“Disappointing Heldrich” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
Bethesda, MAryland
“Disappointing Heldrich”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Yes, we read the very good reviews of the Heldrich and, yes, the location was excellent with good restaurants nearby and an easy walk to New Jersey Transit. At first glance the contemporary design was appealing, but there were too many housekeeping issues that, apparently, the manager is not aware of. An ironing board was in the closet, but an iron was nowhere in the room. The condition of the bathroom should not make the hotel proud. The entire bottom of the bathroom door, from edge to edge and approximately 8 inches from the bottom was covered with something that was quite gray and nasty. The wallpaper was coming loose, and the shower area was not squeaky clean. Guests do not want to see mildew; doesn't the staff see all this? The toilet tissue seemed to be made from the same material one uses for wrapping gifts. Because of its hardness, it was superb for cleaning my eyeglasses. Frankly, I have never seen toilet tissue this thin and scratchy even at an airport or in any other public restroom. Speaking of scratchy.... the towels we had on our first night were thin and of loofah quality. The second set was somewhat better but far from what a guest would expect. Most every hotel provides one extra set of towels. Not the Heldrich. Toiletries provided were the basic shampoo, conditioner and lotion that my skin could not absorb; it formed a coating of a greasy substance that had to be wiped off. In regard to the bed linens, the pillows were fine, but the top sheet felt like a sheet of cold plastic and the duvet was lumpy so that there were cold spots. I agree with another guest regarding the TV. The system for changing channels is unnecessarily cumbersome. When we arrived at 3:30, we noted several guests waiting for their room to be ready. Next time I come to this city, I will stay at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick - where the check-in time is 3:00 pm rather than 4:00 pm.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before accepting it. After reading other reviews, I know some must be lovely.
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at The Heldrich. I want to apologize that your room was not up to your or our standards. I will be reviewing all your comments with my Housekeeping Department and Laundry Vendor about the linen and other items you have addressed. We are currently looking to upgrade our amenities and should have a new line in place in early 2013. Again, I do apologize for your experience with us and do wish that you give us another opportunity to gain your trust with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lyme, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here one year ago and really liked it. The rooms were cleaner last year, but its still nice. I'd definitely stay here again. Beware of the bar? However-incredibly bad service and bad bar food!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments and letting us know about your experience at The Heldrich. I am sorry your experience at the bar wwas not up to par. I will look into the service you recieved at the bar and address with the appropriate manager. We do look forward to a return visit and please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have now stayed at the Heldrich over a half a dozen times, with the latest being last week. The hotel is consistent in that it always just misses in being a great hotel. First, the public spaces in the hotel are terrific, well styled, and inviting even where there is an event in progress. The bar is very attractive and well laid out and the staff is generally first rate. Front desk is competent and I have had no problems with reservations. Where the hotel falls down is in its rooms and its restaurant. The hotel is about 5 years old, yet does not have flat screen television nor radios with IPOD docking stations, which these days one can expect in a hotel of this class and age. They may have been the last institution in NJ to buy tube televisions). Paint is peeling in bathrooms. Free wifi is a plus.

The restaurant is strikingly average and expensive. This is not to much of an issue given the quality dining establishments nearby.

Valet parking is expensive. The public garage is nearby and is much less expensive (and is whee the valet actually parks).

Room Tip: One can save quite a bit by calling the hotel rather than using it's web site or hotels.com.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience here at The Heldrich. We have gotten feedback about the TV's and are looking into purchasing new one. I will also look into new radios for our guests rooms. We look forward to you coming back.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've stayed here twice this month. Both times my room was comfortable and clean. The TV is out of date (can't remember the last time I didn't have a flat screen), but it worked. They could also update their wiring. With all the electronic devices that need charging these days a line of plugs across the desk would be a big help. The work out machines are woefully out of date, but work fine. I was attending a conference on both occasions and the meals were included. The buffet was excellent---a good variety. I'm borderline vegan these days and there were lots of great options. The front desk was helpful, although the first time I checked in they didn't have a room ready for my until 4pm.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about The Heldrich. We are currently looking at upgrading our TV's and I will look into adding additional outlets on the desk. We hope to see you again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for a 3 day training that my job was having at the hotel. Parking is not attached to the hotel, you can use valet or the self parking, which is in the same parking garage. It's a $5 difference. The food was decent that was served. The beds were quite comfortable. If you are traveling and taking a laptop, make sure that you don't have issues with wireless, there is not a wired connection. I had no complaints about the upkeep of the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the Heldrich. We hope to see you again soon.
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location is superb. The room (one bedroom suite) is very large and our view was fantastic. Little things were not kept up: paint was peeling around our bathroom mirror, the large dining room table was covered with water marks, the coffee looked very old (though tasted fine). But we would come back to this room anytime! Our other room was an ADA luxury double. There was a lip (though low) from the tub that had to be stepped over, and there were no handrails in the tub. The toilet was surrounded by handrails. So this was an ADA-room wanabe. Certainly not up to code. So beware.
Had the breakfast buffet at Christopher's. Very surly staff and hostess. Also, buffet was til 10:30. But they started to close things down by 10:15.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time for letting us know about your recent experience here with us. I will be sharing your comments with my team to address all your concerens. I hope that we do see you again soon.
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is very nicely appointed. The rooms were nice and spacious and the breakfast was great. Was here on business, wish we had more time to explore around, looked cool. The one slight problem we had was trying to figure out how to work the buttons on the TV, but that can be chalked to our ineptitude lol...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Victor_R_08901, Manager at The Heldrich, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to wirte a wonderful review of The Heldrich Hotel & Spa. I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time while staying with us. Hopefully you can make it back to New Bunswick and enjoy the amenities the town and hotel have to offer. We look forward to your next trip.

Been to The Heldrich? Share your experiences!