“Understaffed and unresponsive - not worth it!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Hotel ML

You added The Hotel ML to your Saves list
The Hotel ML
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   915 Route 73, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 (Formerly Marriott Mount Laurel)   |
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Near Atlantic City
“Understaffed and unresponsive - not worth it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed on March 17th for one night with my daughter and regretted it. Problems abounded and the excuse I heard over and over was, "Sorry we're under new ownership and getting on our feet". Check in was a bit of a wait since they had only two people on the desk but they did allow us to check in early and the bed was gorgeous. Coco Key was the nicest part of the trip - not having to walk outside was a big win. Upon arrival in our room on the 9th floor, I found zero brochures, instruction sheets and no phone overlays. That meant we couldn't make the TV change from the welcome screen and weren't sure how to reach the front desk or anyone else or what it would cost to use the phone. Four calls to the front desk later, I reached the desk and requested help with the TV. Three phone calls later and 2 and a half hours later, the LONE repairman for a SOLD OUT 280 room hotel arrived. After replacing the batteries in the remotes, the TV worked.

He explained there were new owners of the property and the new stationary wasn't fully available yet. I asked him to document the damaged soffit and the faucet in the tub hanging loose from the wall. We decided after he left to get room service;FIVE phone calls of at least 5 rings each connected me to the room service attendant. I requested the phone in 90 minutes and it still arrived 10 minutes late. It turns out she was the ONLY room service attendant on duty for all 280 rooms! To be fair the food was great and the manager who was aware of the issues so far gave a discount off the bill.

The internet is only free if you use your own PC, if you want to use the TV it says free trial UNTIL you try to load a page then it costs $9.95 and it was so slow we ended up turning it off without our page ever loading. The in room coffee maker would have been nice if I hadn't found something green ( maybe a pea?) in the basket.

But the part of the trip that caused me to call WRDC ( the owners in Ardmore PA) was the night time drama. There was a destination wedding in the hotel and guests weren't grouped together.The people would walk into the hall from their rooms, and scream for friends in other rooms on the hall. After two attempts by me to ask for quiet, I called the front desk and NO ONE ANSWERED. I couldn't drive home safely and I couldn't leave my child alone to go to the front desk so we were stuck. My daughter cried herself to sleep.

When I discussed this whole drama with a new manager, she apologized and admitted the residents of the floor were beyond belief so offered free day passes to Coco Key. I said I'd take it but later changed my mind. My daughter started crying to go home so she could sleep so I paid and we left. I thought about the experience - I paid $260 for a water park, dinner , and a three hour nap so I called WRDC.

Long story slightly shorter - yes I had a horrible experience there but unless I am willing to come back and stay again ( on their dime) I get nothing else from them. As I said to Rachel at WRDC in Ardmore, PA - what makes you think I am going to give you another chance to make my kid cry???!!

DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Langhorne, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed over night so my sons could use the water park. The hotel was average. Check in was average, the room was ok - there appeared to be black mold on the ceiling but otherwise it was clean enough, the heat worked well in the room, the bathroom was SMALL - maybe the smallest I have encountered ever in my life! The breakfast buffet was average. I would go back if I had another reason to stay in the area. The hall ways were LOUD even after 9 pm - presumably due to the waterpark. there were a LOT of unattended kids milling around the hotel.

northern nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Upon arrival we saw many families at the front desk and in the lobby area. Nice hotel overall; clean with comfy beds. We received good customer service at the front desk. I forgot to print out my Groupon for this trip and was told to go to the Business Center and get my printout. The internet service is free but very very slow - bring your own laptop if you need online access. After showing a voucher for a prepaid discounted room, we were asked to put up a credit card with a deposit of $100 to be held. No problem, although, I didn't recall the fine print stating we'd need to do this. Anyway, we were given a bottle of white wine as part of a romantic evening package. When we got to our room, we could hear children's laughter and noises. There was no ice on the floor and my husband had to go to two other floors before finding an ice machine, in order to chill the wine. The room was very basic, although again, it was very clean and the bed was super comfy. I'm glad I didn't spend the real price on this room as my husband and i were both disappointed.

There was a breakfast buffet included in our package and that was actually pretty good. A nice variety of hot and cold foods and a waitress to get the coffee for us.

Do not go for a romantic getaway, as it's a extremely child-friendly due to the indoor waterpark attached on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: if you're going with children request a room on the waterpark side. It's a long walk to get...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Western Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

A busload of families had arrived ahead of us, but five clerks handled the check-ins promptly. Our clerk was pleasant and concluded by emphasizing that we should just call if we need anything. Thishad been a Marriott but lost its affiliation after it added a water park. That attracts a lot of families. But we had a beautiful, clean, quiet room on the top floor. The linens were excellent. With so many families, the elevators were slow, and there were some smudge marks here and there. But our two-night stay was most enjoyable. The dining room looked nice. We did not eat there, but we saw a family eating an ample nicely served breakfast. There are plenty of places to eat or shop in the area, but you need your car to get to them. The hotel is along a divided highway, but it is easy to switch to the other direction by using the nearby interstate access ramp.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably are less noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I was so scared to stay here after I read the reviews. I got this pkg through a groupon which included access to the water park. I will put up my review on the water park separately.

Check-in
We arrived to the hotel around 1pm on a Saturday and there was a line. There were about 3 employees at the front desk and then it dropped down to 2 when the line was shorter. I think I waited about 5-10 minutes to check-in. Not terribly long. Once at the desk they ask you for the usual, a credit card for incidentals and a driver's license. I asked where we were situated on the floor in relation to the elevator and she told us midway up the hallway. We were in room 716. What I can suggest to anyone who wants to eliminate some of the noise is not to stay on the 1st floor, which is the same level as the waterpark. There is this really long hallway to take you to the park but everyone goes this way so you have to expect to hear noise. Ask to be placed on a higher floor and this should eliminate the foot traffic and most of the noise.

Room
The room itself was fine. Sure the carpet looked outdated but honestly if I did not read the previous reviews, I do not know that I would have noticed the carpet. The bedding was nice and updated, the pull out couch was to be expected. The room has a fridge and microwave which was nice since we were traveling with children. There is a flat-screen tv and the standard coffee machine and hair dryer in bathroom. The bathroom is nice with great lighting. Yes the water in the sink gets hot quick so make sure that your children are mindful of this or just turn on the cold water as well, problem solved. We did not have any issues with the water pressure in the shower or the temperature. What we did notice was that the water took a while to drain out of the tub. No big deal to us, it's not like we had to shower behind a stranger.

Dining
We didn't order room service or eat in any of the restaurants so I can't comment on this. The hostess from the restaurant did give us a few cookies for the kids and they were really good. We ate next door in the Aloft hotel there was a Miller Ale House that has a great selection of food and huge tvs if you are a sports buff. For dinner we went down to the Promenade to Redstone which was about a 15 minute drive south on 73 and for breakfast we went to Cracker Barrel which is about a 5 minute drive south on 73.

Hotel in general
The lobby is not big, but there is a nice bar area that seems to be recently renovated. The restaurant looked new as well. Yes the sign for the hotel is a piece of tarp covering an old sign. There is plenty of parking as well. The hotel offers video checkout which was nice as it prevented us from having to stand in line again. We had an issue with the ppl staying next door to us. It appears that there was a fraternity reunion of sorts and they were quite intoxicated. They were yelling in the hall and slamming the door at 11 at night. One call to the front desk and the problem was solved.

Overall the hotel was perfect for us staying overnight to go to the water park. I can't say that I would ever set out to stay here if I wasn't going to the water park but it was not horrible by any means. I have stayed at hotels around the world and I would say this is a 3.5 star hotel. Feel free to contact me via email if you have an specific questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor on one of the upper levels away from the water park and away from the elevators. Th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Coble78,

Thank you for taking the time to right such a detailed review on your stay as well as including tips for future guests. I'm glad to hear your overall experience at our hotel was a pleasant one and that you were able to enjoy the surrounding area restaurants in addition to our indoor water resort. I am also happy to hear that while you had a small challenge during your stay, our associates acted quickly to resolve it so you could continue enjoying the rest of your vacation.

Thank you again for visiting us. I hope you will join us again soon for your family's next getaway.

Guest Experience
Northeast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel is nothing short of a roadside dump. Terrible appearance from the outside, extremely poorly kept inside as well. Sure they may have replaced a few carpets, but it didn't help. Everything is filthy dirty. Carpets in desparate need of vaccuming, walls have patches everywhere, people literally camping out in public areas with their kids sleeping on the floor and in stairwells. That could be because they tell you check-in is at 4 but rooms aren't ready until much later. Our room was dirty as well, crumbs all over the floor and sliding doors covered in nastiness. Curtains were stained, dust on every surface. If they clean they obviously do a lousy job. As for the waterpark, wow. Totally filthy bathrooms. Floor covered in hair and slime, every single toilet was peed all over. The mysterious brown slime was also all over the pool areas, as well as wet toilet paper wads everywhere. I saw several toddlers with no swim diapers at all ( and obviously not potty trained), as well as several with overinflated regular diapers in the pool. That is an obvious health hazard to the guests and no one on the staff seemed to notice or care. Even more disturbing were the amount of kids I saw with bleeding wounds walking around with no one addressing them. They have a small medical area and there were kids getting stitches in there! Are you kidding me?! The whole park was completely understaffed. I saw one cleaning lady the whole day and she never left the bathroom area. Certainly no one cleaning the water park area or supervising. This place should be shut down by the health department! Absolutely awful, will never go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
travintimes,

I would first and foremost like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Hygiene, sanitation and guest safety are top priorities at our hotel and water resort and we take immediate steps to thoroughly address and investigate all claims.

I have spoken with Taryn Eisenman, our Director of Water Resort Operations, and she has confirmed for me that our water resort has at no time ever provided medical assistance (such as stitches) beyond guest requested first aid or emergency medial care. We also, in addition to our own strict regulations, comply and enforce all state required health regulations. Should you have any questions or would like to further discuss, please reach out to our Director of Water Resort Operations at taryn.eisenman@mtlaurelcocokey.com.

I thank you again for your time.

Guest Experience
New Hyde Park, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Hotel ML - This is an average hotel. I would not stay here again. The room thermostat takes forever to reach the required temperature. The water in the bathroom shower are super slow and there too the water temperature is very hard to adjust (not suitable for young children).

Dinner - I would not recommend the packages that come with food. The pizza (only choice for dinner) tastes horrendous. My wife got FOOD POISONED after eating the pizza, which forced us to cut short our stay at the resort and head home.

Breakfast at Hotel ML - Breakfast is decent but not all that tasty. There are choices of eggs/bacon/french toast/cereal/toast/ etc. However, for $40 a family for breakfast, I'm sure we can get better breakfast elsewhere. They DO NOT let you take a plate to your room for any reason (even though I stated that my wife got food poisoned). The person at the front was very rude.... although the rest of the staff was very professional and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
thehotelml, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel ML, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Sanmercy,

I am sorry to hear you didn't find some of the features and amenities of our hotel to your liking. I can assure you however that we have not received any reports concerning food poisoning in our hotel or water resort and we follow the strictest guidelines to ensure all food items are prepared to avoid such.

I am happy to hear you found our staff to be helpful and professional during your stay. We constantly provide customer service training and evoke the spirit of service in all of our Associates, so I also apologize for the rudeness you felt you were provided. I assure you we address all claims seriously during weekly meetings.

Guest Expereince

Been to The Hotel ML? Share your experiences!