“not so howard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport

You added Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114 (Newark Airport and Port Newark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Newark
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“not so howard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

the hotel isn't bad but has almost no amenities at all. the off-lobby restaurant is okay but over-priced. One internet access computer just off the lobby desk. In terrible total industrial area; nothing to see, nothing to do, nowhere to go.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Missing our flight connection, this was our only choice. The only available room was the 4 person suite for 450$+. This turned out to be a smelly, dilapidated room. At least it's close to the airport, and the shuttle (complete with surly driver) was fairly regular.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Well I must admit none of the questions I asked and they were only two were able to be answered. Question #1 do you have any means of getting us to New York although I saw many people going and being picked up by a shuttle I had to ask other guests of the Hotel because no one at the front desk was able to help me. Then I asked if i could book a tour of New York from their Hotel and if there was pick up nobody knew. Well besides the Hotel breakfast being served to us very cold and nobody being in the gift shop if you wanted something you had to go to the front desk and 20 minutes later they would send someone to the gift shop and open it only for you. Not helpful at all and when I requested an additional cot it took them 3 hours to bring it to me when I told them from arrival that I would be needing a cot then at 9p.m. I asked them for the cot and it took until after midnight for them to bring me a cot that's technically the next day. Forget the fact that we were exhausted waiting for it. Then to be awaken the next a.m. at 6:30 pounding on the door asking if we wanted service clean towels anything not organized at all.

Room Tip: Ask for the bed you want tell them in advance what you require 1 king or two doubles
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
UAE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I never really looked at the reviews of the hotel but decided to go with it because of the price and the free shuttle from the airport
It turned out that there were no restaurants or any other form of entertainment anywhere near this hotel
As mentioned by other travellers the hotel has blunt staff ,is in a very bad location,is very far from NYC and is poorly kept
I would not recommend staying in this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Delta, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

The rooms are absolutely disgusting. Our group observed: stains on the walls (reddish in one room and yellow in another), nail clippings on floor, doors and windows did not lock, horrible smells, bathtub did not drain and the toilet tank lid was split in half (huge crack).

After watching the staff copy our driver's licenses and credit cards, they refused to allow us to see our invoices. This to me seems like a shady practice. After one night of this hellish place, we decided that we could not spend another and checked out. We were told that despite checking out and not staying the second night that we would not receive a refund.

After leaving I decided to pull up TripAdvisor to see how others found the hotel. Not to my surprise, many had the same experience. Quite a few encountered bed bugs.

When I returned home, I called my bank to cancel my credit card to prevent any fraudulent charges.

Take my word for it, DO NOT stay here!

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying here. This place should be condemned.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Victoria BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I booked this place online and got a room with two beds for about $45 a night. I don't know how someone could call that overpriced. It's not a destination, it's a stopover to or from the airport, and for that purpose it's just fine. There's a free airport shuttle, and for $15 one-way, you can catch another shuttle to or from Manhattan. There's a middling restaurant on-site that mostly serves pizza, if I remember correctly. Our room was clean, and for that matter nicer than our $200/night hotel room in Manhattan. Noisy with planes flying overhead, of course, 'cause IT'S NEAR THE AIRPORT! Take earplugs if need be, but when you have to catch a flight at 6am, that 8-minute free shuttle ride is mighty fine.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Alamosa Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel was picked because of its convenience to New York. It was pricey and very out dated. Overall, the staff was rude and the place was run down. Very decieving from the internet picture.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel - Newark Airport? Share your experiences!