“The curtains didn't close (curtain rail didn't go all the...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport

You added Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Newark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here on our way to catch a cruise ship and had a couple of surprises on arrival. We had noticed a cheaper rate than the one we had reserved at was advertised on the roof. When we asked about it we were told you had to reserve 6 months in advance to get that rate! Also there is a fee for parking there. We found the restaurant service slow and they were understaffed.

Room Tip: Reserve well in advance to get a better rate!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Neal G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Greg-Roz,

My name is Neal Gandhi the manager of the Howard Johnson's here in Newark Airport. I agree that you found the fee at the parking lot to be present and more on the high side however would like to inform you that all other properties near the Newark Airport are holding a fee for it. It is required by the city and township of Newark, NJ and if it was up to us we would remove it but by legal terms we do not hold that power. The other issue is about the rates and how there was a sign outside for our lower rate, it is true that reservation is required to acquire that rate months ahead, and that it is for a more exteneded stay for two weeks or so. This was our mistake that we did not clarify this to all our guests and you were puzzled about it. On the other hand I would like to thank you for the four-five star rating in cleanliness, sleep quality, location value, rooms, and etc.

On your next stay with us you can mention about the advertised rate outside and we will be able to check our records for your most recent stay and accomodate you accordingly, as mentioned before, but please keep in mind that your record of your stay remains with us for no more than one to two months. Other than that thank you very much on the very positive reviews. Hope to see you soon. Go Happy Go Hojo !

Neal Gandhi (Manager)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I arrived it looked like a parking garage or that the place was packed, so not the case. They charged a $15 parking fee even though I wasn't aware of this charge. Room was suppose to be non-smoking but reaped of cigarettes. Room changed but not without hesitation. Went to the little diner that was suppose to be open till midnight but after we paid was told that the cook refused to make our meal. The new room had an slight odor that I had to spray my perfume in order to mask the other smell. Beds are very, very uncomfortable and sleep will be horrible. I will never stay here or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013
Reston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

It was the worse experience in my life. Employees were very rude and disrespecful. Rooms where dirty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal G, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Shirley A,

I would like to thank you on providing your input for the hotel and the negative aspects for it as we are continuously improving the service for you. I understand that you had a situation where the front desk did not honor your arrival with respect which is completely against our corporate culture. If you are able to provide the name of the employee, I will be better able to alert and train this particular employee better. Since it is our job to put our guests forward and make them feel at home. I also understand that your room was very unpleasant and unclean but please forgive us since we are having small issues with our housekeeping department and will correct the problem by your next stay with us. Once again, I will keep in mind these certain issues you have taken your time to mention Ms. Shirley A and will garentee that your next stay with us will be the best you have ever had.

Neal (Howard Johnson Newark Airport Manager)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We had no real problems with this place as an overnight stay before our connecting flight. The room was clean although a bit 'musky' smelling, the staff were average and the wifi was reasonably quick. The tv was bigger than expected.

The free shuttle to Newark airport is convenient and leaves every 30mins 24hrs a day. Some others have complained about cleanliness although we had no issues.

Would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello my name is Neal Gandhi from the Howard Johnsons Newark International Airport here in Newark NJ. I have recently reviewed your comments regarding your stay and I have congradualted the Howard Johnson Newark Airport Team about their success and explained them what one excellent happy review can do wonders for the hotel's reputation. However, a concern was mentioned about how the room had a musty and murky smell to it, which we do not tolerate at all from our housekeeping and we will make sure your next stay with us will be on a higher level than the previous. Our efforts to perfect our guest's stay is primary on our "to-do list" and is an on-going effort. Once again I thank you very much for your generous concern you have shownby giving such eye pleaseing comments. We hope to see you in the near future again.

Neal Gandhi (Howard Johnson Hotel Newark Airport NJ)
Neptune, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Howard Johnsons on Frontage Road this past weekend for one night. I was at a conference. I have nothing good to say. The room was dirty and the kicker was the roaches on the wall. The bathroom door had dried up tooth paste on it. I guess it was toothe paste. Whe I tried to get another room, I was told there were none available and someone would come down. They sent a lady that could not speak english with a can of spray.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello,
My name is Neal Gandhi, manager of Howard Johnson at Newark Airport, and I would like to deeply apologize for your inconvinience during your stay with us. I understand, according to your comments, that the cleanliness of the room was the primary concern, however we are continuing to improve the service the best we can by your next stay with us. You might ask "How in the world we will do this?" but please do not be alarmed because our efforts to make the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall cleanliness of the property better are in full force each day. We will take an action plan to first alert our housekeeping and full explain to them that toothpaste on the door is nothing pleasant for the other guests as well as arriving to a room with a spray can will not help unless proper cleaning techniques are used when they were trained. Please take this as an apology from us and we will make sure this incident will NEVER EVER occur during your next stay with us. Thank You.

Thanks,
Neal Gandhi (Howard Johnson Newark Airport Manager)

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport? Share your experiences!