“Comfort Suites... Um... I think they should just close this place...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites Newark

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Ballarat, Australia
“Comfort Suites... Um... I think they should just close this place...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

15 minutes.... That's the TOTAL time we spent in this hotel..... 5 minutes checking in, 5 minutes in the room and 5 minutes recovering out the front waiting for a cab!!!
The time we were in the building is an indicator of what we thought of this hotel. Walking into the room we were struck with an overpowering stench, that had me almost vomiting by the time we left again. My daughter and I both agree that the smell of the streets of Bangkok city was better than this room.
I'd like to rate this hotel in the negative.... Can I have a -5?!?!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
West Harwich, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Although we prefer to stay in more luxurious hotels, this hotel provided a great option at a terrific price when we were going on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Port Liberty. We stayed one night before the cruise. The hotel provided free internet, free breakfast, free transportation to the ship (one-way) and free parking for the time that we were on the cruise. The hotel was clean and the staff was terrific. Although the hotel was not in the greatest neighborhood, the parking was secure (14 foot fence - totally enclosed).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed with my fiancé for 4 nights. The hotel was clean, the staff was nice and friendly, large rooms, excellent value. Breakfast was good and free with fruits, juice, yogurts, omelets, breads, waffles, etc. I've rented a car, but we left the car at the hotel and went by train to Manhattan. The hotel has a good and safe parking. It's just 10 min walking from Newark Broad St. And by train 20 minutes to New York Penn Station. Returning from NYC we've walked by neighborhood after midnight, the place was pretty empty, we're feelig nervous, but we've had no problem on our way back to the hotel. During the week the traffic is very bad, better to avoid leaving car at peak times. The hotel is near from Jersey's Gardens Mall, Walmart Kearny, Newark Liberty Airport. Definitely would return to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel was overall very clean but there was a weird candy-product-like smell in the corridors and room. Staff was very kind and welcoming. Breakfast was very good with great amount of options: variations of eggs every day, one side meat (bacon/sausages/ham), waffles, yogourt, bread, etc. Broad St. train station is only a 15 min walk away and leads you straight into NYC for $5. The neighborhood doesn't look safe at all at night even if it may be. Went on Broadway one night and came back pass midnight and we were feeling a bit nervous on our way back to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Blakeslee, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

i stayed with my family for one night , the carpet was filthy and room was smelling that they have to keep the door open until i checked inn , i asked for another room the woman on the desk said no, every thing was falling apart and dirty found somebody scissors on sofa bed, can't find any pen or pad or any guest information material. they charge $149.00 for the room which don't worth $49.00

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for business. My business partner had checked into the hotel earlier in the afternoon and I was arriving that night. Having years of experience in hospitality security I was quite shocked when I arrived at the front desk, gave the name of my colleague and was handed a key to the room. Never was my ID checked or was I asked for my name or the room number.

Room Tip: If you value safety and security do not stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I did not feel safe here...if you drive the road directly behind the hotel it is littered and graffiti everywhere. The whole area is not very safe looking. We stayed there before flying out in the morning but did not leave the hotel. The hotel itself is not very clean and has a musty smell to it. The carpets are filty in the hallways, elevator etc. The breakfast however was clean and good. Its about five or six miles to the airport. I'd say stay there with your eyes open.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites Newark? Share your experiences!