“Good food, okay service” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Blue Mill Road
new jersey
“Good food, okay service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I've been here several times and have never been disappointed by the food. However, the service is slow and it's a bit pricey. If those two things don't bother you, definitely go for it. Their veggie burger is my favorite!

Visited January 2014

Morristown, New Jersey
“a good find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have been here twice in the last week and both times the food was carefully prepared, very tasty and served quickly and cheerfully. They pay attention to details from presentation, refilling your coffee mug without having had to ask, to the charming decor.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“terrible meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went for breakfast w family. Nice atmosphere but highly disappointed with the food. Hard to believe you could screw up scrambled eggs but they were both watery and overcooked (and inedible). My husband's overpriced eggs benedict were practically hard boiled. Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of our meal was when I complained about our dissatisfaction to the waitress, her only response was "ok". Would not go back there again.

Visited January 2014
Morristown, New Jersey
“I REALLY want to love this place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I am inclined to agree with the majority. This place is beautiful inside! I stopped a few times this summer/fall when I was in the area for work. The food is good and I like places that are a little out of the norm with their menu selections and who use organic/veggie based ingredients. I am a vegetarian and try to eat healthy, so this place accommodates that well. It is, however, incredibly overpriced. Considering the demographic of the area though, one should not be shocked by that as New Vernon is a very upscale area wedged in the middle of other upscale, posh areas. I do agree with some of the other reviews in that the staff is not overly friendly and warm, hence the basis for this review. Basically hello and goodbye people with not many thank you's or other conversation.

The first time I went, the food was good and the waitress was attentive, but not annoying. I did not feel like the service was slow per other reviews. Subsequent times, I had the same waitress and again, nothing to complain about and good food. I would not say the waitress was friendly and would describe her as all business.

The last time I stopped there for lunch, the experience was incredibly uncomfortable. I had the same waitress and she presented with an attitude toward me that bordered on contempt. I was immediately confused because I am easy going. I do not make demands in restaurants, do not make servers run back and forth and tip standard 20% or higher. So you can imagine my bewilderment at her presentation to me. She spoke very clipped to me and when I ordered, I requested fries with my "love burger" (aka veggie burger) instead of the salad. Her remark was a clipped and frankly snotty "yeah I remember" before walking away. When she asked for my drink order, I asked for one of the bottled beverages I saw in the front. I didn't know there was more than one flavor and she returned with the wrong one. I apologized and asked for a different one. This girl looked at me like she was about to throw the drink at me. She returned with the right color, but yet another wrong flavor (I had been specific) and she proceeded (as I was asking for the correct one), to open the bottle, put it down in front of me and walk away as I was still speaking. I liked the flavor she basically forced me to drink and figured it wasn't worth a fight to get my preferred flavor.

My meal that day was excellent. I was definitely overcharged for adding fries to the meal and I suspect for the drink. At that point however I didn't want to irritate this girl any further so I paid the check without question. Since I had barely spoken to her during that exchange and during my previous visits, before I left I asked the waitress if I had done something or said something to offend her at that point or in past visits. I pointed out that her demeanor came across as a little angry toward me and also pointed out how we have barely spoken, so I was confused. She told me no in a flat affect and made no effort to apologize for being rude before walking away.

So all in all, I believe this place is a good spot if you want to get together for a casual lunch with friends. I would be open to trying it for dinner too, but I'm still a little gun shy after my last staff encounter and am not sure if I will return. To build on what another reviewer said, I do hope they pull it together here because this place could be amazing.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chatham, NJ
“Have patience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A cute spot that we really want to like, but service, both eat in and take out, is agonizingly slow. How can it possibly take so long to put prepared soup in a cup and ring it up ....? Eat in - some dishes better than others. Pleasant atmosphere. Just go in a very relaxed mood!

Visited December 2013