“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in New Brunswick
Flemington, New Jersey
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel as we had tickets for a concert across the street. Great location. Many fabulous eateries all within walking distance. Safe area. Highly recommended. Rooms were nice. Beds comfortable. Nice bar in lobby. Wedding also going on. Valet parking. Good find

• Stayed August 2012
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to meet your hotels needs in New Brunswick. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have been a fan of The Heldrich since my first visit here in 2007. I've been a guest of their's on three occasions: my first visit in 2007 when I stayed in the one bedroom suite with the living room, when I stayed overnight in their Standard Luxury guest room as part of a package deal, (2009), and most recently, when my husband and I hosted our Wedding Reception at Christopher's in September of 2012.

Location:
While New Brunswick is no NYC, it's a cool city with a small town vibe. The Heldrich has a great location in the "heart of the downtown" area, across the street from The State Theatre, George Street Playhouse, near many bars and restaurants, and a short drive away from Rutgers and the Healthcare Hotspots. The New Brunswick Parking Authority offers valet service in front of the hotel, whether you're going to The Heldrich or across the street. There is street parking (free in the evenings), the New Street Parking Deck, as well as The Wolfson Parking Deck on Neilson Street with occasional free parking. I lived in New Brunswick for the 3 1/2 years. The area might seem sketchy, but it's not the hood. As always, pay attention when you're by yourself, especially at night. I've never felt unsafe walking around that area, even at night, but if you're paranoid, just ask for an escort. There's a small gift shop that sells some toiletries and snacks, but if it's closed, just head to the 7 Eleven a few feet away.

The Hotel:

This hotel has conference rooms, a large ballroom/banquet room downstairs, a Spa, Fitness Center, indoor pool, and a restaurant and bar, Christopher's. They offer a Shuttle Van service to/from the train station, or nearby restaurants/churches.

The Staff:

The front desk staff is helpful and friendly. They seem genuinely concerned with making you feel at home. Andrew Dale is The Heldrich's Director of Catering. We worked with him from 2010-2012 while planning our Wedding Reception.

Decor:

Modern and contemporary. There are some nice art works painted by local New Brunswick artists. Some of the furniture could be updated, but everything is in good shape. The downstairs bathroom is clean and classy too.

Food:

It depends who's cooking, but the food is delicious for the most part. They offer in room dining or you can eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner in Christopher's Restaurant or at Christopher's Lounge. (Check out my review on Christopher's here.)

The Accommodations:

The standard luxury suites usually cost $100 per night. Though that doesn't include breakfast, at least they give you complimentary wireless internet. Oh, they have a pet floor! If you're traveling with a furry friend, he or she can stay with you in the room! For our wedding, they gave our guests a "Doggy bag", not sure if they do that regularly, but it was thoughtful of them. There are a few grassy areas around the hotel when you need to take your dog out. The standard rooms are modernly decorated, have a safe, windows, desk, armoire, comfortable queen or king bed with more than 2 pillows, a tube tv with cable (upgrade please!), and clean bathroom with organic or natural toiletries. The tub/shower has good water pressure, is clean, and has plenty of towels. Sure, the toilet paper isn't luxurious egyptian cotton, but I wouldn't say sandpaper. It's standard toilet paper. You use it to wipe your butt and lady parts.

On two occasions, I had the luxury of staying in one of their Bedroom Suites. The suite is pretty sweet! You have the option of requesting a one or two bedrooms, with the living room area separating the rooms. The living room is large! There are floor to ceiling windows with lovely views of "downtown", a full bathroom with shower and toiletries, tube tv, dining room table with seating for 8, coffee table with some magazines, arm chairs, a large pull-out sofa bed, plenty of storage, good lighting, a small kitchenette with a fridge, sink, microwave, and Keurig! Post wedding, we had a gathering with about 10-15 of our friends and there was plenty of room for them. I was too tired to party with them so I just went to bed. They ended up being a little loud for our neighbors so they eventually left to go to another Bar/Lounge. Our bedroom was large and had a huge King bed. The pillows were soft, comfortable, and I slept like a baby! The bathroom was clean with organic toiletries. While in the bathroom, I could definitely hear the elevator noise through the walls. But at least I didn't hear much while lying in bed. We were able to hang out wedding attire in the armoire, and carefully locked up valuables in the safe. Post wedding, we were given a plate of fresh fruit and champagne. I couldn't eat all the fruit, so I stored it in the fridge and brought it home! Our wedding coordinator and assistant brought up all of our Ceremony/Reception Decor and gifts and put them in the suite. Definitely helpful to have a big space for all those items! At the end of our stay, I tidied up the living room and bedroom area. I know I'm a guest, but I don't like to leave a mess behind. I forgot the bellman's name, but he was awesome. He loaded up all of our stuff and rolled it downstairs to load it into the cars. (Yeah, we needed another car!) Checkout was a breeze. We stayed here for two nights during our wedding weekend. Since so many of our friends stayed over, I don't think we paid too much for the first night. When you have a wedding at the Heldrich, the Bridal Suite is complimentary.

Weddings:

Upon our first meeting, Andrew was helpful and willing to work with our budget. I truly didn't think we could afford this venue. My husband and I didn't want a typical banquet venue. We were looking at restaurants that could accommodate at least 100 people with a dance floor. Their ballroom is large and lovely, has beautiful lighting, nice table settings, huge ceilings, great sound, and can accommodate 500 guests! It can be divided into three sections if you're having a smaller affair. We aren't ballroom people so we were intrigued by having our reception in their on site restaurant Christopher's. We had 111 guests, a vendor table, a dance floor, and plenty of room to move between tables and chairs. One of the biggest pluses about hosting our reception here was the hotel and valet service. If we had our reception at another restaurant in New Brunswick, our guests would have to worry about parking and finding a place to rest up. Andrew did a great job coordinating and and executing our wedding. He promptly answered emails, and made the planning process smooth. He wasn't intimidating to talk to or unapproachable, like some catering directors are. There were two misunderstandings with paying our final balance (thought we could pay with a credit card) and the valet parking for our guests, (wasn't included in our final balance and we were notified of the cost via email) but everything was taken care of in the end.

Overall, The Heldrich rocks. Whether you're staying overnight in Hub City, celebrating a special event, relaxing at their spa, have a conference to attend, or wining and dining at Christopher's, it's a great place to be. I totally recommend this hotel and hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did. (:

Room Tip: If you want to splurge, go for the One or Two Bedroom Suites with the living room. Avoid a room near...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Heldrich. I will certainly share all your comments with our staff. I am delighted that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us. We hope to have you back soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

this is the second time we have had a conference at this hotel and both times everything has been perfect. The hotel is clean, the rooms are clean, the restaurant is very good and the staff is excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to your return visit. If there is anything else you need please let us know.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here for one night in September `12 for business. I thought the location was great and the hotel was very clean and nice. Staff was friendly as well. I would stay at this location again - but I would definitely not use the on-site parking. Very expensive so if you rent a car just use a nearby lot. Other than that it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about recent stay at The Heldrich. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sharing your review with our Valet company to share your concern with pricing. We look forward to seeing you again
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I was in New Brunswick to see a concert at the State Theatre of New Jersey. Other friends attending the same event lived close enough to drive to the concert. The Heidrich Hotel's location was perfect for me. I was able to walk the four blocks from the New Jersey Transit station to the hotel. There were numerous restaurants, food markets, pharmacies and convenience stores surrounding the hotel. My window overlooked the theatre. There were numerous complaints in the Trip Advisor reviews from previous guests. I found nothing to merit a complaint. I arrived at the hotel two hours before the designated check-in time, and was immediately given a bright, spacious and comfortable room. All areas of the room (and bathroom) were clean, and none of the promised amenities were missing. As some other guests mentioned, the television took some effort to operate, but newscasts and the Weather Channel were easy to find. I ordered a snack from Room Service a few minutes before the 11 PM deadline, and the operator and waitress who delivered my order were friendly and prompt. The food and coffee were fine. The bed was quite comfortable. Several items at the buffet breakfast were room temperature, and an hour before the closing time, it was difficult to find restaurant staff. The front desk staff were polite, friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay at The Heldrich, and I would return anytime I visit New Brunswick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about recent stay at The Heldrich. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sharing your review with the staff so we can improve and continue the service that you received. We look forward to seeing you again.
Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The rooms are fine. The hotel shows a post- recession cleanliness standard. The restaurant, however, needs a new breakfast and lunch manager. Breakfast is a $17 overpriced, cold (not intentional) buffet. At lunch, we were asked if we had reservations for a half empty room. We were offered a table in a section reserved and occupied by a group event lunch. We declined. We went to the front desk to ask for a recommendation for a restaurant for lunch and we were told to walk down the street, "there are a lot of restaurants down there." Just a complete lack of hospitality common sense.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Heldrich. I do apologize for the lack of service you received while staying with us. I will be speaking to all about the service you received. I do hope that the next time you are in New Brunswick that you give us another try and please let me know when you are coming into town.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here because the Hyatt was full. It used to be good but now I do not recommend. The exercise room is woefully inadequate; I asked for a quiet room not near elevator nor vending (6 weeks ago) and got a room across from both. I was told that they were very full and they did not take into account my request. I went downstairs and saw lots of people checking in so there must have been room somewhere. Each night there have been long, loud conversations outside the elevators from about 11 pm until 2 am. The room had no aircon which turned out that it had been turned off by an engineer for a previous person. The curtain rod was broken and after 3 requests and leaving it in the middle of the room, they finally took it away but did not fix it. The toilet continues to run and when I lifted the cover to fix it, was appalled at the filth and rust. I gave up asking for this to be fixed as it looks like there is no possibility as it is so old and worn. So, the beds are decent but not worth the cost of the rest.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not pick the third floor by the exercise room as the door makes a lot of noise when...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I apologize for the service you received during your recent trip at The Heldrich. There is no reason why your requests were not granted nor items fixed throughout your stay. I have addressed your concerns with my Front Office, Housekeeping and Engineering Team. I hope that you do give us an opportunity to show you what we can really do.

Been to The Heldrich? Share your experiences!