“Nice tapas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mompou

Mompou
77 Ferry Street, Newark, NJ 07105 (North Ironbound)
+1 973-578-8114
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mompou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 455 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Ironbound
Cross street: Prospect St.
Transit: We are located two blocks from Newark Penn Station.
Mendham, NJ
“Nice tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We enjoyed the tapas here- a short list, but good. We had the codfish croquets ($9.00- 3 croquettes), which were very well done, served with a caper aioli on the side. We also had a plate of traditional Spanish cured meats, Spanish cheeses and fruit ($20), a generous enough serving for 3 to share and be sated.

The service was friendly. The place is frequented by hip young people, and was very upbeat.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Northampton, MA
“Pretty good food, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I love Iberian cuisine and I thought that the tapas here didn't miss. The octopus is great and so is the chorizo. They have an extensive wine list and they even have half price bottle nights.

The style and ambiance of this place is cool. It is located on Newark's most happening street (only a stone's throw from the Prudential Center) and it has a dimly lit, cool vibe to it.

The waitstaff is where this place missed for me. I ordered a beer when we first got to our table, upon finishing it, the waitress never asked if I wanted another one, glass of water, wine, nothing. The place was not that busy, so clearly she just ignored us. Even after we had eaten dessert (and she cleared all of the dishes off the table), we waited 20 minutes for the check.

Might be an uncommon experience there, but probably enough to keep me from going back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Branford, Connecticut
“Consistently above average over several visits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Lunched here on 4 or 5 occasions over the last 8 months, the most recent visit was Friday 8/24. I really like the unpretentious nature of the restaurant and staff and the food is simple but very good. I have tried all of the tapas with the exception of the bacalao and particularity like buttlerfly shrimp which is a pinxtos dish from the Basque region. The chicken skewers was the weakest dish this time, a bit dry though the flavoring was good. The calamari was spicy as was the chorizo and the patatas bravas were particularly good this time. The by-the-glass wine list has a bone dry Albarino, a nice rosadao and a very good Crianza Tempranillo from Rioja all under $10 a glass. I shall keep coming back.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“I really wanted to like this place...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We were looking forward to quick, light tapas before a concert at the Pru Center. It took almost 15 min to get seated w a reservation, even though it was not that busy. The hostess couldn't figure out their PC's reservation software. I had a chickpea and corn salad, both which seemed to be canned. It was over arugala and had cilantro in it - which are strong competing flavors - and was slathered in yucky, sweet bottled dressing, and had two fried plantains which would have been good if they had salted them. My seafood salad special, which was $15, was puny, had 1/2 scallop, 2 shrimp, the rest frozen calamari rings, and it was overcooked and flavorless. They had happy hour specials on domestic beer, but the waitress (who brought our bread after our food finally came) could not explain why my Blue Moon (brewed in Colorado by Coors, I believe?) was not included. The service was overall slow, and stressful, since we were trying to get to our concert. I can't remember what my BF got, but he said it was "OK" which means it was insignificant.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Tapas From The Frozen Food Section of Your Grocer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I recently visited the restaurant with my wife and friends before a NJ Devils playoff hockey game. The restaurant is within easy walking distance of the Prudential Center.

The tapas food was disappointing. It seemed like it was prepared days or weeks before, frozen and then reheated. The chicken meat balls were under spiced, overcooked and dried out. The crab stuffed peppers were bland and the peppers were soft and squishy with no taste. The octopus dish had the seafood chopped so fine I had trouble identifying it from the onions and other herb and vegetables. The shrimp were small, overcooked and tasted like they came from the freezer.

I should have known something was up when there were no "special of the day" tapas offerings, only the everyday menu items. This restaurant could do a lot better by offering some freshly prepared and simple tapas using higher quality ingredients.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Been to Mompou? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mompou, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.