“horrible - more like a hooker place to stay” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Hotel Riviera
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Darmstadt
“horrible - more like a hooker place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked the room on priceline.com - had a great picture and decent price. Once I got there (with my 2 month old) i was terrified. Horrible neigborhood, unfriendly staff - bed very old and uncomfortable, but bathroom and floors clean

Room Tip: Book your room offsite the street. Rooms towards the street are very loud
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Mouse running across room, asked to move room, got no apology when reported and staff didnt seem to even care. When we moved rooms they seemed like it was an inconvenience to leave their private conversations.

Additionally the area is less than desirable, I basically stayed in the room the entire time as I was too scared to even go get water. When we were dropped off the taxi driver was reluctant to leave us there.. now we totally understand why.

It also has an uncanny resemblance to the hotel from the shining.

Room Tip: Rooms on the eight floor have fluffy rodents if you want a pet for your stay.
Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The neighbourhood is really scary, the place looked like the hotel from the shinning and the guy from the front desk had a look of Jack Nicholson...Coincidence? The room was of satisfactory standard but nothing good for the money you pay...However, there was something crawling across the floor which we thought was a lizard but when I put my light on my phone under the bed there was a mouse. My friend went to tell the guy at reception...no apology or refund offered or anything complementary just a change of room which we could not even get comfortable due to the prior rodent situation. Don't stay here If you want to get the plague because that's what mice carry or if you want to an axe through your door with a guy screaming heresssss Johnny!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We booked the hotel online and when we got there it was terrible. The staff was friendly but the hotel looked like it was haunted. The floors in the room were dirty and the beds were really hard. Also, people with low income live there and to be honest the place gave us all the creeps. We were outside like for one minute and already a random stranger told us 'You better take care'. It's not a good location and definitely not a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay there and have no other option then stay in the rooms on the second floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Went to this Hotel as all other airport hotels were full or without power after hurricane sandy. Wasn't expecting much but have stayed in plenty of hostels so have no problem with basic accommodation.

Turning up it looked rundown, staff friendly but tried to overcharge. We got a two double bed room, beds were uncomfortable and found little black curly hair on pillow as we got in.

Bathroom was clean but so run down that no amount of soap could make it clean.

The area around the hotel was very intimidating, got hassled for money for drugs on our walk to the only nearby eatery McDonald's. As 3 women we felt very intimidated.

At night the hotel became freezing and we probably had about 3 hours sleep what with this and the noise from the other 'guests' who seem to live there permanently.

I like other reviewers found a cockroach on our bed and have put a picture up!

Essentially DON'T go here unless the option is sleeping on the street. The airport is a safer,cleaner option.

• Stayed October 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My sis and I booked a room on booking.com. the staff was ok. the place look more like psych ward. their was roaches in our room. I when to the front desk and complain about the roaches. the staff look at me like I was crazy. as I go back to my room this heavy set man enter the elevator with a big pot of food and loft of bread. I was shock to see this. my sister and I left the next day with out bathing because the bathroom is disgusting.

Is cheap but if you want to have a good time out of country or town. this place is not recommended, FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

• Stayed August 2012
NEW JERSEY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We had concert tickets for the Prudential Center in Newark and was planing to drive South early next morning. I booked this hotel on BOOKING.COM because of a very low price for Saturday stay knowing that Newark is not a best area in NJ. All we needed was THE ROOF AND CLEAN BED and we got it ..Locked parking, solid old building, very attentive stuff, 24h security (which is a must in this area), big nice room, comfy bed, clean linen, fridge with bottled water, AC (very important in +100 outside), good water pressure, soap,shampoo, even candies! Unfortunately no option for breakfast and no hair blower! We did ask for no more for this price and left totally safe and happy next morning. Regarding comments from some previous reviews. They offer us two rooms to choose from: one was the two rooms suit for couple $$$ more (room with bed + sitting room w/couch, which just two of us didn't need), another one that we choose. Both was absolutely in satisfactory condition. Yes, it's old hotel but they doing their best considering a cleanliness, service and security and very passionate in their effort. We are experienced travelers and I just can say that for double, even triple amount of money you will not find similar hotel in New York, London or Zurich with a private Bath and good bed. My advice: have a realistic expectation and If you are looking for some nice furniture and fancy stuff - book elsewhere and pay much much more money (recently I been trying to book hotel in NY for my friends from Germany and finally gave up: over $120 for shared bath and rats in a hallway according to reviews).
TIPS:1. Don't expect to take a evening walk, area is to shady at dark. 2.If you are going to spend your time in Manhattan: it's possible (couple of bus stops from hotel to train station and TAXI from train back to hotel at evening $7-8). 3.Best choice for NEWARK AIRPORT for sleepover or just for rest and shower between flights,$12-15 taxi ride. 4. No eateries nearby, only MACDONALD, but plenty of nice Portugal and Spanish restaurants 5 min taxi drive. And plenty of flyers for delivery. 5. They advertise WI-FI, we didn't use it, just saw person on computer in the lobby

Room Tip: 1.Ask for "suit" for more then 2 person. 2.Ask for more quiet room not facing busy street
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Newark Central Business District
BEST WESTERN PLUS Robert Treat Hotel
Comfort Suites Newark
#11 of 16 in Newark
3.5 of 5 stars 232 reviews
Newark Central Business District
Courtyard Newark Downtown

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!