“Too many problems” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center

You added Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center to your Saves list
Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   178 Ryders Lane, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Formerly Continuing Studies Conference Center )   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Turlock, California
“Too many problems”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Rutgers Univ Inn & Conference Center was recently renovated and given this name.
My wife and I stayed here while settling our daughter, a new Rutgers student, into her dorm.
The place is attractively decorated, but:
the bed was too hard to sleep in,
our refrigerator was too noisy,
and, worst of all for me, the toilet seat was too close to the water level.
You may laugh, but I couldn't keep from dunking when sitting; extremely gross.
The price was a bargain, but I wouldn't want to stay here again. (My wife might.)
Also, you must pay in advance and there is no refund for cancellation or early departure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank kilowatt953
Deana P, General Manager at Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns about our property. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our decor. We have just finished redecorating all rooms, including new furniture and linens. To address your concerns raised in your review: We are in the process of identifying those refrigerators that are too noisy. We have never received complaints about our beds before. I know the mattress type is a personal choice. The water level complaint in the toilet bowl is something very new to us as well. I will have my facilities staff review the situation to see if there is any feasible remedy.

Vestal New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

- On the Rutgers campus. Ideal if you are visiting the campus.
- Less than $80 a night, including taxes. My room had two double beds, a refrigerator and a microwave.
- Rooms are comfortable and quiet with good internet and working desk, + a side chair.
- Not easy to find on internet, but website is stay.rutgers.edu
- Downside is that full payment is required at time of reservation
- Very helpful behind the desk

Room Tip: Room 103 is at the end of the hall way, very quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank stangina
Trieste
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Rooms are in bad need of renovations. Heating system is noisy, and in my room there was only one heater very far from the bathroom, so that taking a shower required quite a lot of courage. The dining room, where breakfast is served, is very cold. I happened to have a room separated by the nearby one just by a door, so the acoustic insulation was very bad. It is not the hotel's responsibility that my neighbor woke up at 6 am and turned on the radio very loudly, but a better acoustic insulation would help. One plus, if you are here for business at Rutgers, is that the location is served by the Rutgers buses, and this is no little advantage in an area where hotels are very sparse, and there is no public transportation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank YouBeeTs
Deana P, General Manager at Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Our facility is scheduled for a major guest room renovation - Spring 2012.
York, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

We stayed here for about 15 nights over one month. It was fine ... but we had no car, so the fact that it was on a regular bus-route to the town-centre was a big plus. Also, we met some interesting people there.

Don't believe the other critical reviews! We were very happy there. people were friendly - not anonymous like so many US hotels. (I'm a Brit.)

• Liked — Location + friendliness + best OK in New Brunswick
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank johnbibby
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

The University Inn is a good place to stay if you are coming to Rutgers for business. I stayed there one night while coming to campus for a meeting, and the location was wonderful. Besides that, however, well, it's hard to find good things. The few staff I interacted with were actually very nice and helpful. The physical aspects of the property left a lot to be desired though. The rooms are quite old and worn; the heating/air conditioning in my room was quite loud. For ice you have to go to the first floor, down a long hallway, through a couple of other rooms and eventually find the ice and one vending machine a good quarter mile from your room. While this is by no means a "nice" place to stay, it is a good value, convenient and easy place to stay if you are at Rutgers for business. Otherwise, you might do better elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

I stayed here for one night when I was deciding on grad schools and visited the campus. The dark brick walls and depressing vibe almost made me want to decide against accepting the offer from Rutgers, even though it was a really good assistantship offer. I have stayed at university accomodations at NYU, U of Wisconsin in Madison, and UCLA, and those were all great. Rutgers is not doing itself any favors by giving a first impression like this.

My room was okay. The inn backs up to some trees and a clearing, so be prepared for some possible wildlife noises. As I was walking to my first floor room, I heard a horrific yowling outside through the open hallway window from two raccoons or something that were fighting or mating or who knows what. I also had a huge centipede-like bug skitter out from behind the room's mirror.

The room was dark and the light by the front door was a bare bulb. The bathroom was clean. There were noticeable and very visible cobwebs hanging from the room's ceiling and walls. I believe you can get a Swiffer with an extension handle for not too much money, and I don't think a state school is *that* strapped, even in light of the proposed New Jersey budget cuts, that they couldn't afford a couple of those for their housekeeping staff. The free breakfast was acceptable, if a little stale. They didn't have a schedule for the school's buses, and I didn't have a car. If you are coming without a car, be aware that it's not close to the train station, and check the bus schedules since this area isn't served as frequently. There are no sidewalks to the bus shelter nearby.

Gloomy place, especially when compared to the light and airy rooms I stayed in at UCLA. I know you don't choose a school based on their on-campus hotel accomodations, but this isn't a good first impression, Rutgers. Spruce it up. At least bother to dust the cobwebs. I wasn't surprised to find out later that the inn has a place on the haunted campus tour.

If you can't afford the Hyatt and have to be in New Brunswick, this will probably be fine. But if you can spring for a nicer room elsewhere, you'll probably have a more pleasant trip.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Holiday Inn Express Tower Center
#1 of 7 in East Brunswick
4.0 of 5 stars 213 reviews
Days Hotel Conference Center East Brunswick

Been to Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center? Share your experiences!