“Surly staff” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 27 hotels in Mount Laurel
Delaware
“Surly staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

My family and I wanted an overnight getaway to include Sahara Sam's waterpark. The Hampton Mt. Laurel is one of the hotels listed on the waterpark website as a partner, was reasonably priced and offered discount park tickets. We should've chosen another partner.

Lisa at the front desk was efficient but not very friendly nor accomodating. I wanted to pay for the room with cash, like I do with every hotel I visit, but Lisa would not let me check in until I presented a credit card. I have never had any problem checking in anywhere with cash. Also, I asked for a rollaway bed but was told that since there are two beds in my room I could not get a cot. Never heard that one before either.

Once my family and I got to the room I was disappointed to find double beds (but just barely doubles! Barely larger than twin-size.) I was expecting queen-sized beds, but maybe I just read the website wrong. By chance we had an air mattress in the car from a previous road trip, so my son slept on the air mattress on the floor. Unnecessary, I believe, but since they wouldn't give me a rollaway we made do.

We had forgotten to pack a few items so my wife requested the complimentary toothpaste at the front desk. She was given the item, but not before the clerk rolled her eyes and handed it to her with the very curt "Here". Not "Is there anything else you need?", but "Here". Quite rude.

We requested the discounted tickets to Sahara Sam's as advertised. The clerk directed me to the computer in the lobby and let me know that I should go on Sam's website and purchase the tickets. Since I had made it clear to her that I do not use credit cards, the internet purchase was impossible. The sales manager got on the phone to Sahara Sam's and found that they would grant me the discount at their ticket office. So do yourself a favor and if you use credit cards buy your discount tix in advance online.

Breakfast was adequate. Standard fare. I can't comment on the hot foods as I only ever eat food from a hotel that is sealed and has brand names, like the cereal, fruit and yogurt.

There are plenty of hotels in Mount Laurel, so next time I will choose a different one.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We have stayed in various Hampton Inns before and generally prefer them for a "budget" hotel experience. The one in Mt Laurel, NJ has okay location but these were the cons:

1) Reservation was for a family of four but the room only had towels for three. Front desk had us go to pick up the extra towels.

2) The room had only one accessible outlet. It was a pain plugging phone chargers, computers or even an iron. Eventually maintenance had to bring in a power strip and move a bed to install it.

3) The rooms do not have wireless Internet. They do have free wired (Ethernet). There is wireless only in the lobby.

4) The breakfast was dissappointing. Waffles were stale and rubbery. Sausage was dried out mystery meat that looked like burnt hot dog slices. The fruit salad had a strange taste. The bagels and pastries were okay. My kids refused to go back the second day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

Typical Hampton, decent breakfast (can't beat the price!).

The first room we were provided had a terrible odor. We reported it to the front desk and were moved to a new room immediately (without the smell).

Smoking rooms were on the first floor, so you had to walk through them to get to any other rooms, which was a little frustrating.

Otherwise, an uneventful, average stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

I spent 3 nights here for business travel. The hotel is on a major road about two miles south of the NJ turnpike, but is set back far enough that noise from the road is inaudible. The room was standard Hampton Inn, with a mini-fridge and microwave. There is a Chili's right next to the hotel. Front desk staff was pleasant and welcoming, and breakfast was well-stocked (with fruit, coffee and tea available all day). Only complaints were lack of a fitness center and thin walls - I could hear the phone conversation of the woman in the room next to me, as well as her alarm in the morning. Overall, a good price, convenient location and clean rooms.

• Liked — Location, price, fridge and microwave in room
  • Disliked — Noise from other rooms and no fitness center
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

Was greeted by a warm and cheery front desk clerk. Check in and check out was speedy. The room was clean, bedding very comfortable and was quiet. I was there on a Friday night, the hotel seemed full. Breakfast was plentiful and the staff very pleasant.
I would stay there again on my next visit.

JP, Fort Mill, SC

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woodbridge NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

I booked a room at this hotel for a one night stay and reserved a One bed/one sofa bed room through the Hampton Inn website.
When I arrived for my stay, I was told my room was not ready and to come back in 2 hours at 3pm checkin and it would be, which was no problem. I was told this by a person who was in housekeeping , who was behind the desk in place of the manager. When I came back at 3:30 pm I was told by the manager that my room was GIVEN AWAY to someone who was already staying at the hotel in the room I reserved. I was offered a room with one bed, but I was traveling with another person and this was not acceptable. The manager made NO effort to rectify the situation, insisting that I had better take the room that was offered or cancell the reservation and go somewhere else. As rudely as he acted, I chose to go somewhere else. It seems that he couldnt get it through his head that if someone reserves a room and is offered something less for the same price that that person is being shortchanged, and his incompetance cost his hotel business for the future from me. I will never reserve a room at a Hampton Inn or Hilton (which owns Hampton) because of this.

I wish I could have told you about the room, but I never got to see it, but I can tell you that the hotel is a bit rundown and the breakfast area is quite small for a hotel of this size.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the staff, especially the manager
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
York, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Front desk staff was most helpful and accomodating, they were able to provide directions that were precise and they were friendly.
The room was a tad smallish, had a desk and desk chair, 2 queen beds, was a bit difficult to get around. The TV's operate on some kind of delay, had trouble turning it on, if finally came on but upon calling the front desk they said they had a delay on them, not sure why the need for that, this was the first hotel I ever stayed at that had such a system.
The room heater and AC was noisy and vibrated when it kicked on at times it woke us, the temps could be controlled fine but it was noisy.
The beds and pillows were comfortable and clean and the shower was clean and well stocked with towels, soap etc.
Breakfast area was clean and the offerings were adequate and the staff kept things neat and had plenty of food available.
The property was clean and the housekeeping staff friendly.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Philadelphia Mt. Laurel? Share your experiences!