“Do NOT check in.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Neptune
Hamilton
“Do NOT check in.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Okay let me start out by saying im no 5 star hotel monger... I have stayed in some run of the mill holiday inn sort of places several times, but the Crystal Inn was probably the worst for cleanliness. When my boyfriend and I entered the lobby there was a young girl sitting at the front desk reading a magazine. When she realized finally we were there to check in she peeked over the counter with the most harsh stare possible as if WE were ruining her reading time. Her attitude was awful and converstation consisted of a couple "Mhhmm's" and "Nope's." (not very friendly or conversational to say the least) I called ahead and booked a non smoking room (me being a smoker I don't like to smoke inside nor do I like the smell on my bedding and such) and when we entered the room it reaked of stale cigarette smoke, almost as if the cleaning staff was smoking while they made the beds and cleaned the bathroom. We had to laugh because when we washed our hands after putting down all of our bags even the soap smelled of cigarette smoke, but I wasn't going to go back downstairs and complain to the 'ever so lovely' girl at the front desk so we just opened the sliding door and sprayed some perfume. Moving on... We checked the bedding for bed bugs and sorts and the good news was no creepy crawlies BUT to my demise the pillow cases were stained something horrible. I just threw the pillows on the floor and thankfully brought my own to sleep with. We sat down on the couch to relax and watch TV while using the provided table to sit and eat I lunged from my seat only to realize my butt was soaked. Yes I said soaked and for a split second I wanted to burst into tears thinking the worst, but thankfully it was only water (god I still hope I was right) on the couch cushion. There is a pool there so we came to the conclusion someone must have come back from the pool and took a seat with a wet bathing suit. Then again why wasn't the cleaning staff checking that sort of thing? Needless to say my apetite was ruined and I decided to jump in the shower to which I could hear just about everything that was being said in the next room. If you want some privacy this probably isn't the place for you, besides the loud drunks at night which I can deal with you can hear everyones converstation. Anyway... Im not an easily skeeved out person but this did it for me. Opt for something nicer, even if you do have to pay a few extra bucks it will be worth not feeling like your going home with fleas and roaches and a wet butt.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ocean
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

My friend and I have been going to the Crystal Inn for many years, and here it is plain and simple. The service is great, the women who clean the rooms and bring you what you need are excellent. The rooms need updating, but still nice for $50 bucks on the weekdays. They offer a nice breakfast from 6:00am to 9:30am. But the place is rowdy. The manager and his staff have no back bone, and do nothing to curb the loud and obnoxious people. It should not be like that, you are there to wash up and most importantly sleep!!!! But don't give up, if it gets loud and you can't sleep, call downstairs and get results. There is one guy that works there, who will call the cops and he has had people kicked out. Bottom line that place has been know for being a place to party and people do, but they go bonkers!! Good luck to you, we can bring about a change to this place, and we need to make it a place people will want to go.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

I've been coming here for over a year, an have stayed all times of the year. I've never had a place that continiously goes out of their way to ensure confort and satisifaction. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Off all the places I stay at, I look forward to going to Crystal Inn in Neptune. The price is very good, and the bed is comfortable. The rooms are always clean, and fully stocked with all the aminities needed. I hope whoever stays there has the enjoyment I always get when I am there.

• Liked — The balcony on 2nd floor and comfort
  • Disliked — no problems to put hree.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

The staff were friendly, however i didnt want to prolong the conversation as the lobby/reception area smelled like something had died in it... The room i must say was huge... and there was a balcony (standard with every room) which was nice. I had the king size suite that came with a couch that pulled out. The bathroom (to me) was disgusting... The sink had a wad of gum clogging it and the water would slowly drain... the towels were discolored, and there were stains and cigarette burns in the sheets... not to mention the sheets were marked (in a sharpe pen) "crystal inn"... as if anyone would want to take home THOSE sheets.... Close to american bank, grocery store, liquor store, Ihop (another terrible experience) perkins, applebees and shopping plazas and outlets

• Liked — The room size close to large shopping area
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

I've stayed here every once in awhile for the last 10+ years. At one time it was a Howard Johnson's motel. Was here on a Saturday night spur of the moment so without a reservation. They were out of non-smoking Queen bed rooms so I went for a non-smoking King bed room, more spacious, for $10 more.

Somewhat of a welfare motel I believe by the fact I see families packed into some rooms and few vehicles. Never had any problems with the semi-permanent residents other than an occasional noisy room.

Two story building, inside entrance, and all rooms have either a balcony or porch. Could use a little refurbishing but not awful.

Convenient location to Rt 35 and Rt 66. They have a free continental breakfast in the morning but nothing to write home about.

Don't think you'll find them on Orbitz and the like but if you go to their website you can book directly, which years ago you couldn't and would need to call their toll-free number.

For the price a decent option just don't have high expectations.

• Liked — Convenience and price
  • Disliked — Could use some refurbishing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

The hotel lobby, hallway and room were dirty. Several lights did not work in the room. The internet did not work. The walls had holes. Everything looked 40 years old. The bed was creaking. The worst problem was that the door to the common hallway had a half-inch spacing at the bottom. Because of this we would hear everything going on in the hallway. This hotel was frequented by loud obnoxious people. There was a security guard present.

We asked for a refund when we saw the room and they refused.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crystal Inn? Share your experiences!