expedia.com. I was surprised at the hotel's decor. The hallways had nice looking carpets. The walls were beautifully decorated with wallpaper, photos, and paintings. There is a free shuttle bus that will take you to, and from Newark Airport. There are a few negatives that I must mention, and it has nothing to do with the hotel, instead has to do the location. This hotel is located on a busy major U.S. highway, in an industrial area, along with a few other popular hotels, and the roads are not designed for pedestrian travel. Public transportation is not available to, and from this hotel, and the area's main attractions are not within walking distance from this hotel either. You will need a car if you want to get around on your own! Free parking is available on site. If you're a budget traveler looking for a one night/layover stay then I would recommend, but if your stay is going to be several nights, and you want to be within walking distance to restaurants, shops, and attractions then this hotel will not be a good choice. I had my personal car so it was a very good stay for me.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was looking for a hotel in the proximity of the Newark airport which had a bar for just one night. We had a GPS in our rented car so we got to the hotel easliy. The hotel was perfect!. We had no troubles finding a parking space. Check in was fast. Nice cosy beds (especially after a long flight). And we could enjoy a beer. Breakfast was okay as long you dont mind that everything (plates, cuttlery, etc.) are made of plastic. (but that seems to be normal)
I can only recommend the place for a short stay. From the hotel there is easy access to the different highways.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
california United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Please do not stay in this hotel even for a single night. I have the worst experience of my life in this hotel!!
I was sick and tired with the long flight but the shuttle didn't STOP for me to pick from airport. When I finally reach at hotel there was no facility of coffee or water. At night i ran out of my bottled water and i desperately looked for drinking water or vending machine but couldn't find anything. At the end I have to drink the tap water from wash room.
Thank God I did stayed only one night !!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Beth O, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
First we would like to apologize for the unfortunate misunderstanding, and any inconvenience it caused you. Our hotel has a 24 hour snack shop located in the lobby. This snack shop has a vending machine with bottled water at all times. We also have a purified water fountain located in the breakfast area, which is complimentary. Coffee is available 24 hours a day free of charge in the breakfast area, and you also have a complimentary coffee maker in your room.
Fortuna, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Everyone, every shift, front desk, shuttle drivers and wait staff, were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Room was spacious, lots of towels. Bar/restaurant had limited selection -- mostly sandwiches and burgers -- but what they had was good. Hot eggs and sausage for breakfast. Shuttle not only to and from airport, but also train station. Only complaints: slippery tub with no grab bars, and tub stopper was broken. Neighborhood is 100% industrial, and this 70ish woman didn't feel comfortable taking a walk outside alone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West? Share your experiences!