“Not Happy” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Catherine Lombardi Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 169 Restaurants in New Brunswick
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: George Street
Transit: The restaurant is located a few minute walk from the New Brunswick train station, on the New Jersey Transit - Northeast Corridor line.
Jackson, New Jersey
“Not Happy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but I feel that I must about Catherine Lombardi..The best thing about this restaurant was the decor..It spiraled downhill quickly after we sat down to eat dinner..My wife and I split a salad, we each had 3,yes 3 forkfills..I had the Veal Scallopini which I thought was overpriced at $29..Now, the old saying goes : "good veal is great,but bad veal is horrible" Sadly,this was bad veal,sliced way to thick and very chewy,not what you would expect at that price..My sister in law had the Filet Mignon, priced over $30..when her dish arrived it contained the steak and 2,,yes 2 small round potatoes about the size of a hershey kiss.She actually had to ask for more potatoes, which I'M sure she was charged for...Allthough I didn't have any I was told that the coffee was good....All in all I felt that the food was sub par,overpriced and portions that were big enough for a hummingbird.We go to the George Street Playhouse once a year..We will NEVER go back to Catherine Lombardi's

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

East Windsor, New Jersey
“Eat Here Before The Show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed dinner here on a Monday evening before seeing a show at the State Theater - which is only a few doors up the same street. The food was very good and we thought the service was Excellent, friendly and personable. I would say it may have been a little pricey but we had a good night out so not a complaint - just something to consider. Suggestion: Ask for a seat by the window which overlooks a centralpart of the town. Also - the garlic bread was VERY GOOD - lots of garlic and butter, but still very good. Ambiance was nice and the crowd seemed to be couples and business groups - althought it did seem to get a little loud as the restaurant filled up. Definitely recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Flemington
“Terrific staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We arrived completely stressed by incredible traffic and a non-working pay machine at a parking lot, all of which had made us half an hour late for our 6pm pre-theatre reservation.

Everyone was so nice and helpful that we calmed down completely. The greeter assured us that we would be out in time for our theatre, as did our terrific waiter, Brandon.

When the portions were 'way too huge, he offered to wrap them up and keep them in the restaurant fridge until after the performance, so that we wouldn't have to hold them on our laps.

Our food and wine came out in a timely fashion, and we had a most relaxing meal.

The room is very attractive and the tables are nicely spaced.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great Food, Service & Ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband took some clients out for dinner and was raving about this place so we went on a Friday for date night. He made a reservation via Open Seating for 7:30pm and were seated promptly. This place would be perfect for business or date night. When you enter there is a swanky bar. When you look into the restaurant there is a magnificent fireplace towards the back. The variety of the seating was well thought out so it doesn't feel crowded even when the restaurant is full. I felt relaxed and ready for a new dining experience.

The wine list is out of this world! It would have taken me all night to get thru it so I just told the waitress the type of wine I wanted and let her make some recommendations. The Manager brought over our wine, welcomed us and pour it for us. He checked back with us a few times during the meal. I really appreciated that kind of attention.

The food was awesome. It's traditional Italian but not heavy. We had the stuffed mushrooms for appetizers. I had the Arugula & Parmigiano-Reggiano salad. My husband had the pear, gorgonzola, pecans and greens salad. The Appetizers were divine. For dinner I had the stiffed calamari with red sauce and spinach. My husband had the eggplant parmigiana. We ordered the very garlic bread. It is just that....very garlic but really good.

For dessert we had tiramisu which is my favorite. It was served in a dessert glass and had a fluffy light texture. I did not want a dessert wine so the waitress recommended an expresso martini. Woo...the combo was excellent!

Neither of us were able to finish our meals (excluding dessert) so we took home a doggie bag. They give you a ticket with a number on it. You give that to the front desk on your way our and they give you the doggie bag. That is perfect for me because I usually leave my doggie bag on the table. Oops. We enjoyed our left overs on Saturday afternoon...and the very garlic bread warms very nicely in the oven.

You can view the menu w/ prices online to see what they offer. The menu does include pricing as well.

Overall, I had a very enjoyable dinning experience and would definitely return to this restaurant. I would push back the reservation to 8 or 8:15pm if you're not going to the theatre. By then the restaurant dies down which heightens the experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were looking for a place to have dinner after a show at the State Theater, and made the mistake of going to this restaurant. It looked nice and it was right down the block from the theater. The service was excellent, though everyone was a bit stuffy, like they were doing us a favor by letting us eat there. The food was average at best and their prices are high, which to me means, little value, and not to be visited again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere