“ok price, but sketchy surroundings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport

You added Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Newark
Easthampton
“ok price, but sketchy surroundings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

When driving up I was not pleased at all with the location, but I figured you get what you pay for. The staff was friendly enough. The room looked clean but sheets were stained and the air smelled funny and damp. Lastly when I got my final bill it was for more than I expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Sandra B,

Hello I would like to apologize for any inconvenience our Howard Johnson team has been to you. I would like to say that the dampness in the air and the stained sheets have been taken care of and should not be of concern upon your next stay with us. We try to improve every part of our service every day and hope to hear the best from our guests, like you, of course. Thank you for your concerns. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Neal Gandhi (GM)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lexington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here one night when my flight was delayed. The reception area looks tired and the common areas need a thorough cleaning. The best thing about this hotel is its proximity to the airport - it was easy to get to and from there on the hotel shuttle. The worst thing about the hotel it its proximity to the airport, you can here the planes landing etc. You also pay for the proximity.
My room was clean and had TV, fridge, microwave etc. However, the toilet had a constant drip and the bathroom door did not shut properly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lex175,

Hello, I would like to address your concerns as regards to your recent stay. I would like to apologize on the fact that we are in the process of trying to remove the exterior noise from the airport and planes to the best of our ability by putting some sound proofing in the walls and the roofs, as discussed with our engineer. The rooms however which is something we can fix very soon in terms of the loose bathroom door and the toilet drainage, and we have resolved it recently. Guaranteed by your next stay we will be able to provide you with a quite and relaxing room as all the issues will be mended. Otherwise, thank you very much for the review as we are able to understand what to do next. Go Happy Go Hojo !

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

we arrived late at the airport e waited a lot for the shuttle bus to pick us up. rude driver, squeezed more people than the bus could carry, I traveled with my luggages on the legs.
Once we get there the hotel had smoke smell and the people at the reception couldn't help us with food delivery, that was awful anyway! The room was dirty and I could hear other people talking in the corridor and in neighboring rooms. One word: Terrifying!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Neal G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Russo_Allie,

Hello, I would like to apologize very much for the issues you have to face because situations like this do not occur everyday and it might have been a day where you might have hit a "rush hour moment" where a throng of people from the airport have rushed in. On the other hand the front desk is something that is our fault and their dissatisfying cooperation with you is completely irresponsible and rude and is not allowed by my standards. I have spoke to them about your situation and they will be sure to correct themselves by your next stay as this situation will not repeat. Once again thank you for your concerns. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Neal Gandhi (GM)

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport? Share your experiences!