“amazing for the money spent!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Newark
London, United Kingdom
“amazing for the money spent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I had missed our flight and were put on the stand-by list. At the end of the day, we were exhausted and didn't make it out, so we decided to phone a couple of hotels so as not to spend the night at the airport.

Luckily, the Best Western had a room available for $100. I was nervous because in the past, Best Western were always a bit on the down-trodden side.

But this was POSH! We walked into our room and were amazed at how plush and nice it was, especially considering the price.

Not your typical Best Western (unless they've all under gone an overhaul and I'm just not aware o it).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Quincy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Last night, I was turned away at 11pm from this Best Western in Newark, despite having a reservation and proof of my reservation in my hand.

I reserved a room on 11/3 and printed out the confirmation email and I phoned the day before and confirmed again (I was concerned because of the aftermath of the hurricanine to make sure they were operational) Every step along the way I was toild no problem. I have a reservation.

When I arrived at the front desk, after a 7 hour drive, I was told my room was gone and that I had been "sent an email." I received two emails - one on 11/3 and one on 11/8 - both were confirmations of my room.

I was offerred no assistance of any kind to find a room and had to call many, many hotels from my car.

I finally got a room in Secaucus, a half an hour drive way, but that room cost me an additional $80 over the price of the room I had for the Best Western. I had selected this room because of its proximity to NYC - I attended an event at the Prudential Center and had planned to stay the night at this hotel and then take the shuttle to Penn Station Newark the next day. I had plans to take the train into Manhattan and spend the day with friends.

I have looked over all of their information on their website and in their confirmation emails and can see no notice that I will lose my room if I don't show up by a certain time or that I needed to tell them I would be a late arrival.

If I cancelled after 4pm or did not show, I know and accept that they legally get to keep my room charge. So, where is my safety net? I will file a complaint with whomever oversees hotels in New Jersey, but beware. Don't trust that Best Western honors its reservations or takes care of its customers.

Mary Sullivan
Boston

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brasilia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were visiting NY and searching for a place which was affordable and could offer facilities such as breakfast and shuttle service. That's it! We could use the shuttle to Penn Station and from there to Manhattan; need a car to rent? Shuttle to the airport, pick or drop. Add a friendly staff and save your dollars to spend at NYC (you'll need them)

Room Tip: Far from railway....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Summerland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights - Oct 3 to 6, and found it to be extremely pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful. The complimentary shuttle to and from the Newark Penn Station Subway station was an added bonus, which we found most accommodating. I had read previous reviews of this hotel, and booked it with trepidation. However, we were very pleasantly surprised, and had no complaints, with the accommodation.. The only drawback is there is nowhere to take a comfortable walk around the hotel, however, as I stated the shuttle would take one into Neward Penn Station where there were lots of places to walk if so inclined.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed a weekend here as part of a United Airlines weekend vacation package. In reality, we booked a couple of days earlier--we needed to be in Newark and we needed a place to stay. We found the hotel to be clean, the entire staff friendly and helpful, the food great, the shuttle service efficient and on-time. We agree totally with the other positive reviews. One caveat alluded to in another review, it is buried in an industrial section behind the airport. You are not going to walk downtown to the Newark Symphony. However, their excellent shuttle service (and they have the number to a taxi/driving service, which we used) will get you to and from the airport & the airport station, which has Amtrak, Jersey Coast, Path train service to New York, Trenton, Philadelphia and the greater Newark area as well as other transportation options to entertainment/sport/sight seeing venues. We would and will be staying here again earlier next year. Hats off to everyone at the BW Plus International Way & thanks for a great stay!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel really is in the middle of nowhere sandwiched between the airport service road and the railroad track. It is accessed via a truck yard or what looks like one and I think it is a converted warehouse. Rooms are basic and very dated, bathroom was ok, but the carpet was tacky and it was cold. Bar downstairs was ok, and managed to soften the misery. The mystical shuttle bus did arrive at Newark airport after about 45 minutes and in fairness it did drop me at the station to catch the train in to Manhatten.
I think you can get better for the price and I wouldn't ever stay here again. In fact I have asked our company travel agent to blacklist this hotel so nobody has to suffer the indignity of staying here again...

Room Tip: Try a tent on the service road verge if you want a good room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and were pleasantly surprised. The past reviews were untrue based on our experience. The hotel is next to the airport and we only heard a plane when we were outside. We did hear a train horn around 9 am as the hotel is right next to the train tracks. The breakfast was great for what we paid for it, which was ZERO. There was scrambled eggs, sausages, hash browns and waffles along with your regular continental fare. Our room was huge-#216. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The lobby internet was a little slow at times, but we seemed to have no issues in the room. We used the complimentary shuttle to and from Penn Station; when they say leaves promptly at 10, it leaves promptly at 10. The only "inconvenience" was the fact that each time we returned to our room after being gone for the day, our room keys did not work. This is a safety feature that has been implemented by the hotel in case you were to lose your key inside the folder that had your room number listed on it-not so inconvenient anymore, smart and safe. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 216 is at the very end of the hall and is huge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West? Share your experiences!