“Battered, bruised, abused, and left broke in the middle of a snowstorm.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Express Inn - New Brunswick

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in New Brunswick
New York City, New York
“Battered, bruised, abused, and left broke in the middle of a snowstorm.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We're a recently married couple who only booked this particular HoJo branch due to its proximity to the New Brunswick train station and the only motel that we could afford before we can actually move in to our apartment in New York.

On 2/12/14 I contacted customer support to both Howard Johnson and Booking.com to settle a dispute I had with the front receptionist, who claimed to be the manager of the place, that the daily standard rate that I had booked through Booking.com did not match the amount of days in which I stayed. A total of $464.60 was shown in my invoice for a booking of 7 days, when adjusted to the Booking.com daily rate of $50.40 (excluding tax) should amount to be $352.80. During the duration from 1/31/14 - 2/7/2014 I was charged two different rates: the original Booking.com rate of $50.40 and then another rate of $63.20. Including taxes; the original 7 day stay through Booking.com came out to be $464.60. Due to weather conditions preventing us from leaving the New Brunswick, NJ Howard Johnson branch, we had to book an additional 5 days. Unfortunately, I understand that rates done directly through the source - this case being Howard Johnson and not Booking.com - can differ from doing it through a third-party source, when I am being charged for a 4 night stay at $406.64 including taxes through Howard Johnson for 4 days...this does not make sense. How can a hotel adjust their rates so sporadically and not be considered fraudulent? When third-party companies promoting Howard Johnson are buying out customers to figure out through their own mistake that they have booked with a hotel branch that does not take its customers/occupants seriously enough to match those prices or compensate them, why list them in the first place?

2/13/14, the entire North East Corridor, primarily New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania will be expecting gusts of over 20/30 MPH and snow of 10-12 inches and I am left with the only option to remain here for an additional two days at the discretion of the hotel staff who has belittled my requests to understand why I was being charged infrequent rates, whether I could speak to a manager or not, whether the hotel was going to be operating through this snowstorm, and if I can have a representative of Booking.com speak with the receptionist of Howard Johnson. All these requests were not met and I am left with no other alternative but to pay through a third party, as I refuse to have to pay the rate which is nowhere advertised in the hotel and fluctuates from $50 to $60, to lastly, $70 in a matter of two weeks.

One can only hope that my room can stay the same, since the daily rate does not.

On top of it all, I'm being shouted at and lied to for simply asking why the room rate is changing. When is this attitude ever appropriate to a paying customer?

Roach infested, dangerous, close to nowhere, bedbugs, and above everything else; a dilapidated circus that should be shut down.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked 2 rooms for 2 nights for my daughters dance convention which was down the street. Wasn't even in the rooms 15 min and we noticed the bed spreads had cigarette holes all in them, the mattresses were yellow, the rugs were not vacumed, furniture was not dusted, the walls had holes in them, one room the shower handle was broken off so no way to access the shower faucet, the water coming from the sink and other shower faucet was brown. When I went to tell the lady at the front desk that I wanted a refund she was very rude yelling at me and said that if she goes into our rooms and sees that we made a mess then we would have to pay. We were not even there 15 min. She called the maintenance man to go inspect our rooms and they argued about it because he didn't want to. WOW so unprofessiona. So then she said she would have to go inspect and left me and my friend in the lobby for a good 20 min. The whole time she was over in our rooms yelling at our kids to clean the mess up and kicked them and all our luggage out of the room into the cold until we went back over to the room. Mind you we made no mess in 15 min besides a emplty can of soda in the trash can. I demanded my money back an told her i would report her and never ever to yell at someone's children again. O and when I told her about the brown water coming from the faucets she said "o yea we had a bad pipe yesterday, my bad". My mouth was open forever on how she treated us. Maybe that is how she lives in her home but not us. The place was discusting and i don't know why they even are still in business under the name Howard Johnson....

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Lanham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I think that the hotel should be closed down for poor services including room quality and general cleanliness in the lobby. I never tried the breakfast and other services provided because the room I slept in stinks and so I concluded nothing good was going to come out from anything served in the hotel. I later gathered from a cab driver when I was checking out that, the rooms are given out to people on hourly basis for all sorts of activities including drugs and prostitution.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - New Brunswick? Share your experiences!