“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Edgewater, New Jersey
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in the hotel for two days with my 16 year old due to a power outage from Hurricane Sandy. I booked online on Thursday and arrived Friday for an early check-in. The front desk staff member, Robyn, checked us in immediately at 11:30am, and waived the early check-in fee without me even asking. I thought that was very gracious of her. She was funny and made us feel welcome. I thought the hotel lobby area was lovely and welcoming.

The room was nicely decorated, clean, comfortable, and had a nice view of downtown New Brunswick. Every staff member we interacted with, even just passing in the hall, was friendly, polite and made us feel welcome. We ate room service, which was tasty, but also walked to some of the nearby restaurants in the area once they reopened. The town was cute with a small theater district right outside the door of the hotel.

I read other comments about the outdated television. We had a tube tv with a flat screen, but I really don' t think not having the most modern tv is a problem if the tv works fine, which it did. I travel a lot for pleasure and business, both domestically and internationally, so I guess little things do not bother me. There was a very funny skit on SNL with workers at the Apple plant in China responding to complaints people had about the new iPhone 5. It puts some of these types of complaints into perspective.

Lastly, I used the valet parking and did not have a problem with the price. That is about what I would have expected to pay. Not cheap, but things often aren't when related to parking and travel.

I would definitely stay at the Heldrich again. We had a great time during our three day stay.

Room Tip: Get one of the deluxe rooms with a few. Very nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Heldrich. I am glad we were able to assist you and your 16 year old. I am glad the Robyn was able to assist you upon your arrival and was able to get you into your room when you arrived. New Brunswick is a beautiful town with plenty to see and definitely plenty to eat. We hope that one day you can enjoy The Heldrich for pleasure and maybe catch a show and enjoy your evening with us. Please let us know if/when you plan on visiting us again. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay here whenever I am in the area (I come for both business and to visit family), because it really is the best. Its a modern hotel, right in the heart of New Brunswick, with easy access to lots of restaurants and bars. The bar in the hotel is great, and the food in the restaurant is also really good. We have two small dogs, and the hotel is very pet friendly, which is huge plus. Valet parking is a little pricey, but you can also just park yourself (in the garage right around the corner) for really cheap, if you are willing to walk one block. This is really the best in the area.

Room Tip: You can do a cheap upgrade to a corner room, which is huge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a wonderful review of The Heldrich. We appreciate your kind words. I will certainly share with the staff your review as they would appreciate it very much. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are planning to stay at this hotel and attend a 4pm wedding the same day, be prepared to pay an early check in fee or come the day before. Checkin time is 4pm, no exceptions even if you are hosting the reception at their facility and they made sustantial revenue as a result. Managers refused to waive the early check in fee for people arriving to their rooms one hour before the wedding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we could not check in your guests one hour before check in. We do our best to accommodate all guests and I will reiterate this with my staff. I do hope that you give The Heldrich another opportunity.
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don't know where to start. I came into the Heldrich frantic, desperate and displaced. Hurricane Sandy destroyed my neighborhood. My husband is a first responder and I am a nurse and we were kicked out of our hotel on Oct 31st. I drove to about 15 different hotels, and the Heldrich was the last hotel I stopped at. I was at my witts end, I spoke to a woman, I believe her name was Eve, I was put on a wait list. I climbed in my car, not knowing where my husband and I were going to sleep tonight...about 5 min. after I left the Heldrich I received a phone call. There was a room available. I began to cry.....there are no words to explain how grateful we are.... thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am glad that we could help. Eunice did let me know about your situation and the first room that became available I told her to call you. I am so happy that we could accommodate you and Thank You and your husband as I know you two were quite busy as well. We hope that the next time you are in town or need a weekend getaway that you would think of us. Please let me know if there is anything I could do.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really had an amazing corner room that had four windows and was huge! We would have liked to stay longer. However, it seems that the details of keeping a hotel up to a good quality level are difficult here. Mind you, these are things that wouldn't stop me from staying there again, but it feels like more attention needs to be paid to the little things. We had a good list that we wrote down that needed attention in our room. The front desk woman was very nice and gave us a discount off our stay, even though I really wasn't complaining. Just wanted them to be aware of what we saw. I think this can really be a top notch establishment if they just work on these details with their staff. It is a clean place so that's good!

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room, snag it!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review our The Heldrich. The Front Desk staff does share details of guest comments and I take them and use them to improve on our standards. We are constantly working on improving our facilities and hope that your next visit is up to your standard. Please feel free to see me if there are any issues.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel was good, clean and modern and the staff were very helpful. The only downside is the lack of parking and the cost of having to valet park. Otherwise, I would recommend the hotel and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us here at The Heldrich. I am sorry about the parking situation but at this time the only option at this time is self parking or valet parking which is outsourced. I thank you for your business and look forward to your return visit.
Bethesda, MAryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Yes, we read the very good reviews of the Heldrich and, yes, the location was excellent with good restaurants nearby and an easy walk to New Jersey Transit. At first glance the contemporary design was appealing, but there were too many housekeeping issues that, apparently, the manager is not aware of. An ironing board was in the closet, but an iron was nowhere in the room. The condition of the bathroom should not make the hotel proud. The entire bottom of the bathroom door, from edge to edge and approximately 8 inches from the bottom was covered with something that was quite gray and nasty. The wallpaper was coming loose, and the shower area was not squeaky clean. Guests do not want to see mildew; doesn't the staff see all this? The toilet tissue seemed to be made from the same material one uses for wrapping gifts. Because of its hardness, it was superb for cleaning my eyeglasses. Frankly, I have never seen toilet tissue this thin and scratchy even at an airport or in any other public restroom. Speaking of scratchy.... the towels we had on our first night were thin and of loofah quality. The second set was somewhat better but far from what a guest would expect. Most every hotel provides one extra set of towels. Not the Heldrich. Toiletries provided were the basic shampoo, conditioner and lotion that my skin could not absorb; it formed a coating of a greasy substance that had to be wiped off. In regard to the bed linens, the pillows were fine, but the top sheet felt like a sheet of cold plastic and the duvet was lumpy so that there were cold spots. I agree with another guest regarding the TV. The system for changing channels is unnecessarily cumbersome. When we arrived at 3:30, we noted several guests waiting for their room to be ready. Next time I come to this city, I will stay at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick - where the check-in time is 3:00 pm rather than 4:00 pm.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before accepting it. After reading other reviews, I know some must be lovely.
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at The Heldrich. I want to apologize that your room was not up to your or our standards. I will be reviewing all your comments with my Housekeeping Department and Laundry Vendor about the linen and other items you have addressed. We are currently looking to upgrade our amenities and should have a new line in place in early 2013. Again, I do apologize for your experience with us and do wish that you give us another opportunity to gain your trust with us.

Been to The Heldrich? Share your experiences!