“Needs maintenance” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in New Brunswick
Wyomissing, PA
“Needs maintenance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was my third stay and I have seen a decline in the hotel. My room needed maintenance. Hlaf the security bolt was missing from the door. The paint was peeling on the bathroom ceiling and the soap basket was broken. The iron was missing. They were skimpy on providing towels and the toilet paper is awful. Rough and worse than most rest areas on the Turnpike!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your review and I apologize for your room not being up to yours and our standard. I am addressing everything you have mentioned. We hope that during your next stay you will see an improvement in our services. Please let me know if there is anything I could do.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New Brunswick, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We are neighbors of the Hendrich. We were evacuated from our houses at 9 a.m. due to the recent hurricane. The Heldrick charged its wet and miserable neighbors $25 more not because the rooms were not ready but because the State of Emergency was just the right time to make some extra money! Even though they knew (in fact they stated in writing that "they will not able to deliver linen at this time")!. The brunch was horrible and a few hours later there was no electricity, television, no help with carrying bags... nothing! Did they still charge us the full price? Yes! Did they even think about returning the extra $25 as a gesture? No!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I want to apologize for your experience you had while staying at The Heldrich. I am sorry that you were charged an early arrival fee as we did waive all early arrival fees and did drop our rates to assist all. We did lose electricity for sometime but we did the best we could under the circumstances. We did assist all those who requested help and I again apologize if you were not taken care. We truly appreciate your business and hope that you would give us another opportunity to show you what we can do. Thank you
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Very good hotel modern and sleek. Ideal for business, the area has improved tremendously is now nice to walk around downtown new brunswick. Getting to the hotel is not that easy. No safe in room but a minor detail. Book it without reservations.

Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit. If there is anything else you need please let us know.
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two days with my 16 year old due to a power outage from Hurricane Sandy. I booked online on Thursday and arrived Friday for an early check-in. The front desk staff member, Robyn, checked us in immediately at 11:30am, and waived the early check-in fee without me even asking. I thought that was very gracious of her. She was funny and made us feel welcome. I thought the hotel lobby area was lovely and welcoming.

The room was nicely decorated, clean, comfortable, and had a nice view of downtown New Brunswick. Every staff member we interacted with, even just passing in the hall, was friendly, polite and made us feel welcome. We ate room service, which was tasty, but also walked to some of the nearby restaurants in the area once they reopened. The town was cute with a small theater district right outside the door of the hotel.

I read other comments about the outdated television. We had a tube tv with a flat screen, but I really don' t think not having the most modern tv is a problem if the tv works fine, which it did. I travel a lot for pleasure and business, both domestically and internationally, so I guess little things do not bother me. There was a very funny skit on SNL with workers at the Apple plant in China responding to complaints people had about the new iPhone 5. It puts some of these types of complaints into perspective.

Lastly, I used the valet parking and did not have a problem with the price. That is about what I would have expected to pay. Not cheap, but things often aren't when related to parking and travel.

I would definitely stay at the Heldrich again. We had a great time during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Get one of the deluxe rooms with a few. Very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Heldrich. I am glad we were able to assist you and your 16 year old. I am glad the Robyn was able to assist you upon your arrival and was able to get you into your room when you arrived. New Brunswick is a beautiful town with plenty to see and definitely plenty to eat. We hope that one day you can enjoy The Heldrich for pleasure and maybe catch a show and enjoy your evening with us. Please let us know if/when you plan on visiting us again. Thank you again.
New Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay here whenever I am in the area (I come for both business and to visit family), because it really is the best. Its a modern hotel, right in the heart of New Brunswick, with easy access to lots of restaurants and bars. The bar in the hotel is great, and the food in the restaurant is also really good. We have two small dogs, and the hotel is very pet friendly, which is huge plus. Valet parking is a little pricey, but you can also just park yourself (in the garage right around the corner) for really cheap, if you are willing to walk one block. This is really the best in the area.

Room Tip: You can do a cheap upgrade to a corner room, which is huge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a wonderful review of The Heldrich. We appreciate your kind words. I will certainly share with the staff your review as they would appreciate it very much. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are planning to stay at this hotel and attend a 4pm wedding the same day, be prepared to pay an early check in fee or come the day before. Checkin time is 4pm, no exceptions even if you are hosting the reception at their facility and they made sustantial revenue as a result. Managers refused to waive the early check in fee for people arriving to their rooms one hour before the wedding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we could not check in your guests one hour before check in. We do our best to accommodate all guests and I will reiterate this with my staff. I do hope that you give The Heldrich another opportunity.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don't know where to start. I came into the Heldrich frantic, desperate and displaced. Hurricane Sandy destroyed my neighborhood. My husband is a first responder and I am a nurse and we were kicked out of our hotel on Oct 31st. I drove to about 15 different hotels, and the Heldrich was the last hotel I stopped at. I was at my witts end, I spoke to a woman, I believe her name was Eve, I was put on a wait list. I climbed in my car, not knowing where my husband and I were going to sleep tonight...about 5 min. after I left the Heldrich I received a phone call. There was a room available. I began to cry.....there are no words to explain how grateful we are.... thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am glad that we could help. Eunice did let me know about your situation and the first room that became available I told her to call you. I am so happy that we could accommodate you and Thank You and your husband as I know you two were quite busy as well. We hope that the next time you are in town or need a weekend getaway that you would think of us. Please let me know if there is anything I could do.

Been to The Heldrich? Share your experiences!