“Some good, some bad” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Some good, some bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend while in town for family business. The hotel is set off a major roadway and convenient to food and shopping and I295 and the NJ TPKE but far enough off those roads to be relatively quiet. Check-in was convenient and the clerk was polite. The hotel has a convention center attached so it attracts large groups which was evident when we checked in by a registration table set up in the lobby. This worried me a bit. Parking was available but the number of posted signs in the lot warning of theft and the hotel not being responsible for same also worried me a bit. The room was clean and properly appointed for what you would expect from a suite. While the hotel seems dated, the room seemed relatively updated. Now, if I were to do it again, I would ask for a top floor room. Both nights we had the noise of footsteps above us running up and down the hallway. Both times we called the front desk for action. On the second night, we two different drunken fools banging on our door and shouting to be let in only to have the occupant of the room across from us come out of their room and bring their idiot friend into the right room. This ruined the stay for me. Regarding the restaurant, don't waste your time or money. There are plenty of better options nearby, except for Millers Ale House across the street - that might be the loudest restaurant I've ever eaten in with the most mediocre food. The hotel restaurant offered mediocre to poor quality food for breakfast and was ridiculously overpriced. That in conjunction with having to fight your way through a poorly designed buffet with the convention goers didn't help to start my day off right. Take the time and leave the hotel to go to one of NJ's famous diners a short drive from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in June, 2012 to attend a nearby wedding. The hotel is conveniently located near both the turnpike and I-295.

The suites are very spacious - separate sitting area from the bedroom, which is nice so you can close off one from the other. The sitting room has a sofa bed, fridge, safe and wet bar with sink. The bathroom has a separate area for the sink from the toilet and shower, which is also convenient when you have multiple guests. The only negative to the bathroom was that the toilet paper holder kept falling off the wall. When we reported it as a necessary repair upon our departure, they responded as it this was a common occurrence. The bedroom was comfortable and appeared relatively updated with the decor. We had one of the allergen-neutralizing rooms so the bedroom also had a hepa filter, which we turned down to low and therefore the noise wasn't terribly distracting.

The rooms are nicely decorated and the parking is sufficient. The only complaint we had was that we were on the 2nd floor, and both nights we stayed here we could hear children running up and down the hallway on the floor above us. Eventually both nights we had to call the front desk because the running continued later in the evening and we were trying to go to bed. The front desk seemed receptive to the complaint and indicated they would send someone to the 3rd floor. Since the noise stopped shortly thereafter, I can only assume they followed through on our complaint.

We had breakfast one morning at the hotel restaurant. $15 for their version of a "buffet" seemed excessive. They do not have a true "buffet" set up, and instead had a counter where you could order items like pancakes, eggs or french toast. There was no real "system" in place, so many guests would jump in front of others and it created a rather chaotic and somewhat rude environment. If they took the time to set up a true "buffet" it might make the cost worthwhile. They need to expand the items offered because what the options were for what we paid per person didn't match up.

Room Tip: Try for the 3rd floor so you don't have to worry about noise from anyone above you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Hotel has 204 rooms spread out with wings on 3 floors . Just for Ice it was quite a "stroll" from our room to locate machine.
There is not a (clear) lay out of the Hotel in the room. On back of door it shows a set up of "you are here", it is not helpful in the least.
It is also stated on door, Pool Rules. No Lifeguard, No swimming alone, open 6am- 10pm etc

The Pool was not open when I went to check it out . It was sometime after 6: am and the doors were still locked.

Restaurant on premise. They seat you to your table. Breakfast at least- did not try any other time.
Had I known that coffee is available only when their Restaurant is open I would have made coffee in the room before checking out first thing in morning.
Rough way to go.

I did however make coffee in room during my stay and Coffee Pot was interesting. You can make just 1 or 2 - 1cup Separate servings at the same time.
Warning it is Strong !

It is not the worse Hotel I've ever been in. Far from it. But word to the wise it most certainly is better suited for business and Not family travel. For my $$ I'll check out some other places.

Room Tip: Ask how far away you are to front Pool Ice Machine Long Hal lways
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Regensburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Nice pool, nice staff, quiet rooms, near to Philadelphia.

We will come back. Our stay was very good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Northborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Enjoyed my stay at this hotel while traveling with my family. Quick access from 295 and NJT. Hotel and room were clean, the furnishings were modern and well maintained and the service was both helpful and efficient.

Very good experience couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Compared to the hotels around this property, I found good value for what I paid at this property, plus I enjoyed e live entertainment in GiGi's restaurant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This place is the best, and close to a lot of attractions.
I have no words on the staff, They were better then best.

I was just not informed of no bathtub in room. This reservation was done by phone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Mount Laurel? Share your experiences!