“Great place if you're backpacking through Europe” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #8 of 27 hotels in Mount Laurel
Springfield, Virginia
“Great place if you're backpacking through Europe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This place is terrible. Hands down one of the worst properties I've ever stayed in. If I were 25 years younger, traveling through Europe on a shoestring budget, and used to sleeping on the floor, I would probably think this place was nice. Honestly, it's little better than a hostel.

Where to start? The decor is a combination of high school and jail cell, and the rooms resemble overnight train compartments. The bedding is awful - the comforter looked like it had been stuffed with cotton balls. The walls of my room were scuffed in odd places, and the carpet in the hallway looked like it had suffered recent water damage. When I stepped off the elevator, there was a huge trashbag filled with garbage that stayed there for several hours.

As I was putting some things away, someone came right into my room. It was housekeeping, who then was embarrassed because she hadn't knocked - she sort of threw a towel out me and then ran out. I'd go on to complain about the food and service at the evening reception my company held for us in one of the Aloft "meeting spaces," but it would just be a continued rant.

After three hours here, I checked out and called a friend to stay at her place instead.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hello, Aloft Hotels are a modern approach to travel that offers loft-inspired spaces and a social atmosphere, which actually is very much like a European hostel! The layout and design is meant to encourage guests to meet and mix in the common areas. I do apologize for the wear and tear you noticed in and around your guestroom. Please know that we are working on consistently maintaining our property. Now that our Regional Chief Engineer is back full time, these issues should be repaired in no time! The bag that you noticed just off the elevator should not have been there and I am sorry that you noticed it. I will address this, and the situation you experienced with the re:fresh attendant in your guestroom, with our new Executive Housekeeper. Also, I am very surprised that you were not impressed with our meetings and events team. As you can see from other reviewers below, we do throw fantastic social and corporate events with great food and drink. Since you have a friend in the area, next time you visit them, we hope that you will stay with us or check out our W XYZ Bar events calendar to see what entertainment we are have in our lounge area. And if you are not coming this way any time soon, I hope that you do try to out another Aloft Hotel to experience what the brand truly has to offer to independent and modern travelers.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Spent one night there for my 45th High School reunion. Rooms were very modern with an amazing vanity (2 sinks). Very comfortable beds. No closet, really, except for a shallow curtained-off area in the bathroom. No bureaus or drawers, either. I guess the hotel is meant for very short stays. The ballroom for the reunion (about 150 people) was great with a nice dance floor. Catering was good--pasta station, carving station, starters of meatballs, cheese, veggies, wraps, etc. Cash bar was good, reasonable, and fast with a very accommodating staff. One weird thing--ice machines were not available on the floors--you had to go to a machine next to the front desk. This was not something I wanted to do late at night or early in the morning. Also ran out of toilet paper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Linda, Congratulations on celebrating your 45th HS Reunion with friends! We're honored that you chose to host this event with us, and I'm pleased to hear that you stayed overnight so that your could enjoy the party and not have to drive home exhausted from dancing! I'm glad you enjoyed your loft-inspired guestroom, platform bed, and large vanity! We do not have typical storage space in the lofts because we are not a typical hotel! All Aloft Hotels are of loft design, minimalistic in style with clean lines and modern spaces. I do apologize for ice not being on the floors, and any time you should run out of bathroom amenities, our re:fresh or front desk teams would be pleased to run them up to you! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the ballroom space as much as you enjoyed your loft guestroom. We host events up to 350 guests with all different types of menus and bar packages. I'm excited to hear that you enjoyed the private bar, food and dancing. Afterall, that's what makes a great party, right?! I hope you get to stay with us again for the 50th!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here when I was traveling back from Baltimore, MD and I was too tired to continue the rest of the way back to New York. Its location, not too far from the NJ Turnpike, was ideal so that once I woke up and got refreshed, I could hit the road and continue my trip back to New York. The hotel was nearly sold out that night, so they only had two double bedrooms available, which was fine (although my preference is a king). My only complaint was that some of the pillows were missing pillow cases and one of them was a bit dirty. I called the front desk and they offered to swap out the pillows, but everything was adequate for the night.

The front desk staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. The service was top-notch and certainly to be expected from a Starwood-brand hotel. If I'm ever passing between NY and points south and need a place to spend the night to safely get rest, I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Josh, We're proud to have been a one night pit stop for you to rest your head on your road trip. I'm glad you found our location to be very convenient, so that you could hop right on the Turnpike with refreshed eyes the next day! Thank you for understanding the room type situation, I'm glad you were still comfortable in a Double Queen as opposed to the King Loft you would have preferred. I am so sorry about the pillowcases being missing and dirty, and I'm glad that our front desk took action to fix this incident quickly. Overall, I am pleased that your experience was well worth the pit stop! We do pride ourselves on a-list service and exceeding our guest's expectations each time they stay with us. Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Starwood Brand and we're looking forward to the next time you stop through!
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed at the Aloft for one night, and it was refreshing to be in something modern.
Most hotels are generic, and you have a hard time remembering them. The Aloft was definitely memorable with the modern design aesthetic.
Only downside was the comfort of the bed. I wish they had the Heavenly Beds that most Starwood properties have.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Wandy, We're so glad that you were pleasantly surprised with your first stay at an Aloft! I'm glad you enjoyed the new experience Aloft Hotels provides. I'm sad to hear that you did not enjoy the comfort of our platform beds. Generally, we get great compliments about them, but we understand that the bed can be too soft for some guests. I;m glad you enjoyed the look and feel of the hotel and do hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon.
Haddon Heights, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding party at the Aloft Mount Laurel. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. I was with the bride and groom when they first went to check out the Aloft, from the moment we walked in it was a great experience. We were shown the Sweet Suite, cocktail area and then the ballroom. Then I went back another time with the bride and groom and was treated as if I was the one getting married. Everyone there was super nice and very accomidating! The night of the wedding was awesome! Everything went off so smoothly!!! And I have to give a special thanks to Desiree the event planner! She was so great! She was on top of everything....Everything we needed she was 5 steps ahead of all of us. And very great with the kids in the party (there were alot of them!) Also wanted to say a big thank you to our great waiter Elijah. I never had an empty glass!!!! LOL!
Love love loved the Aloft!!!!
PS.....I know the bride and groom were extremely happy with it too!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Jenn, Congratulations to the bride and groom! We love weddings at Aloft and are excited that you had a great time from the start of the planning process with the bride! We try our best to deliver personalized service for each couple and I'm glad that was apparent from your first meetings with Chenoa. We are grateful for have Desiree, our Catering Manager, on our team! She is creative and passionate about what she does. I'm so glad Des, Elijah, and the talent team were able to make the bride and groom's vision come to life and deliver a great party. We just love love and it shows!
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here many times since it opened. Decent rates, convenient location. Minimalist style in the rooms, so if you want luxury, this isn't it. Polite staff. It is also quiet when you are in the rooms. The lobby bar is a pick up scene on many nights and can be loud. But on other nights, it is totally quiet and a pleasant place for a nightcap. My only beef with this place is that the room clealineas is very inconsistent. Sometimes it is perfect--clean, tidy, and fine-- while other visits have been yucky (floor stain, garbage in the bin when we checked in, etc.). Overall, a win. I prefer it to other places in the area even though it has now been open for several years.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We're thrilled to hear that you have had many great stays with us at Aloft Mount Laurel. We sincerely care about the service and quality of the amenities we supply to our guests. Thank you for your great comments about our reasonable rates, great location, quiet and comfortable guestrooms, polite and attentive talent team, and the W XYZ Bar scene! I'm disappointed that you have noticed inconsistent tidiness. We have had a change in our housekeeping supervisory roles and do not foresee this type of situation being a problem for future stays with us. Overall, I'm glad you have had a-list experiences at our hotel. We will continue to deliver sassy, savvy service.
Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel is very "mod" - lots of flat reflective surfaces and minimalist décor. The lobby was attractive but austere. Unfortunately, the minimalism extends to the guest rooms as well. This is definitely NOT the place to stay if you have more than a modest amount of luggage - there are no drawers, just a few small shelves. The "closet" is a curtained area no more than a foot deep opposite the sinks, with space to hang perhaps as many as 8 garments if they aren't bulky. Bedroom lighting is equally sparse. One end of the room was so dim that it was impossible to read when sitting in the provided easy chair - our impression was that whoever designed the décor assumed that guests only want to watch TV (we don't!), or work at the poorly-lighted desk.
The beds were very oddly made up. At first glance, it looked as though there was a family of turtles (or grapefruits) under the coverlet. Actually, the duvets had apparently been washed so often that all of the filling had clumped into large lumpy wads. Upon removing the duvets so that we could sleep in comfort, we then discovered that whoever had made up the beds had put the top sheets on SIDEWAYS (!) - they trailed to the floor on either side, and the "bottoms" (side edges) of the sheets were short-sheeted at least a foot above the bottom of the mattress. This was the most bizarre bedding configuration we have ever seen in our travels.
To be fair, the beds themselves were reasonably comfortable, the lighting in the washbasin area was good, and the dual basins allowed us to both wash up simultaneously in the morning. The cube fridge was a nice extra. If you need ice, it is to be found in the lobby food area, in plastic pre-measured sacks. The room would probably do just fine for a one night stay for a business traveler (but check the sheets before retiring).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Teresa N, Social Media Manager at Aloft Mount Laurel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello and thank you for reviewing your stay, we are always learning through the eyes of our guests. Aloft offers a trendy space with loft-inspired rooms, so the closet and storage space in our guestrooms is of loft-style. Which means, the room is more like a studio in design and layout. I'm sorry to hear that your found the lighting in your guestroom sparse. We don't normally hear that feedback from our guests, but we do appreciate you bringing this item to our attention. I'd also like to apologize for the "turtle convention" in your duvet and appreciate your sense of humor regarding the bedding! In addition to that, you must think we're a little sideways for putting your sheet sideways. If you wanted your sheets fixed we would have had someone remake it for you. I will share your review with our Housekeeping Manager who will need to review our bedding procedures with our re:fresh attendants. Overall, I'm pleased that you slept well on our plush platform mattress, and enjoyed the double sinks and mini fridge in your guestroom. I do hope we will see you again soon, so that you can enjoy the true platform bed experience from Aloft.

Been to Aloft Mount Laurel? Share your experiences!