“Excellent! Great choice! Great Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport

You added Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Wildwood, New Jersey
“Excellent! Great choice! Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

The only complaint I have if the parking fee. Check in process was quick, the staff was friendly & the food at the cafe was very good. I've stayed here many times before. The rooms have been nicely updated with new furniture. Like I said my only complaint is the fee for parking. If I'm paying to stay, I shouldn't have to pay $15 per night to park.

• Stayed January 2014
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello StillItching2013,

Thank you for your time to write a review in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest since we enjoyed your company and time here at the hotel.

The cleanliness of our rooms, our hotel staff, and the shuttle service to the airport are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for no other than valuable guests like you.

I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay. Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel , even with our team, but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation and resolve the existing problems. We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much and we hope you give us a second chance at providing an even better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel has a slightly shabby, very dated feel. While the room was clean, the air of shabbiness in the hallways/lobby and particularly the restaurant contributed to my overall dissatisfaction.

The room was a reasonable size, and the fact that it had a fridge and microwave was a nice touch (though I did not use them). Like someone else mentioned, my alarm clock was broken-----a real problem since I needed to get up at 4:00 a.m. Similarly, the hvac was very noisy and I think I woke up 20 times during the night every time it came on. Unlike some other reviewers, I found the front desk staff efficient and friendly. I did not like the restaurant food (sandwiches and such). Please note that there is no alcohol served.

The biggest reason I am giving this hotel 2 stars instead of 3 is the fact that the drapes do not close! I was on the 2nd floor overlooking a dark car-park, and was totally creeped-out by the thought that someone outside could watch my every move. Furthermore, at airport hotels I like blackout curtains as sometimes one is trying to sleep at odd hours after a long flight. But regardless of the sleep-issue, the real problem for a woman traveling alone is the non-closing curtains.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hello cessnapilot,

Hello and thank you for taking your time to write a review based on your most recent experience at our hotel. I apologize very much for the mistakes we have made which made your stay unpleasant and distasteful. We are providing the best service daily and hope to get positive responses along the way.

You have mentioned that our HVAC system was malfunctioning and kept you up the entire night but I apologize very much since I understand how important sleeping can benefit the health on many levels. This is in-excuseable and I have notified my staff on maintenance check up on all of our equipment to make sure they are fully functional for all our guests. The system is perfectly fixed after we sorted out the problem by targeting it immediately Nonetheless, I sincerely apologize for all the mistakes made.

You also mentioned that the curtains did not shut properly as you wanted but I want to bring this to your attention as well since we have little control over this part of the room. Our brand standards suggest that it is necessary to use the curtains we have placed and not be able to make changes to them. However, I have brought your case to management and we hope to have a solution for it soon.

Thank you for taking your time to write a review based on your most recent stay and we hope to see you again soon after forgiving us for the mistakes made. Everybody deserves a second chance in improving themselves for the future.
mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed one night to catch an early morning flight . Was really pathetic with very dated rooms, iffy fellow residents and overall depressing aura. It was very inexpensive-thats the only thign you could say- I guess if you pay peanuts you cannot ask for more..but I wont visit ever again..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello mumbaimagic,

Hello and thank you for taking your time to write a review based on your most recent experience at our hotel. I apologize very much for the mistake we have made which made your stay unpleasant and distasteful. We are providing the best service daily and hope to get positive responses along the way.

You have mentioned that the hotel is slightly dated however I want to bring to your attention that we are in the process of initiating a plan for renovations and an overall facelift to the hotel for our guests. Please, excuse us this time as we improve the hotel for you by your next stay with us.

My entire team is apologetic and hopes to make it up to you by your next stay with us by providing the best service, hospitality, and a facial uplift to the hotel. This not only applies to you but to all other guests as well who have stayed here in the past and will stay with us soon. Thank you again for your time to write a review on you most recent stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Newark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I work in Newark NJ and we had a terrible snow storm, but since i live in PA I decided to stay local and not get stuck on my commute home. I found the hotel though one of those website. The hotel is average on a day like that I was just happy to be able to lay down peacefully and safe. The hotel looks dated, room was clean but smelled, parking was $15.00 and the Cafe food service was slow and the Hot Food was Ice Cold. Only in an emergency would I stay here again

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello Ivan A,

The guestrooms, our hotel staff, and the shuttle service are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for no other than valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay.

Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel , even with our team, but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation and resolve the existing problems, especially in the most severe of weather conditions. We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much.
Montevideo, Uruguay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Terrible hotel, dirty, unfriendly dedk service during day hours (not so at night). Shower leaked all night long, noisy air conditioning, awful food and service in the dirty restaurant they have. Just go somewhere else!

Hello Marcosuru,

You have mentioned that the hotel's staff members were unapologetically unpleasant. I must assure you that I have recently spoke to them to correct their behavior and professionalism when they attend valuable guests like you. On the other hand the restaurant is managed separately from the ownership of the hotel in service and quality of food provided. It is embarrassing to hear such complaints and we hope to serve you better on your next stay with us.

My entire team is apologetic and hopes to make it up to you by your next stay with us by providing the best service and hospitality. This not only applies to you but to all other guests as well. Thank you again for your time to write a review on you most recent stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Wroclaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

In general the hotel
looks to be a nice place to stay as the rooms are comfortable, bathroom is clean. Everything you need is waiting for you in your room (even liquid for cleaning your teeth!). However it looks like they seek additional incomes by any fees or fares which affect the hotel's prestige in fact.

The weak point is the shuttle's punctuality. It hardly leaves the hotel at the agreed hour and goes to terminals first not to the P4 point. It's ok when you need to get a flight but definitely not ok when you plan to catch another bus connection (late on leave+trip among terminals, so better avoid being short of time unless you want to miss your connection).
The very strange thing is the payment policy which puts a very dark and negative light on the hotel's image. They charged me for "no show" ("no show" due to weather conditions in NY with the flights canceled) which is fully ok for me, although:
- the full amount for the full staying (not for only one night no show) was blocked at my current account
- the reservation was canceled despite the earlier email confirmation from my side
- when I managed to renew the reservation, they blocked me again the full amount (! second time!)
- when I arrive after one day and I paid while the check-in the full amount for the whole staying was blocked third time (!!; another card)
As the result as of today I have c.a. 650 usd blocked instead of c.a.250 usd and I'm full of hope to have it unblocked soon.
Moreover, when the reservation was renewed, I lost the initial promo price and I had to pay extra c.a 50usd.
So, please be careful when do any payments at Howard Johnson Newark.
The rest looks really fine and ok.

• Stayed January 2014
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Hello emel2x ,

The public transportation to the airport, and our hotel staff, are the major factors of the hotel and our hospitality that we are continuously improving daily for no other than valuable guests like you. I want to thank you for your time in writing a review behalf your recent stay. Thank you.

The additional charges towards your credit card was done in part of our hotel's policies and every transaction was in honesty and faithfulness. The no show policies go into effect only if the guest was not able to call ahead of time and cancel their room due to a reasonable cause such as harsh weather conditions. Nonetheless, I apologize for all the mistakes and hassle we have put you into and we promise not to repeat this mistake again.

Many times it is difficult to understand our hotel , even with our team, but when important and respectful guests like you, write a review we are able to better understand our situation and resolve the existing problems, such as the towel situation. We hope to see you again soon at our hotel as we appreciate your comments very much.
Trenton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Toiled did not flush and ran all night long. Very courteous reception desk, but tired of the "workout room", which is always broken. it is bad enough that there is only a UNIVERSAL in there, but if it was functional, at least a semi-decent workout can be achieved. In the several years that I have been going to the Howard Johnsons, when the Marriott was overly priced that particular day, the universal has ALWAYS...ALWAYS, been broken.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Hello Eric M,

You have mentioned that our fitness center was up to par with your expectations but I want to clarify that all equipment is up and running and ready for use. This mistake will not repeat itself again.

Thank you for taking your time to write a review based on your most recent stay and we hope to see you again soon after forgiving us for the mistakes made. Everybody deserves a second chance.

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport? Share your experiences!