“Not sure I would stay here again!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 21 hotels in Newark
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Not sure I would stay here again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We booked this hotel online after reading the reviews and the location to the airport and Penn Station and comparing prices with those hotels in NYC. Our first impression when the taxi driver dropped us off was that we had been dropped at the wrong hotel in the wrong part of a derelict town surrounded by factories and workshops. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We were given our key and given our room number and went off to find it. The smell in the corridor was horrendous and really overpowering. The corridor was full of cleaning carts so I'm not sure if it was some sort of chemical but it stank! We opened the door to our room and were greeted with a spacious clean room with a large bathroom. We found on the bed a welcome notice and the first instruction was not to open the door to anyone and to use the deadlock! The second instruction was not to go into the car park in the dark without checking it first! As we were on the ground floor I spent half the night waiting for a maniac to break in!!
On a positive note the hotel shuttle was great and the breakfast was more than adequate. We were offered a late check out as our flight home to the UK was not until the evening but decided against this as there is absolutely nothing to do within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were happy with our staff service and you enjoyed our hot breakfast buffet. We would like to assure you that the safety information that is printed in the guest directory are standard text format found in all hotel directories and we have a Uniformed security Guard on site.We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area

168 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I arrived in town about two hours early and went to the front desk to see if they would allow us to check in early. I can say I have never experienced customer service like I did at this hotel. Since I was so early, the front desk agent couldn't determine which rooms that had check-outs for the days had already been cleaned. So, she pulled up a listing of ALL of the rooms in the hotel that were checking out that day and wrote them on a piece of paper. She had her other front desk agent personally go down the list and WALK to each one in order to find one that had been cleaned. I felt bad because I thought they were going out of their way to do this. They could have easily have said, "sorry, come back later!" But they didn't - they offered to do it, and had a smile on, too! After finding a room, she checked me in, thanked me for being a choice privileges member, walked in the back and handed me two granola bars as a thank you for coming by. When I got into the room, I was greeted with mints on the bed! Little things like this made me say WOW!
However, the actual rooms need some work. The hotel has some major age to it, and it shows. The room's carpet was old and worn and the AC unit used what looked like a thermostat on the wall circa 1980's. It didn't function and I had to manually adjust the actual unit even though there was a sticker on the unit saying "Use thermostat on wall". The room also had a fairly musty smell to it as did the hallways. The property is located in a not-so-great area of New Jersey and you definitely should keep your eyes out if walking back there late at night.
PRO TIP: This hotel is in walking distance of the Newark Broad Street station which you can take right into New York Penn Station for only $5! If you are looking for a place to stay where you can visit New York for the day and don't feel like driving or cabbing it into the city, that is a great option.
Overall, it wasn't bad, and the customer service was amazing. I would probably stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were happy with our service. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed on business a few weeks ago and enjoyed my stay. The desk staff were professional and helpful.

I had a billing issue from a mistaken reservation that resulted in a charge on my credit card for a missed stay. Once I discussed this with the General Manager, Ash, he kindly credited my credit card for the missed stay. Now that is great customer relations.

I will stay here for all of my visits to the Newark area

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Niagara Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had to attend a quick business meeting. I booked this hotel through 3rd party website. Buy I ended-up paying more, than the walk-in price for the hotel.
Everything was at its best. And on top, the bus service, although expensive, but very convenient, between Newark and NYC.

Readers, you will certainly like this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a basic hotel, our room was clean and spacious. The area around hotel not great, hardly anything around to walk too. We walked the 1.4 miles to Penn station to get into NYC on the Path train. That was fine but on the way back, it was late at night and the area is full of homeless men. We turned around and had to take a taxi to hotel which cost $15! Breakfast is decent, eggs, cereals, bagels/toast etc.... We slept in on the last day and missed breakfast, we asked if we could get a bagel for the kids and the lady working the area was extremely kind. She gave us whatever was left over and it was very good of her to do that!! I wish I had asked her name, as she went out of her way to help us. The front desk staff also very helpful. We figured out that driving our car to the Harrison Path stop was a much better idea. Street parking was easy around that station and free. We then hopped on the Path into the city. The Penn station area only had parking garages and were pricey.
While in Newark, don't forget to visit the Newark Museum which was $3 for adults and $1 kids. The kids enjoyed it very much! The Sacred Heart cathedral is also amazing to visit. It rivals any gothic European cathedral. Also, we loved the Ironbound area in Newark, great food, at great prices and it feels as you are in Portugal/Brazil. Great area! Of course, its only 30 min. on Path into nyc so we did all the sites there too! We spent 4 nights at this hotel and we will definitely come back and stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
comfortsuitesnewark, General Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were happy with our staff service and hot breakfast . We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area.
Auburn, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Concur with the last several reviewers in that the hotel is actually pretty decent and very convenient to PATH Trains into New York and to the Jersey Turnpike. The room was large and fairly nice. Wireless was far from robust, however. Front desk was helpful and had a quick check in. The hotel is not near any restaurants that most people would frequent or even a classic Jersey diner and the hotel kind of stuck out compared to the surrounding area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortsuitesnewark, Manager at Comfort Suites Newark, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay. It's great to hear you were happy with our staff servicer and we are happy to inform you that there are many restaurants in the vicinity and many who deliver to the hotel. Please ask the front desk agent for menus. We hope we are able to provide you with the same great accomodations the next time you are in the area

Been to Comfort Suites Newark? Share your experiences!