“A Pleasant Short Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel Newark

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Hotel Newark to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel Newark
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #15 of 21 hotels in Newark
Portland, OR
“A Pleasant Short Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We just needed a place to sleep for the night, and the price was right. The hotel was comfortable and service was friendly. Food in the restaurant was inexpensive and decent. I broke my one and only shaver before it was ever used, and needed one for the upcoming week on my cruise. I called the front desk, and they happily provided 2 razors plus shaving cream for free. The only disadvantage was the location. Not close to anything but the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Newark, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear cruise79,

I want to thank you very much for taking your time to write this valuable response for us as we do our best to improve our service everyday. It is in our blood that we provide the most for our guests and primarily to our guests.

along with the extra razor blades for shaving we provide many other amenities for free for our guests such as extra toothbrush, toothpastes, and combs. We understand that personal hygiene is important to everyone's health and must be addressed before all else.

Thank you very much for your concerns and positive remarks as we do our best to improve our hotel to the max for guests like you. We hope to see you soon.

Neal Gandhi(GM)

593 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lawrence, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is all worn out, it is not as pictured everything is old, the carpet smells the wall are stained, the TV is not LCD as shown, the picture was all red couldn't even watch it, there is a $15 parking surcharge per night, it's very filthy. I do not recommend this place to anyone, there are better hotels and motels stay away from this one.

Room Tip: there is not good rooms in this hotels
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ivan B,

Hello I want to apologize for all the inconvenience our service has done to you and we will do our best on improving them.

The carpets, the television, and the parking charge is something we are going to change very soon and it is our fault that we have not been able to change them before. We have recently shampooed our carpets in both the lobby and in the rooms which should be better than before. The televisions in all the rooms are in the process of change and the addition of flat screens are in the process as we take it room by room so by your next stay these issues will not repeat themselves.

As far as the parking charge is concerned, I must say that we are the lowest charging hotel in the Newark area compared to the other hotels such as the Ramada Inn, and the Comfort Suites. Nonetheless, we are in the process of reducing the fees to better accommodate our guests and relieve stress off their shoulders.

Ivan B, I want to thank you very much again for writing such response as we are able to better understand our guest's needs. We hope to see you again at our hotel.

Neal Gandhi (GM)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I, too, was not super impressed with this hotel. It seemed really out of the way (I was on the shuttle, so fortunately I did not experience the highway confusion).

The hotel was fine - I was in for just one night due to an early departure the next morning. I ended up spending more time at the hotel than I'd initially planned due to rain squashing my NYC touring plans. The room was comfortable enough. The Wi-fi worked. I had hot water, and I slept well in the bed.

I would advise against room service from the restaurant, though. You'd be better off with pizza delivery.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Newark, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear April7901,

Hello April7901 I thank you for taking your time to write a valuable review for us about your stay at our hotel as we can better understand the service from a guest's point of view and we will be able to better assist you in servicing you on your next stay.

The roads leading into the hotel are many times confusing for other but you have managed to work your way around it and were able to arrive safely which only a few are able to do however we continue to help them over the phone. I was also pleased that you were able to have a good night's sleep even after the fact that mother nature decided to rain over your plans for the city. Please excuse us on this as we have little control over it and sincere apologies from us.

I thank you again for taking your time to write the review for us and was an honor to have you as a guest. Hope to see you again soon. Thank you. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Neal Gandhi (GM)

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Newark? Share your experiences!