“Great Place for Sangria” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mompou

Mompou
77 Ferry Street, Newark, NJ 07105 (North Ironbound)
+1 973-578-8114
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mompou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 455 restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Prospect St.
Transit: We are located two blocks from Newark Penn Station.
Newark, New Jersey, United States
“Great Place for Sangria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Mompou's has the best white sangria in town. I love the tapas menu for lunch as it is just the right portion and not too expensive. Although Mompou's is a Spanish restaurant, the menu has many alternatives to the typical Portuguese /Spanish dishes that dominate the Ironbound. The restaurant is cozy but not too cramped and adequate for the crowd; however, patio is my favorite during the summer. I do think that the dessert menu could have a better selection; it's missing a good chocolate dessert.

Visited January 2013

86% Recommend
Holmdel, New Jersey
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Nice décor, good service, and delicious tapas! I went there with my daughter and we loved it! They have a patio in the back with heating lamp posts that resembles the ones we see in Europe (especially in Italy). We will go back!

Visited November 2012
“Great small plates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Was again here last night. The Octopus and Hanger steak are delectable! I only wish the price of the steak was a bit less for the size you get. Great service as well! I love eating here.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mount Vernon, WA
“Pleasant surprise in Newark”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We were in Newark for only one night to catch an early flight and were so happy to find such a nice place so close our hotel. The service was excellent, the place was surprisingly cool and funky inside and I really liked the food choices. I really liked the chickpea salad and the tres leches cake and coconut creme brûlée were lovely. I really liked both the red and white sangria. I would definitely go back if I didn't live 2,000 miles away.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
new jersey
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Horrible. No other word expresses how I felt about this restaurant. We walked into the restaurant and the hostess was nowhere to be found. Then a server came by and seated us. After a few minutes our waiter came with menus. So we decided on a few tapas that we wanted and then the waiter came by and told us 3 items were no longer available. Really!!! On a Saturday night at 8 o’clock you run out of food. So 2 out of those items were what we were going to order. So we ordered Sangria (large) but when we got the carafe it looked like it was a small. Oh well. So we ordered the shrimp skewers, potatoes bravos and tostones. The shrimp were really bad, no flavor and the sauce that come with it also had no flavor. The potatoes were okay, a little spicy. I am not a big fan of tostones and they were okay. So then we decided to get 2 more items, the cod fritters and the yuca. The cod fritters were not good at all and the yuca were okay. The waiter came by only once to ask how we were doing. When it came to pay we had a restaurant.com coupon, so we gave it to the wait staff. When the bill came, the coupon was taken off but he gave himself a 20% tip. On the coupon it states that gratuity will be include but did not give an amount. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Been to Mompou? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mompou, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.