“One Might Think .......” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Mount Laurel
Madison, Connecticut
“One Might Think .......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I must to respond to the guest with the cracked mirror.
Also an SPA Member (Gold) ~ ~ I have been at this property many times. I have had good experiences, and average experiences.

I believe the bottom line here is, and I mean "BOTTOM LINE" once again this is not a corporate property.
One which has complete, unaltered guidelines established by the hotel brand and their well trained management teams set forth for their product. This is why there are vice presidents for this and vice presidents for that. Regional directors. Additional directors. Manager of this and manager of that. I could list them but I won't as we all know they exist.
Properties that are owned individually or by small corporations have tendencies to not maintain the brand.
The cracked mirror has been floating around in several reviews from guests on this property for some time.
The glasses on the floor outside the door which remained far too long is simple laziness by any hotel employee. The housekeeping staff will not remove hotelware (ie: glasses from the bar or kitchen, dirty dishes from room service, etc.) If something is delivered by room service it is then cleared by room service. Generally, procedure dictates the guest call room service when their meal is completed. Server arrives and clears. Its quite clear that management has not instructed housekeeping or any other hotel employee to remove the glasses or dirty dishes. Being in hospitality, I would not pass the hallway if I saw something that needed to be cleared. I would not make a call to another department to correct the problem. I could, and would do it myself.

I understand this guest completely. I wish I would have had the opportunity to speak to this guest. I am management. I am old school trained.

Actually, I am irritated in reading what was written. I have complete sympathy for the guest. The bleach and damage on the sweater. That immediately necessitated a complimentary room for the evening. And with the valet, well, its inexcusable. Especially when dealing with a vehicle, regardless of price. What if it were a $100k Mercedes-Benz or BMW? The cavalier behavior in which the car was initially received and then delivered. No security on the property as written to us by the guest.
I am familiar with Fred, working at Bar 555, ever so quiet and professional. The dining room is Bellagio Ristorante. Consistently sparse in guests but some degree of food quality.
The hotel has a tremendous amount of misgivings.
It is time that corporate take a look at The West in Mount Laurel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

To begin, I am a ‘seasoned’ traveler, staying at many different hotels and chains and finally deciding after disappointment after disappointment to make the permanent switch, and joining the SPG program. I currently am a platinum member, one of their highest ‘loyalty’ program members, yet; if this had been my first experience in a Starwood hotel this would have certainly been my last. I never write reviews about properties, and normally would not, but I felt like my experience should be shared as a warning for others.

I booked a one night stay for me and my significant other (who happens to be a Starwood employee – so I know that my experience is not representative in the least bit of the brand standards).

We checked in at 3pm, and decided we would valet the car. We went through the entire check-in process, without ever seeing the valet attendant, or being asked if we would be needing these services. It wasn’t until I actually asked about it that the front desk agent took my keys and handed me a parking receipt. This seemed quite odd, but I went with it as I already asked for it, and was not interested in venturing back outside in the freezing cold weather.

We originally received a room on the 4th floor. This room had a mirror with a huge crack that ran through the front of it, and clothes from the prior guest (or maybe even the one before that?) in the closet. We immediately phoned to the front desk and informed them of this and requested a room change. I apologize, but I believe that sleeping in a room with a cracked mirror is bad luck, and that if the housekeeper neglected to notice clothing still hanging in the closet, I was not interested in learning what else was neglected.

We were kindly moved to another room on the opposite of the hotel, on the 5th floor. We saw two glasses of water outside our door, and housekeeper on the floor in the room on the opposite side of the hall so said nothing assuming she would move it when she finished. (She didn’t.) The mirror in this room was still cracked, but nowhere near as bad. (Perhaps the hotel should replace these mirrors, and determine if it’s the delivery, or warehousing of these mirrors that would cause multiple mirrors to be cracked in the same way.) There were no clothes in the closet so we decided to stay. My partner laid across the bed briefly and noticed that it was wet. At first we thought this was because of the rain, and thought maybe it was from our clothing. After a few minutes, I laid on the bed, and noticed that it smelled like chemical. I stood up touched the bed, and realized that it was wet and had a bleach like odor. I then confronted my partner who agreed. We started to put our shoes back on to go downstairs and inform the front desk when I noticed that my partners navy blue sweater was now bleached pink.

When we informed the front desk, we spoke with the supervisor who we said could go up to the room herself to smell it, but even she herself admitted that she was not surprised. (This should have been a huge red flag.) We said we would go to the bar as of this point neither one of us wanted to be in the room. The front desk supervisor said she would have the manager on staff speak with us. After a few drinks a kind young man that introduced himself as the head of housekeeping did come to speak to us, and admitted that there was something on the bed comforter that should have not been used on the comforter period and offered us ½ of the bill or points for the inconvenience. He assured us that his assistant was personally remaking our bed, and even bought us a round of drinks.

When we returned to the room, the glasses were still outside the door – after the housekeeper who was in the room across the hall when we checked in walked by it, and the head of housekeeper and his assistant was in and out of the room. I would have thought someone would have moved it. We went out for dinner, came back, went to sleep woke up and the next morning the glasses were still there.

We went to the restaurant for breakfast that was included in my rate, and was handed a bill for a penny! The bill read ‘Total Payment Due…$0.01.” I’m sorry if I’m overreacting, but as a platinum guest, a new SPG member, or a person not a part of the loyalty program at all – handing someone a check for a penny is insulting. It read to me as if the restaurant did not trust me to tip their staff. (It could be a computer glitch – but if it is it should be fixed, as I paid for breakfast with my rate so this is insulting.) Regardless, we left a tip and walked out.

During breakfast, we decided to go to the front desk and ask for change - and it wasn’t until that point that we mentioned this glass not being removed after being there since before we checked in. When we finally returned to our room the dirty glasses outside our room were finally removed.

All in all, I believe this property has potential – but I will not be returning any time soon. I am happy that I have had the opportunity to stay at other hotels, and experience the true SPG brand. I appreciated being offered points/money off my bill for my inconvenience, but would have much preferred to enjoy my current stay.

The main issues with this hotel are a lack of attention to detail and care by the housekeeping staff, poor communication between departments. They all need a management overhaul, or some addition training in paying more attention and care that needs to be provided to the property, cleaning, and guests as the hotel will not continue its existence if they are not having guests stay there, and having a good time. Not to mention, the elevator on the 5th floor’s down button is broken, so you must go up to go down, there were rooms on the floor with no room number on the wall.

I had a horrible stay. The best part about my entire stay was the bartender Fred. He was an awesome bartender, that told the other bartenders how to make drinks they did not know how to make, and truly knew how to mix drinks. He offered to make a blueberry lemonade martini for us, realized he had no lemonade and decided to make his own to make sure we enjoyed our drinks. If this property did not have Fred to offer a friendly smile, and offer good service, my review of this hotel would have been way longer, and much worse.

Also, the front desk supervisor (who’s name I can not remember) was very good, and deserves recognition. Every issue we had she was able to handle with no issue. When I called down to retrieve my car from valet, we did not get it after 15 minutes, I went to the desk, asked her about the status she said she’d follow up, then momentarily my car arrived, with her driving it around. All in all I believe she tried to make the best of my stay beyond all the other issues that could not be overlooked.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I will never stay in another Westin again.

1) When I arrived and got to my floor four police officers were escorting guests off of my floor and out of the hotel.

2) There is a very large mirror above the desk in my room, it is broken.

3) When I tried to use the portable phone in my room to call the front desk for a wake up call, the phone was broken.

4) When I reported the broken mirror, and broken phone, to the front desk immediately after checking in I was not even offered a room change.

Why put me on a floor where the police are involved in an altercation with guests? Why have a room with broken mirrors and phones? I will be posting pictures later.

• Stayed January 2014
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Mr. Bruner,
Once again, please accept my apologies for the less than satisfactory visit you had at our hotel.
I am glad that I had the opportunity to talk to you personally about this and and express my apology directly to you.
Now that some time has passed I do hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are in the area. Please call my office so that i can personally handle your reservation.
Thank you.
Reagards,
U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Very comfortable, clean room. After a long drive, our room was exactly what we needed. The staff at check-in was helpful. The room was very spacious and offered all of the amenities you come to expect from Westin. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear SO22,

Thank you for your favorable review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to Mount Laurel. I do hope your travels bring you back to us soon and often.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Rooms were somewhat clean and had enough space. They provided with the necessary items and were nice enough to give me razor when called. Breakfast was ok but we had to wait 10 mins for coffee and egg one morning. The staff weren't helpful and often didn't know a lot about the property. I was on the executive floor the food put out there was a joke and often time was dry and no one took care of the items there. it was left open. Only used it to get bottle of water. I would stay elsewhere like the Homewood suites or garden inn by Hilton nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gnada,
We were very sorry to read that you were not totally satisfied with your visit to our hotel in Mount Laurel. We do sincerely apologize that we did not live up to your expectations.
I can assure that I have already reviewed your comments with the management staff to insure that we recognize those areas that need improvement quickly.
Once again please accept our apologies. I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

In town for a family wedding, we were very pleased with our accomodations from the professional, attentive and courteous desk staff to the bedding, towels and room amenities, Decor is soothing and minimal, lobby area comfortable and inviting. We enjoyed a very nice late dinner in "Bellagio" and were impressed by the wait staff, food quality and value. It is one of many options in this area, and it suited us just fine.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a highway at an intersection, but we noticed nothing unusal or disturbing from outsi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Maryjane,
Thank you very much for your positive comments about our hotel and our staff. i will make sure to let the staff know that you were impressed with both the quality of the hote and the level of service given by our team.
We do hope that you have the opportunity to visit our area again so that we may thank you in person. I can assure you that we will make every effort to provide you with another satisfying stay.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

A disappointing property. The bed was comfortable, but the overall cleanliness was sub-par. There was a massive stain on the carpet outside of my door as well as on the chaise lounge in the room. The letters on the iron were work off so I had to estimate the setting. The bathroom faucet was loose. The overall property seems a bit "worn" and dated.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Martin F, General Manager at The Westin Mount Laurel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Germatt2,
I sincerely apologize that you were disapointed in some aspects of your visit to our hotel. You raised some very valid points which cannot be disputed or ignored. I can tell you that all items and areas you mentioned will be addressed. Although we try to everything correctly and provide a great property for our guests we do sometimes miss the basics.
Again, thank you for your comments. We certainly appreciate it.

Martin Faye

Been to The Westin Mount Laurel? Share your experiences!