“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Crystal Inn
706 Highway 35 North, Neptune, NJ 07753   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Neptune
Oldham, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Not the best place on our trip but you get what you pay for. The pool would be a big selling point to be honest although we didn't use it. The room was big with 2 double beds, a fridge that worked, microwave, tv. free wifi and breakfast (although they seriously need to look at whats on offer and re think the stale donuts - buy individually packed, cost a few cents more). The shower made up for some of the failings as the water was hot and plentiful. Wasn't impressed with the iron burns in the carpet or the cigarette burns all over the bedding but the room was clean and the beds relatively comfortable. If you want to visit a Gentlemans club then this might be the place for you as it really is about 100 yards away !!!!

Being English I asked for a cot by email ( crib) and got a cot ( fold up single bed). If you want a cot for a 6 month old - ask for a crib - Oh they haven't got one so best not stay there. Spoke to the guy behind the counter - convo went like this...
" I'm sorry we wanted a crib for the baby and have got a cot, we ordered the wrong thing due to translation from UK English to USA English, can you get us a crib please?"
"No, we don't have any."
" Is there any other hotel near by you could maybe ask if we can borrow one?" (we'd already paid when we realised.)
"No, we don't use any other hotel"
"Are you at all bothered that our 6month old has no bed?"
" No, not really"
" Could you suggest to the management that they add onto their advert, we have no cribs"
"No, we don't do cribs"
TO SAY I COULDN'T CATCH MY BREATH WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mill Hall, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were lucky enough to get a room on July 3rd on short notice as we wanted to see a show in Asbury Park. Yes there were burn holes in the bedding but it appeared to be clean. Patio door opened to pool area. Parking lot was full when we returned late after show so parked at far end of lot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Mawah NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The crystal In was by far the grossest place I ever stayed. Burn marks in the sheets.. Mysterious white marks on the blankets. Looks like they havent vacaumed in five years. I Regret spending a dime on this place. No service /. They don't pick up the phone and I was scared of how dirty the the room really was. Just gross

• Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I came down there with my non profit organization for several shows ! Our tax exempt was honored when purchasing the rooms which came to a great surprise! All staff were nice helpful and respectful. The rooms were in decent condition the bed spreads had cigarette burns and it was a non smoking room! Breakfast in the morning is nothing extravagant but was greatly appreciated. The pool was a nice touch may need a little more daily maintenance. Taxis were very quick and great prices . Some local stores in the area to walk to. Convenient location to Asbury board walk and NJ Transit train .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Little Falls, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I needed a hotel for the 4th annual Asbury Park tattoo convention so we were barely going to be in the room since most of our day we worked the convention. The inn is close proximity to the convention center near the beach so this was definitely a pro.
I stayed with a co-worker for 2 nights 3 days.
The hotel had the room ready upon arrival, however, when we checked our room it smelled like smoke and like a wet dog or cat had been in the room recently.
The covers were not freshly cleaned, the room hadn't been vacuumed in who knows how long. The first night I stayed I woke up the next morning with a large bug bite on my forehead. If this couldn't get worse, our second and last night stay I woke up with a swollen eye. Something had bitten me twice. This was my greatest concern since I hadn't known what bit me. Aside from bug bites, musty sheets, and dirty rugs. It's okay for a short stay. Luckily I wasn't spending all day in the place. I didn't get to go in the pool for the lack of time, but it seems clean.
I booked a double bed room for my coworker and I. Parking is good, they have a nice parking lot but thats about as good as i can say. I wouldn't stay again the strange bites on my face freaked me out enough to look into other places.

Room Tip: Assure that you check the room before you pay upfront.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed at Crystal Inn Neptune while visiting some friends at the shore. The proximity to the beach couldn't be better. The room was clean, linens fresh. The front desk person was extremely helpful. He even helped me bring my luggage to the room. No complaints here especially due to the affordable rates.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Freehold, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed at this motel last week because I was having family problems and needed a safe place to stay. When I booked the room, I was given the price for a single, and when I got there, the incompetent person at the front desk told me to wait until he had a chance to count his drawer and "get himself in the door" because his shift just started. So i walked to the back of the lobby and waited. During that time another customer walked in and asked him for the single room that i had just asked for and he gave the room to them. Forcing me to pay an additional 50 dollars for a double room that I didnt need. I was in a bind and had to take the room. The next morning I was woken up by housekeeping banging on the door. and after I was not able to answer fast enough they began to enter the room. Within 15 minutes of that incident I spoke to the general manager and explained that the housekeeping staff does not pay attention to the "Do Not Disturb" signs on the doors as most of them are broken. I also explained how the door to my room was broken and would not close unless you lifted the handle and forced the door closed. They made a very half hearted attempt to fix the door but were unsuccessful. I have no confidence that the housekeeping staff did not enter the room when i was not present. Also on two separate occasions I came to the hotel to see that the "secure" entry door in the back of the building, was wedged open with a washcloth. The second time this occured there were 5 police cars in the parking lot of the hotel. I went to the front desk to explain that I would be checking out (at 2 A.M.) explaining that i felt unsafe in the hotel due to these issues and that I respectfully requested a refund for the one remaining day that I had paid for and the staff refused. I had also explained to the GM how the single room was sold out from under me and he said that he would look into it and get back to me, and I haven't yet heard back from him about that situation. I was finally able to speak to the GM about the safety concerns I raised and again asked for a refund of the ONE night i did not stay in the hotel, he again refused. When I began to explain to the general manager that quoting a "CASH" rate was illegal and told him that I would be reporting him to the IRS he called the police. I noticed on my check out receipt that they had fudged the numbers to make it look as though they charged tax. However when I checked In I was told what the cash rate was and what the 'other' rate as he would have to charge me tax if I used a credit card. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL it is unsafe and the staff is unconcerned with the well being or safety of their clients. I also called several times trying to find out the owner of this hotel, and they refused to give me any information so I could file a formal complaint. I gave them 1 star only becuase there is no option to give a zero.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Crystal Inn? Share your experiences!