“Great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Newark Airport

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Newark Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   450 Rt. 1 & 9 South (near Haynes Ave.), Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 21 hotels in Newark
“Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Room/Bathroom was clean, beds were comfy, TV was great, and I really liked the renovation with the new modern furniture. Staff was friendly and helpful. They even delivered a microwave and fridge to us within 5 minutes of getting there. My only issues were: The water wasn't very warm, restaurant was expensive (considering it isn't a very classy hotel), and the TV remote doesn't connect well with the TV (I struggled to change Chanels,...) Overall, great place for the price!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

492 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My company arranged a stay of two nights here. I admit, I was not expecting anything nice. To my surprise, it was bright, modern and comfortable. Excellent staff at the desk. My room was about three rooms away from the elevator, but I did not hear it. In fact, I did not have any problems with noise - hotel or airport (and the tower was visible from my window). Good internet connection, good tv channel choices. I ate at the hotel restaurant both nights out of convenience. Wasn't crazy about what I chose the first night, so the second night asked for recommendations. It was a good meal. A problem with my bill was quickly rectified. I never had to wait more than a few minutes for the shuttle. Would definitely recommend and return, though I usually prefer the bigger, nicer hotels.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This property is a great airport hotel. The property has been upgraded, it is very appealing to the eye, the staff is very friendly, helpful and considerate. The rooms are phenomenal! The bedding is great, the TV's are top grade, the work area is excellent with plenty of outlets and space! Room service was prompt and well prepared and the restaurant staff was as good as one could ask.

Room Tip: The dining area is small but attractive and comfortable.
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

For an airport hotel, this one is very good. Rooms are modern and clean with excellent beds. Service is friendly. Easy transportation from and to Newark Airport. Free and fast WIFI. Adequate fitness center. Restaurant has decent vegetarian selection. This is the second time I stayed here when I found myself needing a lay over hotel in Newark.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was stuck in Newark due to a flight cancellation (weather). I chose the Holiday Inn because it was close to the airport and the fee of $150 made me think it would be cleaner than others in the area.

I woke around 4.30 with itching on my legs. I watched tv for half an hour before realizing that the itching was insects biting me under the sheets.

I have red marks up my legs and little water blisters where I am having an alergic reaction to the bites.

I reported the problem to the front desk who sent a security guard to inspect for bugs We did not find any but he confirmed that the bites were from bed bugs and that they were recent (some were still blistering, others were broken cause I was scratching them). When the security guard came down and told the front desk that I had fresh bug bites he was hushed and told if you didn't find any then it's not a confirmed bed bug incident.

When the manager arrived I was told that I could be making it up to defraud them of the room fee (already charged to my card) and they would have the room inspected within a month. If bed bugs were confirmed then they might reimburse my night's fee.

The security guard gave me advice (quietly on the side) on how to reduce the risk of infecting my family. Luckily he has experience with this issue and was sympathetic when the front desk manager was accustory.

I don't have good advice on a good hotel, but the Newark Holiday Inn would prefer to pretend it doesn't exist than to respect the health of their guests. I don't care about the cost of one night, it's the money and time I will now spend fumigating my belongings (and with luck not my house) to prevent their spread.

Please look elsewhere. This hotel has poor hygiene and no concern for their patrons.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
dhirsh, Manager at Holiday Inn Newark Airport, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I tried to reach you via phone the afternoon of your check out (2/27/13), unfortunately your voicemail was full. I wanted to assure you that at The Holiday Inn Newark Airport we take the global epidemic of bed bugs very seriously. We have a proactive plan in place ranging from training our Room Attendants what to look for as they clean rooms, to contracting with a pest control company to routinely check a portion of our rooms. We would never wait up to a month to have a room inspected when the possibility of bed bugs existed. A professional pest control expert inspected your room hours after you checked out. He found no evidence of bed bugs in the room. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having to travel to NYC often, I always stay at the Holiday in near the Newark Airport. I can be in the City by train in less than half an hour from the airport and the cost for the room is perhaps 1/4th what it would be in Manhattan. Can't beat it for convenience to the airport and convenience to the City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pike Road, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Even tho very close to the airport, this hotel was very quiet. The room was clean, sleek, and well equipped. We had an issue with our internet connection which was addressed by calling their technical service. The room was very clean, the view was interesting (there's not really a good view in Newark) and the staff was super. The hotel restaurant was only fair - the food was adequate but nothing special. There's nothing else to eat closeby and the roads and directions were confusing to us.

A noteworthy comment is the address to the hotel doesn't work on GPS, etc. You will need to call the hotel for the address by which to navigate.

Room Tip: 5th floor looking east was quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Newark Airport? Share your experiences!