“Thank you” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Staten Island, New York
“Thank you”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I don't know where to start. I came into the Heldrich frantic, desperate and displaced. Hurricane Sandy destroyed my neighborhood. My husband is a first responder and I am a nurse and we were kicked out of our hotel on Oct 31st. I drove to about 15 different hotels, and the Heldrich was the last hotel I stopped at. I was at my witts end, I spoke to a woman, I believe her name was Eve, I was put on a wait list. I climbed in my car, not knowing where my husband and I were going to sleep tonight...about 5 min. after I left the Heldrich I received a phone call. There was a room available. I began to cry.....there are no words to explain how grateful we are.... thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
I am glad that we could help. Eunice did let me know about your situation and the first room that became available I told her to call you. I am so happy that we could accommodate you and Thank You and your husband as I know you two were quite busy as well. We hope that the next time you are in town or need a weekend getaway that you would think of us. Please let me know if there is anything I could do.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really had an amazing corner room that had four windows and was huge! We would have liked to stay longer. However, it seems that the details of keeping a hotel up to a good quality level are difficult here. Mind you, these are things that wouldn't stop me from staying there again, but it feels like more attention needs to be paid to the little things. We had a good list that we wrote down that needed attention in our room. The front desk woman was very nice and gave us a discount off our stay, even though I really wasn't complaining. Just wanted them to be aware of what we saw. I think this can really be a top notch establishment if they just work on these details with their staff. It is a clean place so that's good!

Room Tip: If you can get a corner room, snag it!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review our The Heldrich. The Front Desk staff does share details of guest comments and I take them and use them to improve on our standards. We are constantly working on improving our facilities and hope that your next visit is up to your standard. Please feel free to see me if there are any issues.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hotel was good, clean and modern and the staff were very helpful. The only downside is the lack of parking and the cost of having to valet park. Otherwise, I would recommend the hotel and will probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us here at The Heldrich. I am sorry about the parking situation but at this time the only option at this time is self parking or valet parking which is outsourced. I thank you for your business and look forward to your return visit.
Bethesda, MAryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Yes, we read the very good reviews of the Heldrich and, yes, the location was excellent with good restaurants nearby and an easy walk to New Jersey Transit. At first glance the contemporary design was appealing, but there were too many housekeeping issues that, apparently, the manager is not aware of. An ironing board was in the closet, but an iron was nowhere in the room. The condition of the bathroom should not make the hotel proud. The entire bottom of the bathroom door, from edge to edge and approximately 8 inches from the bottom was covered with something that was quite gray and nasty. The wallpaper was coming loose, and the shower area was not squeaky clean. Guests do not want to see mildew; doesn't the staff see all this? The toilet tissue seemed to be made from the same material one uses for wrapping gifts. Because of its hardness, it was superb for cleaning my eyeglasses. Frankly, I have never seen toilet tissue this thin and scratchy even at an airport or in any other public restroom. Speaking of scratchy.... the towels we had on our first night were thin and of loofah quality. The second set was somewhat better but far from what a guest would expect. Most every hotel provides one extra set of towels. Not the Heldrich. Toiletries provided were the basic shampoo, conditioner and lotion that my skin could not absorb; it formed a coating of a greasy substance that had to be wiped off. In regard to the bed linens, the pillows were fine, but the top sheet felt like a sheet of cold plastic and the duvet was lumpy so that there were cold spots. I agree with another guest regarding the TV. The system for changing channels is unnecessarily cumbersome. When we arrived at 3:30, we noted several guests waiting for their room to be ready. Next time I come to this city, I will stay at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick - where the check-in time is 3:00 pm rather than 4:00 pm.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before accepting it. After reading other reviews, I know some must be lovely.
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at The Heldrich. I want to apologize that your room was not up to your or our standards. I will be reviewing all your comments with my Housekeeping Department and Laundry Vendor about the linen and other items you have addressed. We are currently looking to upgrade our amenities and should have a new line in place in early 2013. Again, I do apologize for your experience with us and do wish that you give us another opportunity to gain your trust with us.
Lyme, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one year ago and really liked it. The rooms were cleaner last year, but its still nice. I'd definitely stay here again. Beware of the bar? However-incredibly bad service and bad bar food!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments and letting us know about your experience at The Heldrich. I am sorry your experience at the bar wwas not up to par. I will look into the service you recieved at the bar and address with the appropriate manager. We do look forward to a return visit and please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have now stayed at the Heldrich over a half a dozen times, with the latest being last week. The hotel is consistent in that it always just misses in being a great hotel. First, the public spaces in the hotel are terrific, well styled, and inviting even where there is an event in progress. The bar is very attractive and well laid out and the staff is generally first rate. Front desk is competent and I have had no problems with reservations. Where the hotel falls down is in its rooms and its restaurant. The hotel is about 5 years old, yet does not have flat screen television nor radios with IPOD docking stations, which these days one can expect in a hotel of this class and age. They may have been the last institution in NJ to buy tube televisions). Paint is peeling in bathrooms. Free wifi is a plus.

The restaurant is strikingly average and expensive. This is not to much of an issue given the quality dining establishments nearby.

Valet parking is expensive. The public garage is nearby and is much less expensive (and is whee the valet actually parks).

Room Tip: One can save quite a bit by calling the hotel rather than using it's web site or hotels.com.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at The Heldrich. We have gotten feedback about the TV's and are looking into purchasing new one. I will also look into new radios for our guests rooms. We look forward to you coming back.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've stayed here twice this month. Both times my room was comfortable and clean. The TV is out of date (can't remember the last time I didn't have a flat screen), but it worked. They could also update their wiring. With all the electronic devices that need charging these days a line of plugs across the desk would be a big help. The work out machines are woefully out of date, but work fine. I was attending a conference on both occasions and the meals were included. The buffet was excellent---a good variety. I'm borderline vegan these days and there were lots of great options. The front desk was helpful, although the first time I checked in they didn't have a room ready for my until 4pm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about The Heldrich. We are currently looking at upgrading our TV's and I will look into adding additional outlets on the desk. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Heldrich? Share your experiences!