“Nice Find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau of Spain

Chateau of Spain
11 Franklin St, Newark, NJ 07102 (Newark Central Business District)
(973) 624-3346
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chateau of Spain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 469 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dessert, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Newark Central Business District
Cross street: Broad St.
Transit: Broad Street City Hall
Description: Welcome to Chateau of Spain! One of the best Spanish restaurants in the area! Our chef specializes in mouth watering delights infused with a Spanish flare. Dine with us on our 2nd floor and experience our fine dining atmosphere or relax with us in our casual bistro. Whatever brings you to the area, Chateau Of Spain is a destination restaurant that is more than a great choice for a great meal. We are one of the few restaurants located near the Prudential Center in Newark NJ. If you’re going to see events include the Chateau of Spain.
Gillette, New Jersey
“Nice Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

A few of us went here before a concert at the pru center. I've been to a lot of restaurants in the iron bound, but chose this one because it was in walking distance of the venue. The menu is all over the place, from traditional spanish and portuguese food to wraps and buffalo wings. Being in Newark I wanted the traditional stuff and I was pleasantly suprised. For appetizers we had the crab stuffed scallops and spanish sausage, both were really good. For dinner I had the pork and clams and it was great. We all liked the white sangria which was sweet and a good amount. The service was a little slow but other than that we enjoyed ourselves. I would definetly recommend it for a pre-show dinner.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

florida
“Very good, worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Dined here on a Saturday in late June. Didn't have reservations, arrived around 6 p.m. or so. They were maybe 1/3 full, so we had our choice of tables.

Waitstaff brought menus right away & asked for drink orders. I asked for the winelist, which they brought out fairly quickly. There's probably a total of 30 wines or so, give or take. I opted for a glass of the house Cab Sauvignon. Very nice.

Menu is sweeping; I'm guessing they're trying to have something for everybody.... If it's "Chateau of Spain", do they really need Chicken Fingers or Buffalo Wings? Or Turkey or Veggie Burgers? My thoughts would be "no", but since the lunch crowd is probably quite varied, they try to cover all the bases.

So my friend and I decided to stick to more or less traditional Spanish fare. She ordered the regular paella (there's a second version that adds chicken & pork in addition to the seafood). I ordered the Picadinho - pork cubes marinated in wine 7 garlic, grilled and served over fried cubed potatoes.

I can say 2 things with great certainty: one, both were YUMMY! And two, both were HUGE portions! We both ate as much as we could, but still had leftovers for two more dinner-sized portions at home - each!!! (That's 4 meals at home, plus the 2 we ate at the restaurant) My only comment would be about mine, and that is some very tough chunks of pork slipped through...not sure how much time they devote to "trimming the fat" so to speak, but a little bit more would've made this dish truly heavenly. It wasn't bad - don't get me wrong - but I hate it when you have to hide little pieces of unchewable meat in your napkin.

So, despite being stuffed to the gills, we went ahead and shared a dessert. Chocolate caramel cake with walnuts, came with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream on the side & whipped cream. Dreamy. There were a number of other desserts - probably 10 in all - but we only (barely) had room for the 1 shared portion.

We left stuffed....and I mean stuffed. It's been a long time since I ate that much. Overall, we had the 2 main courses; I had 2 glasses of wine; (my friend only drank water, so no cost there) we shared a dessert; and I tipped 20% because the food was very very good & the waitstaff were pretty good at their job. Total overall was $90. (If I had drank something non-alcoholic it would've been about $15 to $17 less, give or take) And remember, for that money we ate 2 portions in restaurant with enough for 4 more portions at home.

Oh, one other downside that somebody else further down mentioned...the music from the attached & not separated really at all bar. It was rap, which unless you're in some sort of trendy kind of place, doesn't really fit. Once again, this is a very downtown location in Newark, so I suppose they do their best to accommodate whatever the clientele is. But some other music - or a real wall between bar & dining area - would probably not be terrible.

Overall: I'll go back and it is recommended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rutherford, nj
“Excellent lunch specials and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I recently had a chance to have a lunch special in the upstairs section of the restaurant which is very nice. Tables are well spaced with tablecloths and nice linen. I had the shrimp soup and pork chops in garlic sauce. It came with yellow, Spanish rice and freshly made potato chips. There were two, thick, juicy pork chops - way more that I could eat. The soup was light and excellent. My wife had the oxtail stew from the lunch specials - the oxtail was plentiful and very tender. The Macchiato was very good too.

Would love to go there for lunch or dinner again. The location is right next to City Hall - a very safe area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newark, New Jersey
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a groupon to try this restaurant what could I lose. Well to my surprise it was great. We were upstairs with a windo seat nice an cozy. The portions were so large, my husband ordered the paella which he had to take home for lunch the next day and dinner at night. The veal I had was very tender. I would recommend having the sangria which was made perfect. There was a family gathering of bout 20 which didn't interfer with service or intimacy at all.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NEW JERSEY
“Walking distance to Prud Center!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Good food (love stuffed sole and lobster bisque), prompted service for pre-concert or sport event dinner.

Visited July 2012