“Smelled like a pet store, hotel alarm went off at 3 am” 2 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Mount Laurel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Smelled like a pet store, hotel alarm went off at 3 am”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I'm still here for a friend's funeral! I have to figure out if I want to come back here in two weeks for a wedding! I have stayed here before and the staff were awesome - top notch.

Now, I am shaking my head. An employee let me know that pets either were or are currently allowed overnight. No wonder my room on the 4th floor smelled like a group of feral cats had vacationed there. The scent of cat urine "tang" hits you when you get off the elevator and when I entered my it almost knocked me over.

I told the staff and they said the other wheelchair accessible room was occupied but they would "freshen up" the room. Unless you are changing the rugs, you cant Febeeze
that away. They also gave me two "drink tickets" for the bar. I'm too easy going.

Ok, so maybe I can burn incense or something. Then, this morning at approx 3 AM, the hotel's recorded emergency message comes on and doesn't go off. "Attention, there is a hotel emergency, until this is verified please exit the building" - over and over again.
I called down because the message said no elevator and me being in a wheelchair...

The front desk said there was no fire, and probably someone had "just opened a door."
Oh great, so I am grateful for not burning to death but more than a little pissed at the loud speaker wake up call.

I have several more days to enduring living at Pet Smart. Wish me luck.

JO

Room Tip: Stay away from 4th floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
agala, Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Dear nodecafplz,

We are deeply troubled by the comments that you have shared with us; however, we are truly grateful that you have taken the time to bring these issues to our attention while you are still at the hotel.

We sincerely apologize for the negative experience you have encountered during your stay. We have already spoken with the Housekeeping Department to make them aware of the issue with your room.

It is also unfortunate that the fire alarm went off at 3am; however, one of our other guests apparently did not want to get dressed to go outside to smoke a cigarette, and in turn tried to sneak one in our stairwell. It is horrible that you had to be inconvenienced due to the actions of others.

We hope we have addressed the situation to your satisfaction. We have enjoyed having you as our guest in the past and look forward to continue having you as our guest in the future later this month.

The Management & Staff of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Middletown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Upon entering the Wyndham i found the entry way to be old and in need of updating. It doesn't make a great first impression. Stayed on the Club Level Floor for one night. The bathroom smelled moldy. The smell bothered my mom the entire night. The furniture is old and worn, especially the bathroom mirror. I must agree with another writer...the carpeting was new but so dirty. My feet were gray by the time i was ready for bed. The beds were very comfortable with many pillows. Being on the Club Level breakfast is provided each day in the lounge. The Starbucks Coffee and hot water were luke warm. The breakfast selection was poor. I had to call the front desk to get them to refill the coffee and the little food that they had. Like i said...ok for an overnight.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Susan0531,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay. We apologize for the negative experience you encountered at our hotel. We are happy to report that the entrance of our hotel was very recently repainted and we are sorry that you were one of the individuals who had to see it before its refurbishing.

You mentioned that you were in a 9th floor room that smelled badly in the bathroom. We would like very much to find out which room you were staying in so we can address this; therefore, if you would be so kind and feel comfortable doing so, I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly at 856-234-7009 to let me know which room number you stayed in. This would also assist me in inspecting the condition of the carpet because our sleeping rooms are on a shampooing schedule and I would like to move this room up in our rotation.

Regarding the breakfast, I have forwarded your comments to our Food & Beverage Director who was very appreciative of being informed of your experience as this is not the standard of our Club Lounge.

We would genuinely appreciate the opportunity to change your current impression of the hotel by serving you again in the future.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

My wife and I were recently married and like most couples getting ready to take the plunge, getting all of your plans in order was key, especially with our families' complaints. We were faced with not only finding a place that worked well for my wife and her bridal party, but also needed to make sure there were plenty of rooms to block off for our guests who were coming from long distances. I mention long distances because many of our guests were faced with what to do with their pets, and well, this place is pet friendly so being able to bring them along for the stay helped us out a lot. In addition to accommodating their pets we also wanted to accommodate their wallets. Of the big chains around, I was able to strike a good deal with the sales manager, Stacy Schlags. She was with us every step of the way, answering any and al question in a timely manner as well as sending us frequent updates on which of our guests have booked rooms letting us know that we were getting closer to achieving our goal of receiving our own booking discounts based on the number of rooms we booked. As if all of this wasn't enough, the icing on the cake was working with Dawn in catering to put together a wonderful post-wedding brunch that we customized with her and her chef that did not break the bank. She was more than willing to work with us just as Stacy was. My wife and I wound up taking the Presidential Suite and applied our booking credits towards the price of the room. This suite has a seperate french door entrance to the bedroom and big bathroom with a walk in closet/dresser area. It also had a kitchen with plenty of lighting and a big refrigerator, living space and full dining table which worked well for doing hair and makeup the morning of the wedding as well as provide an entertaining space for visitors before and after the event took place. Everyone that we worked with at this facility made our wedding day experience the best it could be. From making sure our guests received the"treat-bags" we made up for them, to the complimentry shuttle service for our guests to The Merion (where our ceremony and reception took place). Working with Stacy and Dawn was truly a pleasure and would recommend anyone who is interested in booking their wedding around Exit 4 on the NJ Turnpike to deal exclusively with Stacy and Dawn.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly: Stacy Schlags
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
agala, Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear World_Traveler_0814,

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review!

We are very happy that we were able to meet all your expectations and make the process of booking your wedding room block/catering event at the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel a pleasant one. Our staff prides itself on customer service and we are ecstatic that your expectations were met from the booking process to the day of your event.

Congratulations on your recent wedding and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

The Staff of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I recently stayed for the overnight traveling through to NY. The lobby area is modern and clean, but that is where it ends. The hallways to the rooms are dark and carpeting definitely needs repair. Once in the room, you realize that the vacuum cleaners and mops must be out for repair. Don’t walk around your room without shoes. The bathroom floor looked like it hadn’t been washed in days. The wallpaper in the room looks like things were taken down and simply patched over. So you are asking yourself why I didn’t complain, very simple after driving 9 hours I arrived after 10pm and was leaving at 6am the next day. I would not stay here again

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear rklrkl,

We were very dismayed to read your comments regarding your stay and apologize for any inconvenience that you may have suffered. It is the desire of the team of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel to provide every guest with an exceptional stay, but in this case it does not appear that we accomplished that goal.

Again please accept our apologies and be assured that all of your comments have been addressed with all of the appropriate department managers. Thank you and we hope that give you another chance if you are in the Mount Laurel area again.

The Staff of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We booked our wedding hotel block here and overall had a great stay. The most positive aspect was the booking and sales department. Our representative was very attentive and willing to answer any questions we had along the way. She was the reason that we chose to book with the Wyndham.
There were a few hiccups along the way though. Unfortunately, we had the same problem as another wedding group did. When some of our guests tried to book rooms they were told that there were no reservations and rooms available. I know that the hotel was pretty busy that weekend but when I called to inquire further, I was told that this was not true. The front desk, while pleasant throughout our stay, always appeared a little confused when we asked questions and did not always apply the things that were contracted for.
The bartender was great and very accommodating to our guests who came back to the bar after the wedding. Even though she was very busy, she was so so sweet to all of us and did a great job.
Overall, the hotel is very clean, courteous, and in a great location. The sales department is wonderful and the staff very nice. We would stay with this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Dotty104,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the sales team. Responses such as yours can only help improve the quality of service we strive to deliver to our guests. Our staff completely understands the importance of preserving wedding day memories and we would like to extend an apology for the service you received during the reservation process and the front desk.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

King Regards,
The Staff at the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We had read from previous reviews that this hotel was showing it's age but was fairly clean and those statements are true. The fitness room is like many other older hotel when it was added to keep up with a changing clientele: small and dated but functional.

First--The hotel was fairly easy to find (off of route 73) and is relatively close to Philadelphia (which was our destination).

Second--Hotel was cordial but somewhat disinterested. We were gone for about 8 hours while in Philadelphia and the housekeeping staff failed to clean the room (we returned about 5pm). My wife only requested fresh towels but they never arrived (she called three times). She finally gave up since we were checking out tomorrow.

The shower tub did not drain very well (standing water each time we took a shower). Because we did not have housekeeping, my wife wound up cleaning the tub herself.

The bed was fairly comfortable.

For the price that we paid through priceline, it met the expectation but it is the only way that I would have been staying here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear silkburke12,

On behalf of the staff and management here at the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel Hotel, we sincerely apologize for the negative experience you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

Please be assured that this is not a regular occurrence in our hotel and that all your issues were addressed with the appropriate departments. In addition, thank you for bringing this to our attention as it is surveys like yours that can only help us improve the service and features of our hotel.

If your travel plans bring you back to the Mount Laurel, NJ area in the future, we hope you will consider staying at our hotel again to experience the service we normally provide our guests.

Best Regards,

The Staff and Management of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laure
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My wedding block received the worst customer service I have ever experienced at a hotel. I work at a family company and we all travel for trade shows very ofter. We are familiar with hotels that are at capacity or overbooked, but I have never experienced such horrible customer service as i did this past weekend for my wedding.
The first thing that went wrong was when my guests called the number to book their rooms they were told the rooms were full when they were not. Then we booked a shuttle service from the hotel to the reception and back. We had over 50 people staying at the hotel and requested a large bus, which was confirmed by the hotel months prior to the wedding. The shuttle that was booked only fit 8 people. When we called the hotel to advise of the mix up we were basically told "oh well". Then when my guests were checking in they double booked the rooms. When the guest got to their rooms there were already other people settled in to the room. When they went back down to the front desk they were told "oh well" again. My father had to cause a scene in the lobby before they were willing to fix the situation. After the wedding reception we went back to the hotel bar to hang out. The bartender was EXTREMELY RUDE!!
The hotel itself was nice, but that in no way made up for the horrid customer service. i would never recommend this hotel to anyone, and i also advised the reception company to stop recommending this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
agala, Manager at Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear ScoobyQ1980,

We are deeply troubled by the comments that you have shared with us; however, we are truly grateful that you have taken the time to bring these issues to our attention. We genuinely care about each and everyone one of our guests and take any feedback provided very seriously.

I would like to start by apologizing to you for any difficulties experienced by your guests while making their reservations. As you mentioned, the hotel was at capacity over your dates of stay, which often causes certain room types to become unavailable causing guests to have to reserve alternative room types.

With regard to your shuttle service, the hotel did provide our complimentary 14 passenger van as contracted with many of our wedding blocks. I am unsure as to why only 8 people boarded the shuttle at one time; however, the shuttle does have the capacity to transport 14 people at one time.

Again, I want to apologize to you and your guests for any negative service that they received during their stay with us. Your comments will be reviewed with the individual departments they pertain to and addressed.

Thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to service you in the future.

The Management & Staff of the Wyndham Philadelphia-Mount Laurel

Been to Wyndham Philadelphia - Mount Laurel? Share your experiences!